- Charles Harris-OLB, Missouri
- Rasul Douglas-CB, West Virginia
- Chris Godwin-WR, Penn State
- John Johnson-S, Boston College
- James Conner-RB, Pitt
- Nazair Jones-DT, North Carolina
- Garrett Sickels, DE/OLB, Penn State
Personally, I'd put more stock in how the starters looked in Week 3 of the preseason where they actually had a game plan to defend against an opponent. Allen looked great in that game, his first game back from injury.
I have high hopes for Cortez, but I'm not trying to blindly defend the guy. I just think to complain about his performance in the final, most meaningless of all preseason games, is way too nit-picky.
I thought Allen was supposed to be a good man coverage guy?
Allen started 3 games with Lewis.
- Lewis gave up 2 TD/ Allen zip when they started together
- Allen created 5 turnovers/ Lewis zip when they started together
- Allen had more interceptions IN A SINGLE GAME than Lewis has in FOUR SEASONS as a Steeler
In is a small sample size true but the disparity is SO GREAT I would say Allen is better than Lewis RIGHT NOW and it is not even close.
Anybody wonder why we did not EVEN TRY to sign Lewis?
Had we signed Lewis I guarantee you HE DOES NOT START with what Allen showed.
It would be Ike and Allen with Lewis getting starter money as the third corner.
I know people feel like Ike has a limited future and we want Lewis and Allen for the future but the problem is that Lewis is not "currently" better than Ike. So how can you justify the pay for Lewis?
We could cut Ike and take a nearly 7 mil dead money cap hit AND pay Lewis, but would that make sense?
Now looking closely at their play, it is EASY to see why we let Lewis walk.
The team is convinced that Cortez Allen is the far better player.
Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-04-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Really? Preseason? After coming in cold from an injury?I loved Allen last season, but have been less impressed with him this preseason. I want to see some consistency before anointing him.
Dude came in during the season, playoff birth pressure, and balled like no Steeler corner has IN OVER A DECADE.
Had the rest of the team played like him we get in EASY.
Really look at the details people.
Andy Dalton went after Allen BIG TIME. And Allen destroyed him.
Here is the result of EVERY SINGLE DEEP PASS ATTEMPT BY DALTON against Allen
He took FIVE SHOTS DEEP against this kid:
- (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep right to A.Green. Coverage by #28 C. Allen
- (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass deep right intended for A.Hawkins INTERCEPTED by C.Allen at CIN 38
- (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep left to A.Hawkins. Coverage by #28 C. Allen.
- (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass deep left intended for R.Whalen INTERCEPTED by C.Allen
- (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep left to A.Green. Coverage by #28 C. Allen.
That people is an insanely GREAT level of play for a cornerback.
Truth is I really believe people simply do not recall just how effective he was.
This is just a sample; IN ALL THREE GAMES HE STARTED NOT A SINGLE 20 YARD PASS WAS COMPLETED.
That is no fluke, it does not happen unless you can ball.
We have NEVER seen this level of corner play in recent years.