Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Cuts announced - Dwyer, Ta'amu, McFadden and more

  1. #41
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,944
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Fangupo is stronger and has better leverage. He's built like Casey and is a perfect fit as a NT, whereas Ta'Amu seems to me better suited as a DT in a 4-3.

    I'm still surprised Arnfelt was put on the PS. I thought he showed more promise than any of the backups on the DLine. And I thought he had a legit chance because Woods showed he can play NT as well. I figured Ta'Amu and Fangupo might both get cut. But I can see why we kept Fangupo. NTs are hard to find. And not many guys are built in the mold of a Fangupo. I'm not even sure McClendon is a perfect fit. And I don't know if the Steelers think so either even though he's the best option right now.
    Flippy, I agree that Fangupo fits the Steelers prototype at NT going back to Joel Steed.

    Ta'amu had intriguing size/strength - I have visions of him as a NT in the mold of Williams out in SD in his prime or any of those other huge NTs. Again, that was based on potential and college film, not as much on his production. Given his potential, I would have liked to see him get one more year in Pittsburgh. I understand the cut -- this is mostly the optimist in me.

    From what I saw of Arnfelt, I think he could be an effective backup at DE. I'm glad that the Steelers kept him on the PS.

  2. #42
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Flippy, I agree that Fangupo fits the Steelers prototype at NT going back to Joel Steed.

    Ta'amu had intriguing size/strength - I have visions of him as a NT in the mold of Williams out in SD in his prime or any of those other huge NTs. Again, that was based on potential and college film, not as much on his production. Given his potential, I would have liked to see him get one more year in Pittsburgh. I understand the cut -- this is mostly the optimist in me.

    From what I saw of Arnfelt, I think he could be an effective backup at DE. I'm glad that the Steelers kept him on the PS.
    I don't understand the cut and I don't understand other cuts, non-cuts, and non-signings. I think Tomlin might be one of the smartest & dumbest person I've seen.

    You don't trade up and draft Ta'amu if within 2 years you cut him because he's more of a 4-3 style player. You just absolutely wasted the pick. That's idiocy at it's finest. I don't know whats more idiotic.... releasing Ta'amu or releasing Hawthorne... or keeping Whimper... or not signing Starks.... or wait, there are to many to count....

    It seems like this team under Tomlin's direction can't make 2 back-to-back good moves. It's like 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

  3. #43
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think that a switch to DE may be an option for McClendon after this year...
    I think you are right but that puts us back to the same elusive problem we have had for the past couple of years...we need a dominant NT to make LeBeau's defense work and we don't have one. Same old problem with the 3-4...the players you need for the DL are elusive to find or take years to develop or p[rove they can't develop.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You don't trade up and draft Ta'amu if within 2 years you cut him because he's more of a 4-3 style player. You just absolutely wasted the pick. That's idiocy at it's finest.
    But Tomlin did not say that he was a 4/3 player, a poster here did. The Steelers absolutely saw him as a nose tackle, AS DID MOST DRAFT EXPERTS at the time:

    Alameda Ta'amu Scouting Report
    By Charlie Campbell


    Strengths:
    Big-time run-stuffer
    Overpowering strength
    Huge bulk
    Constantly fills his gap
    Powerful bull rush
    Generally plays with good pad level
    Space eater
    Experienced
    Very difficult to move at the line of scrimmage
    No problem anchoring



    Weaknesses:
    Inconsistent
    Taking plays off?
    Nose tackle only, can't play other tackle techniques


    Summary: Ta'amu is one of the few quality zero-technique prospects in the 2012 NFL Draft. The zero-technique lines up over the head of the center and is an essential performer in a 3-4 defense. Ta'amu has the size and bulk to occupy blockers while holding his ground at the line of scrimmage.

    Taamu is EASILY and OBVIOUSLY better suited to play nose. Heck the Cardinals who run a 3/4 could not grab him soon enough.

    The reason why Taamu was cut is kinda simple. Fangupo beat him out and we dont carry a ridiculous number of people at that position. We are three deep (McClendon, Woods, and Fangupo) at a position that features ONE player at a time and Taamu was the fourth man.

    I too liked Taamu's potential, but he needs to win te job no matter where he was drafted.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-03-2013 at 05:23 PM.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think you are right but that puts us back to the same elusive problem we have had for the past couple of years...we need a dominant NT to make LeBeau's defense work and we don't have one. Same old problem with the 3-4...the players you need for the DL are elusive to find or take years to develop or p[rove they can't develop.
    Defense was fine (statistically better) when Hoke started for injured Casey. The team was 17-1 in games Hoke started. I am not saying Hoke was better but that the whole idea that our defense hung on the value of Hampton is WAY overblown.

    The best recent Steeler career backup at any position was an undrafted free agent nose tackle from BYU. Sounds alot like Fangupo......
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-03-2013 at 05:38 PM.

  6. #46
    Both Ta'amu and Dwyer put themselves in virtually the same position:

    They each needed to give the team a very compelling reason to keep them, despite their various off the field behaviors....

    Neither one did...

  7. #47
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But Tomlin did not say that he was a 4/3 player, a poster here did. The Steelers absolutely saw him as a nose tackle, AS DID MOST DRAFT EXPERTS at the time:
    I just don't see his potential at NT. Maybe he develops? He's definitely massive enough. And probably has the strength. But I just never saw it in him. He never really got a low enough pad level and enough leverage on opposing Cs and I think that's why he didn't look so strong at the point of attack.

    I personally loved getting Fangupo and thought since the day we signed him that he's gonna one day be our future NT. That kid is as strong as an ox. And I think the NT controlling the LOS in the middle is the key to Lebeau's whole D. I think we're pretty deep for the first time in ages on the DLine and I'd love to see the Steelers get a rotation going to keep all of these guys fresh.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •