Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Aquire CB Antwon Blake

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    What if the kid was dumb as a box of rocks? What if he had an attitude problem? What if he was lazy? There could be a million reasons why he was released besides his playing ability.

... and to think they willing sabotaged the kid says it's time for the tinfoil hats.
    Did they not do their research on the kid before he was drafted in the 5th?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    All I am saying is lets give him a full season of holding down a starter spot before giving him the "best DB on the Steelers roster crown". I loved Allen last season, but have been less impressed with him this preseason. I want to see some consistency before anointing him.
    Less than impressed this preseason? He's played in about 1 1/2 games after coming off a knee procedure. He was GREAT in the first game back and not quite as good in the second game. I get not comparing him to Woodson or Sanders at this point, but "less than impressed" seems a little harsh don't you think?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Less than impressed this preseason? He's played in about 1 1/2 games after coming off a knee procedure. He was GREAT in the first game back and not quite as good in the second game. I get not comparing him to Woodson or Sanders at this point, but "less than impressed" seems a little harsh don't you think?
    I think Allen is better than Gay was as a starter and he will be close to Lewis and in a year pass Lewis. He is also a better option than McFadden was when he was starting here.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm an Allen fan but "less than impressed" is a good description when your #2 CB gets picked on by a #2 QB.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm an Allen fan but "less than impressed" is a good description when your #2 CB gets picked on by a #2 QB.
    You mean, Derek Anderson, a veteran NFL QB, completed a few passes in front of a cornerback playing in the final preseason game with no defensive game plan? Man, you guys are tough.

Personally, I'd put more stock in how the starters looked in Week 3 of the preseason where they actually had a game plan to defend against an opponent. Allen looked great in that game, his first game back from injury.

I have high hopes for Cortez, but I'm not trying to blindly defend the guy. I just think to complain about his performance in the final, most meaningless of all preseason games, is way too nit-picky.

Administrator

User Info Menu

You mean, Derek Anderson, a veteran NFL QB, completed a few passes in front of a cornerback playing in the final preseason game with no defensive game plan? Man, you guys are tough.

Personally, I'd put more stock in how the starters looked in Week 3 of the preseason where they actually had a game plan to defend against an opponent. Allen looked great in that game, his first game back from injury.

I have high hopes for Cortez, but I'm not trying to blindly defend the guy. I just think to complain about his performance in the final, most meaningless of all preseason games, is way too nit-picky.
    If they had no game plan then he was likely covering the WR one-on-one. Then, he was getting beat one-on-one and a #2 QB was taking advantage of that. Actually, I think it was Carolina's #3 because Steve Smith wasn't on the field then. Add to that, Anderson isn't exactly Brees, Rodgers or Brady.

I thought Allen was supposed to be a good man coverage guy?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If they had no game plan then he was likely covering the WR one-on-one. Then, he was getting beat one-on-one and a #2 QB was taking advantage of that. Actually, I think it was Carolina's #3 because Steve Smith wasn't on the field then. Add to that, Anderson isn't exactly Brees, Rodgers or Brady.

I thought Allen was supposed to be a good man coverage guy?
    I put no stock in any of the pre-season games, let alone the last, most meaningless one of all. It was also more likely that he was in zone more often than not, having come off knee surgery and all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Allen is better than Gay was as a starter and he will be close to Lewis and in a year pass Lewis. He is also a better option than McFadden was when he was starting here.
    I would take your point a bit further

Allen started 3 games with Lewis.

1. Lewis gave up 2 TD/ Allen zip when they started together
    2. Allen created 5 turnovers/ Lewis zip when they started together
    3. Allen had more interceptions IN A SINGLE GAME than Lewis has in FOUR SEASONS as a Steeler

In is a small sample size true but the disparity is SO GREAT I would say Allen is better than Lewis RIGHT NOW and it is not even close.

Anybody wonder why we did not EVEN TRY to sign Lewis?

Had we signed Lewis I guarantee you HE DOES NOT START with what Allen showed.

It would be Ike and Allen with Lewis getting starter money as the third corner.
    I know people feel like Ike has a limited future and we want Lewis and Allen for the future but the problem is that Lewis is not "currently" better than Ike. So how can you justify the pay for Lewis?
    We could cut Ike and take a nearly 7 mil dead money cap hit AND pay Lewis, but would that make sense?

Now looking closely at their play, it is EASY to see why we let Lewis walk.

The team is convinced that Cortez Allen is the far better player.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-04-2013 at 04:26 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    All I am saying is lets give him a full season of holding down a starter spot before giving him the "best DB on the Steelers roster crown".
    Once again the operative expression in the original post was "it looks like". This is not a definitive statement. During that period, Allen did in fact look like the best corner on the roster. In fact I submit that it was BY FAR the best three game stretch of corner play of the Tomlin era. If Jones primarily sat the whole season finally gets the start late in the season comes in the last 3 games and in those three games alone has more sacks than anyone on the team had ALL SEASON. Jones has more sacks in three games than Woodley's CAREER HIGH, one you might say "it looks like he is our best pass rusher". Nevertheless, a three game sample is no guaranty. But it would "look like" he was the real deal, which is all that is being said.

I loved Allen last season, but have been less impressed with him this preseason. I want to see some consistency before anointing him.
    Really? Preseason? After coming in cold from an injury?
    Dude came in during the season, playoff birth pressure, and balled like no Steeler corner has IN OVER A DECADE.
    Had the rest of the team played like him we get in EASY.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Really look at the details people.

Andy Dalton went after Allen BIG TIME. And Allen destroyed him.

Here is the result of EVERY SINGLE DEEP PASS ATTEMPT BY DALTON against Allen

He took FIVE SHOTS DEEP against this kid:

1. (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep right to A.Green. Coverage by #28 C. Allen
    2. (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass deep right intended for A.Hawkins INTERCEPTED by C.Allen at CIN 38
    3. (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep left to A.Hawkins. Coverage by #28 C. Allen.
    4. (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass deep left intended for R.Whalen INTERCEPTED by C.Allen
    5. (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep left to A.Green. Coverage by #28 C. Allen.

That people is an insanely GREAT level of play for a cornerback.

Truth is I really believe people simply do not recall just how effective he was.
    This is just a sample; IN ALL THREE GAMES HE STARTED NOT A SINGLE 20 YARD PASS WAS COMPLETED.
    That is no fluke, it does not happen unless you can ball.

We have NEVER seen this level of corner play in recent years.

TCFCLTC-