Thread: Felix Jones

Felix Jones

This dude was picked in the 1st round, ahead of RM and Chris Johnson, in 2008. He averaged 9 yards a carry in 2007 for Arkansas and 8 yards a carry the year before that. If he can find it again (it being his shiftiness) then Bell may get to take a back seat and get some well deserved rest. I like what we may have in this guy and so do the Steelers.

Maybe the Steelers are thinking, "We finally got the RB we wanted in '08".........................hmmmm

The main goal of the offense in the early going will be to get over the "one guy" obsession and use the committee approach to maximize the skills of the RB by using their strengths...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The main goal of the offense in the early going will be to get over the "one guy" obsession and use the committee approach to maximize the skills of the RB by using their strengths...
    I like this.

Starter
    Couldnt disagree more. The running back by committee approach sucks. We need one guy to step up and be our workhorse. And then we need one back to sprinkle in every now and then for a change of pace. If we constantly shuffle our backs like we did last year we are in for a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Couldnt disagree more. The running back by committee approach sucks. We need one guy to step up and be our workhorse. And then we need one back to sprinkle in every now and then for a change of pace. If we constantly shuffle our backs like we did last year we are in for a long season.
    I would word it a little different. When you go backs by committee its cause the backs are not all that. No stud. So if Bell is the stud and then you sprinkle in LSH or Jones , Redman and Johnson I believe it could be a decent year.

Most RBs say they need to be in the game consistently to be effective. To get in the groove if you will. Curtis Martin was on the radio this week saying he didn't start becoming effective until after his first 10-11 carries. But I've heard this many times before. This for me makes the Bell injury disheartening. I wanted him to come into the season and finally take control of the RB position. Hopefully he will when he returns. If Jones fills that role to start the season, we got some great value in that trade.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    If Jones fills that role to start the season, we got some great value in that trade.
    I think we already got great value in that trade. If Jones puts up some numbers, Id say the trade was phenomenal and we might actually have to give the Steeler brass some credit. Your comment about the Bell-cow having to get in the groove is spot on IMHO.
    Last edited by Discipline of Steel; 09-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Perhaps I was not clear...

I should have stated that the Steelers need to get over the "one guy" approach until Bell is healthy...because all of the current healthy RBs have proven that they are not capable of that...

Until such a player steps up, I think that the Steelers will need to do what the Cheatriots have done successfully over the past few seasons...have the RBs available do what they do best...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Perhaps I was not clear...

I should have stated that the Steelers need to get over the "one guy" approach until Bell is healthy...because all of the current healthy RBs have proven that they are not capable of that...

Until such a player steps up, I think that the Steelers will need to do what the Cheatriots have done successfully over the past few seasons...have the RBs available do what they do best...
    I like that explanation better because I'm not a fan of a committee @ RB. The Cheats hand picked their guys for that purpose. The RB's we have would not excel in that kind of environment except for Jones. I think he would be even better as a workhorse if health issue's don't start to surface.