Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Or, they're working with more information than we are...
    Finally someone with a little commonsense. All is not always as it appears:

One last thing on Dwyer … it wasn’t the coaching staff that wanted him gone.
    — Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly_Trib) [URL="https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/statuses/374380721105674240"]September 2, 2013[/URL]
    The Steelers ran into salary cap problems and Dwyer took the hit, saving the team $1.3M. Enough to bring in some options for other critical needs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dwyer is gone. I'm OK with that. He will never be and Adrian Peterson clone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Finally someone with a little commonsense. All is not always as it appears:

The Steelers ran into salary cap problems and Dwyer took the hit, saving the team $1.3M. Enough to bring in some options for other critical needs.
    Kaboly is usually the worst of the Steelers beat writers. He was the one who stated a few years ago that Starks was absolutely not coming back, just a month or so before he was resigned.

The salary could have been an issue, but the Steelers are something like $3-4 million under the cap. A salary of $1.3 million is less than the average for a starter. If Dwyer could have gotten the job done, he would be in Pittsburgh.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Kaboly is usually the worst of the Steelers beat writers. He was the one who stated a few years ago that Starks was absolutely not coming back, just a month or so before he was resigned.

The salary could have been an issue, but the Steelers are something like $3-4 million under the cap. A salary of $1.3 million is less than the average for a starter. If Dwyer could have gotten the job done, he would be in Pittsburgh.
    Koboly was the one that guaranteed that Plax was going to sign when he visited.... only to go to the Jets for the year.

He takes random guesses like this in hopes of being the one to "break news".
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't understand much about the decisions over the past few months.

Ta'amu gets into his mess, the Steelers help him, keep him on the team and he plays good in the pre-season, then they cut him
    Dwyer comes into camp overweight the previous 2 years, he gets to camp in good shape, runs the ball well in pre-season, then they cut him
    Guy Whimper is rated the worst tackle in the league last year, the Steelers sign him and then treat him like he's irreplaceble
    Butler and Moorman battle for punting duties all camp, Butler wins, Mesko gets brought in after cuts, he's not tremendously better than Butler, Butler is released
    Jarvis Jones is arounnd the ball all pre-season and making splash plays, you can barely tell worilds is on the field and he gets the start
    Jones comes in without knowing the offense and blitz package pickups, runs hard, picks a few blitzes and looks good catching the ball, I can barely recall Redmon being on the field in the pre-season and he gets the start
    Shamarko Thomas is lighting up receivers, making plays, Gay is getting burned multiple times for TDs, I'd give Thomas a chance at nickel.
    Hawthorne looked like a great athlete, he's injured I get it, but why not try and stash him on the PS?

Just sketchy to me, it almost seems that the Steelers are meandering with no real direction.

Pappy
    Ill give uou The max/whimper thing.

Everything else is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Dwyer was here long enough. The staff knows what he brings. With red and bell (2 big backs) on the roster. I like the change they want to go with in jones

butler faded badly late in the year. And killed us in one game (can't recall who) when he was unable to get a punt downed inside the 10 on like 3/4 punts. That killed our field position letting the. Start on the 20 while we punted from their side of the field. If I remember correctly, might have been the cinci game. Mesko is better, no doubt about it

RE: Hawthorne. I've never seen so much angst towards releasing a 5 th round draft pick. Oh wait yes I have. Crezdon butler got a similar reaction. And has bounced from team to team in his short career. I expect to see something similar happen to Hawthorne. Let it Go, eveeverybody

worldis over jones isn't a mystery if you've paid attention to this team and its recent draft picks. Or I should say its recent defensive draft picks. It's puzzling but not surprising at all. It was the reason why I was against drafting a defensive player aside from jones who I thought would play quicker(that's what the FO told is) cause he played in a 3-4 at Georgia

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Ill give uou The max/whimper thing.

Everything else is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Dwyer was here long enough. The staff knows what he brings. With red and bell (2 big backs) on the roster. I like the change they want to go with in jones

butler faded badly late in the year. And killed us in one game (can't recall who) when he was unable to get a punt downed inside the 10 on like 3/4 punts. That killed our field position letting the. Start on the 20 while we punted from their side of the field. If I remember correctly, might have been the cinci game. Mesko is better, no doubt about it

RE: Hawthorne. I've never seen so much angst towards releasing a 5 th round draft pick. Oh wait yes I have. Crezdon butler got a similar reaction. And has bounced from team to team in his short career. I expect to see something similar happen to Hawthorne. Let it Go, eveeverybody

worldis over jones isn't a mystery if you've paid attention to this team and its recent draft picks. Or I should say its recent defensive draft picks. It's puzzling but not surprising at all. It was the reason why I was against drafting a defensive player aside from jones who I thought would play quicker(that's what the FO told is) cause he played in a 3-4 at Georgia
    I'm not mad about the Hawthorne cut. I'm mad about the selection because it is obvious the guy was doomed from the beginning.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    I don't have the link, but I read somewhere that Tomlin had said that the reason they replaced Butler with Mesko is because Butler had difficulty in cold weather, and Mesko has been kicking in the cold since high school. He went to HS in Ohio and college at Michigan. Solid reasoning for a Pittsburgh punter.

I hear ya on this, but I still believe that Jones is the starter if he doesn't get hurt and miss time. He was making plays and will have a short learning curve on this D. He will be in the starting lineup by the first game after the bye at the latest.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If Dwyer could have gotten the job done, he would be in Pittsburgh.
    completely agree...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

If you take a look at Butler's net punting average, it dropped significantly from October to November and December...

IIRC, his net was around 43 in October and dropped to around 36 in November...in December, it climbed back up to 38 or so, but that's also when his average was skewed by the 79 yard rolling punt...

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah. The game I was referring to where he and the ST failed to down a punt was late in the year = cold.

I and a couple others at the bar complained about him badly missing some punts. Like they were landing in the end zone and not even giving ST a chance to down it... that's unacceptable