Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers select four as team captains

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers select four as team captains

Steelers select four as team captains

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Respect. It’s not something that is just handed out, it has to be earned. And when it comes to football, there is only one way to earn it...work hard and give it your all every practice, every game, every time you take the field, and in everything you do off the field.

Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel, Maurkice Pouncey and Ben Roethlisberger live by that approach, and that is why they were voted by their teammates as the Steelers’ 2013 team captains.

“It’s touching. Words can’t explain it,” said Pouncey. “It’s humbling and exciting at the same time. It’s a great accomplishment and I appreciate it. Words can’t even explain how I feel right now.”

Roethlisberger has been a captain five out of the last six years on offense, but this is the first time that Pouncey was voted an offensive captain. His leadership really showed this offseason when he got the offensive line together to work out at the team’s practice facility well before they were required to be there, always encouraging guys to keep at it.

“It comes natural to me to get guys going,” said Pouncey. “There is a lot that comes with it. Being a captain you are one of the guys that everyone on the team counts on. You have to come every week ready to play.”

This is the first time Clark has been voted a defensive captain, and for a player who is often outspoken, he joked that it “almost” left him speechless as well.

“It’s probably the biggest honor I have received as a football player,” said Clark. “The men in this building that play on our team mean so much to me. I am not going to change. I am not going to be any different. It’s those things I have done that have allowed me to be voted captain. It’s important to lead the young men on this team and the older guys to set an example on and off the field.”

This is the second straight year Keisel was voted a captain and he understands what comes with the responsibility.

“Any time your teammates vote you as a leader and they respect you, it’s a tremendous honor,” said Keisel. “It’s something I don’t take lightly and the other three guys don’t either. We have several guys in this locker room that are leaders that might not be captains, so it’s going to be a collective effort to get ready to go and win games.

“I think the biggest thing I learned last year as a captain is don’t hesitate. If I feel something, say something. You know the team respects you in that regard and will listen to you. That is the biggest thing, if you see something don’t hesitate to say it.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...c-facf69a9d30b[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Congrats Ben, Maurkice, Brett, and Ryan. Now go lead us to some victories.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Besides walking out on the field for the coin toss and shaking hands with other team captains, what do these guys really do?

Starter

User Info Menu

I hope this anointment grows Pouncey up a little.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I hope this anointment grows Pouncey up a little.
    I don't care if Pouncey grows up. I just want him to start playing like he did his rookie year and stop the downward spiral.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Besides walking out on the field for the coin toss and shaking hands with other team captains, what do these guys really do?
    Play quarterback, center, defensive end, and free safety.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't care if Pouncey grows up. I just want him to start playing like he did his rookie year and stop the downward spiral.
    Yeah, I would like to see him play up to his reputation.

I don't love the idea of Pouncey as a leader. Of the young offensive guys, I would have even preferred Brown. He has been a bit immature in the past, but he has a crazy work ethic.

Among the offensive lineman, I'd prefer to see DD take a leadership role. I understand that he needs to do more on the field first, but I would prefer to see him in a leadership role over Pouncey.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Pouncey isn't a leader.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Pouncey isn't a leader.
    A lot of people think that. It seems that his teammates disagree though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Play quarterback, center, defensive end, and free safety.
    lmao, well played Ruthless