Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kellen Davis?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kellen Davis?

Steelers showed interest two years in a row. He was released by the Browns. Is he better than our current options? Spaeth to IR with designation & sign Davis? Thoughts?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Davis would be an upgrade over Palmer as a serviceable TE to hold down the fort until Heath is healthy. I also think he would be fine as a #2 or #2 TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think Davis would be an upgrade over Palmer as a serviceable TE to hold down the fort until Heath is healthy. I also think he would be fine as a #2 or #2 TE.
    I actually think Plamer may be better than we give him credit for. He has to be better than David Johnson who I have to think is on the team only in case Will Johnson gets hurt at FB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If it was still preseason I would cast off Palmer quickly to bring in Davis. I still would feel much better at this point about the TEs if it was Paulson & Davis as #1 & #2 and D Johnson as #3 while backing up D Johnson. It would be a big upgrade to have Paulson & Davis in 22 personnel instead of Paulson & Palmer. I think the Steelers will feel it right out of the gates with two "at best" below average inline blocking TEs. You could work with one off the LOS or HBack type but not having that inline TE will be felt in the running game. Paulson got better than last year but he still has work to do. D Johnson looked ok inline but he doesn't have his leg at full strength yet...I noticed that. He was trying to win with angles & positioning and that will get the RB lit up when he faces a good DL/OLB...It could be trouble.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers need a TE that can block, not a pass-catching TE. There are enough WRs and RBs to handle pass-catching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If it was still preseason I would cast off Palmer quickly to bring in Davis. I still would feel much better at this point about the TEs if it was Paulson & Davis as #1 & #2 and D Johnson as #3 while backing up D Johnson. It would be a big upgrade to have Paulson & Davis in 22 personnel instead of Paulson & Palmer. I think the Steelers will feel it right out of the gates with two "at best" below average inline blocking TEs. You could work with one off the LOS or HBack type but not having that inline TE will be felt in the running game. Paulson got better than last year but he still has work to do. D Johnson looked ok inline but he doesn't have his leg at full strength yet...I noticed that. He was trying to win with angles & positioning and that will get the RB lit up when he faces a good DL/OLB...It could be trouble.

I think D Johnson will be a problem. He hasn't done anything all preseason and wasn't good when he could train at full speed.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    From what I've seen of Paulson, even going back to college film, he is a pretty decent blocker when he is on the move. He is effective in some of the formations where he lines up off the line of scrimage and hits somebody on the move.

As an inline blocker, yeah, he has problems.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers need a TE that can block, not a pass-catching TE. There are enough WRs and RBs to handle pass-catching.
    You are right. Davis is better than anyone on the roster at blocking. Davis is NOT regarded as a pass catching TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

No matter who we have at TE aside from Miller, we've got some super talented players at WR and RB that can make plays in the open field. I think it makes a lot of sense to go with 3/4 WR packages for the majority of snaps. The edge we have on offense (besides Ben) is we have some great open field runners in AB, Jones, Howling, Manny, and Wheaton. If Haley's smart, he'll spread things out to give these 5 opportunities to run in the open field.

Paulson, DJ, Palmer, Davis, whoever we might bring in are all just mediocre NFL players. I say you adjust until Heath gets back and put the best 5 skill players on the field. And you always have Beachum who's gonna be a better blocker than any of the TEs anyway if we really want to go jumbo and force the run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    No matter who we have at TE aside from Miller, we've got some super talented players at WR and RB that can make plays in the open field. I think it makes a lot of sense to go with 3/4 WR packages for the majority of snaps. The edge we have on offense (besides Ben) is we have some great open field runners in AB, Jones, Howling, Manny, and Wheaton. If Haley's smart, he'll spread things out to give these 5 opportunities to run in the open field.

Paulson, DJ, Palmer, Davis, whoever we might bring in are all just mediocre NFL players. I say you adjust until Heath gets back and put the best 5 skill players on the field. And you always have Beachum who's gonna be a better blocker than any of the TEs anyway if we really want to go jumbo and force the run.
    We have talent but Haley's offense is geared to down & distance football. We will always see the high percentage TOP offense that slows down the game & speeds up the clock. TEs are highly important & productive in that offense so if Paulson, Palmer, & Johnson don't step up...We will see struggles. The Beachum at TE is just what it is...An emergency situation. Lining an OL up at TE in this offense is inviting a DC to send +1 to his side. The DCs will continue to do that until the Steelers show Beachum can make a play from TE and he can't. 3rd or 4th & short or goaline...It has merit but between the 20's it is just giving the D an advantage.