Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Aquire CB Antwon Blake

Starter

User Info Menu

I kind of like what TS are doing. Adding strength to an already solid roster. How can that not be a good idea?

Zoltan Mesko----------Acquiring a proven NFL player. Butler had a punt blocked last year and one in this preseason among other things.

Cody Wallace---------Probably a better C than Malecki. TS usually dress 7 game day. Either him or Whimper will be #7. My guess is he dresses.

Antwon Blake--------And he can actually TACKLE too? TS have had a lot of success picking up players from Jax.

Felix Jones-----------Geez! I almost forgot this one. Liable to be even starting some games this season. He is certainly capable.

This is probably it till the season starts. Then maybe as someone suggested TS could pick up another proven NFL OL at a huge discount after Sep9.

Meanwhile, Let's get ready for Tennessee! Go Steelers Go! Lets hear it!
    HWGS! HWG!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Two years ago Gay made noticable improvments under Lake. The next season Lewis made a huge jump under Lake. Now Cortez Allen appers to be ready to be our best corner under Lake. The secondary has gone from a weakness to a strength since hes been here. Whats not to like about Carnell?
    Are we watching the same Cortez Allen? I have heard much hype that hasn't translated into game time production as of yet. To give him Ike's crown seems premature.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Led the Jags with 12 ST tackles last year.
    I've read that he is supposed to be a strong special teams player. Given that ST struggled during the preseason, it can't hurt to shore up this area.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Are we watching the same Cortez Allen? I have heard much hype that hasn't translated into game time production as of yet. To give him Ike's crown seems premature.
    Allen started 3 games and created 5 turnovers during those three games.
    Starters Lewis (1 FF) and Ike (1 int) created 2 turnovers COMBINED.

Cortez Allen is the first corner of the Tomlin era to create 5 turnovers in a season- He did it in THREE GAMES.

Cortez Allen created 3 turnovers in one game. During the combined 14 year career of Ike and Keenan only once did Ike surpass 3 turnovers during a 16 game season. Ike had a career high of 4 tunovers in a season, Allen had 3 in ONE GAME.

Without Ike and with Allen we gave up 34 then 13 and 10. Two out of three teams shut down offensively with Allen a dominant factor making all 5 of his turnovers in those two games.
    The one game we gave up a 34 TDs were thrown on Brown and Lewis but not Allen.
    Allen gave up three completions for 26 yards and no touchdowns in his worst career start.

Bottom line facts:

1. Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter gave up ZERO touchdowns
    2. Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter created FIVE turnovers (something no corner on this team has done in a SEASON)
    3. Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter NEVER gave up a single 20 yard pass (Dalton in particular tried several times and failed going deep on him)

Can one anoint him as better than Ike? Perhaps not. Ike has done it for years. but the operative expression in the original post was "it looks like".
    I can say considering the turnovers Allen created, Ike has never had a better three game stretch in his decade long career.

While I respect you Shawn we, have been watching the same player but you must have not paid attention to call it "hype that hasn't translated into game production".

Sure the sample size is small but you will not see a better three game stretch by a Steeler corner than Allen had since Rod Woodson.
    Allen literally could not be more impressive during so short a time as a starter.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

Cortez Allen is the first corner of the Tomlin era to create 5 turnovers in a season- He did it in THREE GAMES.

Cortez Allen created 3 turnovers in one game. During the combined 14 year career of Ike and Keenan only once did Ike surpass 3 turnovers during a 16 game season. Ike had a career high of 4 tunovers in a season, Allen had 3 in ONE GAME.

Without Ike and with Allen we gave up 34 then 13 and 10. Two out of three teams shut down offensively with Allen a dominant factor making all 5 of his turnovers in those two games.
    Allen gave up three completions for 26 yards and no touchdowns in his worst career start.

Summery:
    Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter gave up ZERO touchdowns and created FIVE turnovers.
    He NEVER gave up a 20 yard pass the entire three game stretch as a starter.

Can I anoint him as better than Ike? Perhaps not. Ike has done it for years.

But while I respect you Shawn you must have not paid attention to call it "hype that hasn't translated into game production".

Sure the sample size is small but you will not see a better three game stretch by a Steeler corner than Allen had since Rod Woodson.
    I agree with the good captain. And even though it was just 1 game, Allen shut down Gronk when we played NE. And that's something I'm not sure Ike could have done.

The only thing that Ike does that I dont think Allen will do as well is tackle. Ike might be one of the best tackling CBs in the game. And Allen tackles a little high right now. Oh, and Allen may never be conditioned like Ike. Heck I can't remember any player in shape like Ike. But I think Allen will get his chances this year to make the Pro Bowl. And I'd be on him.

I think Allen can become one of the special players on this D like Troy or James have been for years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I agree with the good captain. And even though it was just 1 game, Allen shut down Gronk when we played NE. And that's something I'm not sure Ike could have done.

The only thing that Ike does that I dont think Allen will do as well is tackle. Ike might be one of the best tackling CBs in the game. And Allen tackles a little high right now. Oh, and Allen may never be conditioned like Ike. Heck I can't remember any player in shape like Ike. But I think Allen will get his chances this year to make the Pro Bowl. And I'd be on him.

I think Allen can become one of the special players on this D like Troy or James have been for years.
    Yes, I agree on what makes Ike great, and I was SO EXCITED to hear Allen was training with Ike.
    Ike has always been the ultimate "play preventer", essential for a cornerback but we have lacked a real "play maker" at corner for years.

We never saw both Ike and Allen start together last season. Their relative strengths are ideal when you think about it.

Put "play preventer" Ike on your best receiver to shut him down and put "playmaker" Allen on the lesser guy the QB is forced to pass to and let him create turnovers.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree on what makes Ike great, and I was SO EXCITED to hear Allen was training with Ike.
    Ike has always been the ultimate "play preventer", essential for a cornerback but we have lacked a real "play maker" at corner for years.

We never saw both Ike and Allen start together last season. Their relative strengths are ideal when you think about it.

Put "play preventer" Ike on your best receiver to shut him down and put "playmaker" Allen on the lesser guy the QB is forced to pass to and let him create turnovers.
    Now if they'd just let Shark play the slot WR in the nickle, you could take care of that guy by not letting him off the LOS.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Now if they'd just let Shark play the slot WR in the nickle, you could take care of that guy by not letting him off the LOS.
    Yup and you have little exposure to the surprise run when in the nickel with Shark being able to become a linebacker with corner speed. Heck that could be our base against passing teams with small quick running backs.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-03-2013 at 01:59 PM.

TCFCLTC-

Starter

User Info Menu

Bottom line facts:

1. Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter gave up ZERO touchdowns
    2. Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter created FIVE turnovers (something no corner on this team has done in a SEASON)
    3. Cortez Allen in 3 games as a starter NEVER gave up a single 20 yard pass (Dalton in particular tried several times and failed going deep on him)

Can one anoint him as better than Ike? Perhaps not. Ike has done it for years. but the operative expression in the original post was "it looks like".
    I can say considering the turnovers Allen created, Ike has never had a better three game stretch in his decade long career.

While I respect you Shawn we, have been watching the same player but you must have not paid attention to call it "hype that hasn't translated into game production".

Allen literally could not be more impressive during so short a time as a starter.
    Money post. I honestly think Cortez is on the verge of turning into the Steelers best corner. No hes not there yet. But I think he is becoming a special player. A full season of starting this year will tell the tale.

Legend

User Info Menu

I also like the ferocity with which Cortez has been tackling this preseason. He's been wrapping guys up, and then slamming them down into the turf violently as if he was Deebo and the opposing wideout was a drunk Cleveland fan on the field.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.