Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isaac Redman prepping as starter

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaac Redman prepping as starter

Isaac Redman prepping as starter

By Scott Brown | ESPN.com
    Sept. 2, 2013

PITTSBURGH -- Isaac Redman is proceeding as if he will start the Pittsburgh Steelers' season opener Sunday, and there is a good reason the fourth-year running back is taking that approach.

"I run with the first-team [offense] through the first four reps," Redman said Monday afternoon after practice, when asked if he has been told he will start Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans. "That's normally what the starter does, and I'm just preparing as the starter until they tell me otherwise."

The Steelers don't have many other starting options at running back.

Rookie Le'Veon Bell is recovering from a mid-foot sprain and the Steelers cut Jonathan Dwyer, the team's leading rusher in 2012, last Saturday.

Redman opened last season as the starter but the 6-foot, 230-pounder never emerged as a No. 1 back, rushing for 421 yards and two scores and averaging 3.7 yards per carry.

Of the mindset he is taking this season, Redman said, "I want to try and make it hard for [the coaches] to take me out. If everything holds up and I stay healthy, I'm planning on going out there and performing."

Redman may have to make the most of his opportunity quickly.

Recently acquired Felix Jones looked good in two preseason games, and the former first-round draft pick should only get better as he learns the offense. Bell, meanwhile, is out of a walking boot, and the second-round pick is targeting an early season return.

"I'm going to try and get back by Week 2, but I'm not making any promises," Bell said. "I'm going to make sure I'm 100 percent before I do anything."

Bell said he has been doing some light jogging and other foot workouts he makes his way back from an injury he sustained in the Steelers' second preseason game. One benefit of the injury, Bell said, is it allowed the knee that hampered him during training camp to fully heal.

"I'm just going to be smart about it so once I do come back it's not still bothering me," Bell said. "I want to make sure I don't have to be thinking about it on the field."

Redman had been limited since the end of training camp with a pinched nerve in his shoulder, and the Steelers held him out of the final three preseason games. But Redman said he is "ready to go" after carrying the ball just twice in preseason play.

"I sat out long enough," he said. "I feel good."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...pects-start-rb[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have Felix and Redman on my fantasy league, I need to know who will start.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Redman prepared to carry the load

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Isaac Redman didn’t see much work in the preseason after suffering a shoulder stinger in training camp, but expect to see a lot more of him on Sunday against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field.

While Redman said he hasn’t been told by the coaches if he will be the starter or not, he is approaching everything from the standpoint that he will be, and rightfully so.

“I go out there and run with the first team, do the first four reps, which is normally what the starter does,” said Redman. “I’m just preparing as if I’m the starter until they tell me otherwise.”

Rookie running back Le’Veon Bell is still hobbled by a foot injury and Jonathan Dwyer, the team’s leading rusher last year, was released when the team got down to the mandatory 53-man roster. Redman started the season last year, but shared snaps with Dwyer with Rashard Mendenhall still recovering from a knee injury. Redman is hoping to get more consistent playing time this year, something he feels will allow the ground game to develop more.

“Last year, coming into the opener, I pretty much knew it would be two series and Dwyer would go in for two series,” said Redman. “You kind of knew that was going to happen. Right now, I’m really not sure what’s going on, but I feel like they may be leaning more towards letting me carry the load until they want somebody else in there or if I’m not performing. I feel like I’m ready to go out there and perform at a high level.

“The games that I’ve been able to stay in the whole entire game I’ve done very well,” said Redman. “Not to make an excuse, but it’s hard to carry the ball twice, maybe two series, and then Dwyer go in for two series. Then you’ve got halftime and maybe the defense has to go out there and then you look up and you haven’t carried the ball in a while. It’s hard to stay in that rhythm. Anytime I’m able to stay on the field and play a full game, I’ve always done well.”

Redman didn’t see much action in the preseason, with only two catches for seven yards after suffering the shoulder stinger. He said he is fine now, and that there should be no worries about his lack of productivity this preseason.

“If it was the regular season I would’ve been out there,” said Redman. “Everybody has a lot to say about me not having touched the field. If it was up to me, I would’ve been out there. The second preseason game I wasn’t able to go, but the last two I felt like I could’ve been out there if it was a regular season game.”

Redman said the team was just taking precautions by not playing him, allowing him plenty of time to heal and be ready for the regular season.

“They just didn’t want any unnecessary hits,” said Redman. “The way a stinger heals is you’ve just got to not get hit on it. You’re able to play through the pain, but why risk that in two preseason games.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Redman-prepared-to-carry-the-load/f532a4b3-dc1b-4f28-a57e-6a116e10de42[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So who do we believe? The Pittsburgh Tribune Review has Jones starting and ESPN.com has Redman starting. Sounds like that old saying "If you have more than one (RB/QB/GF), you don't have any at all."
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Sounds like that old saying "If you have more than one (RB/QB/GF), you don't have any at all."
    I agree with the RB/QB part...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I have Felix and Redman on my fantasy league, I need to know who will start.
    Ditto that. What to do? LOL

Unfortunately it will be RB by committee, regardless of who makes the first carry.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope Redman starts... I have visions of FWP, that one year when he got to start the first game of the season, against Tennessee I think it was.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Hey, Isaac...if you want to carry the ball after the second series, then do something during the first two series...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Hey, Isaac...if you want to carry the ball after the second series, then do something during the first two series...
    Hopefully that "something" isn't getting hurt...again!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    So who do we believe? The Pittsburgh Tribune Review has Jones starting and ESPN.com has Redman starting. Sounds like that old saying "If you have more than one (RB/QB/GF), you don't have any at all."
    Yeah, especially where this isn't a case of somebody forcing himself on the field. Some of the tandems the Steelers have had over the years have worked well - I'm thinking of Eric Pegram, when he was the complimentary back.

Right now, with Redman/Jones/LSH, it is more an attempt to cobble together one back, as opposed to having two strong players with complimentary skill sets.