Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Cuts announced - Dwyer, Ta'amu, McFadden and more

  1. #31
    a little disappointing to lose Ta'amu. Seems like he had turned it around in the offseason. Didn't look like he was outplayed by fangupo, but I'm not there in practice. Hope we got it right.

    I just have a feeling the lights may have come on for this guy.

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Your Carnell Lake hate is laughable. Heres a guy who has made a noticeable improvement in our secondary. Its night and day difference since he took the helm. Guy was a student of the game as a player who was capable of playing at a pro bowl level at multiple positions. This isnt the case of star athlete turned coach. This is a guy who was a coach on the field as a player. Hell Ill go ahead and say it. I believe Carnell Lake is Yoda. I believe he is every bit as good as everyone says he is. Maybe better.
    What are you talking about?? Lake's only been here for two seasons as DB coach. What "night-day" difference?

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    a little disappointing to lose Ta'amu. Seems like he had turned it around in the offseason. Didn't look like he was outplayed by fangupo, but I'm not there in practice. Hope we got it right.

    I just have a feeling the lights may have come on for this guy.
    I was thinking the same thing. I saw Al Woods made the cut, so that was good to see.

    In other news:

    The Steelers have signed veteran offensive lineman Cody Wallace, the team announced today.

    Wallace, who has played both center and guard, was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their final roster cut-down on Saturday. He saw action in eight games for the Buccaneers in 2012.

    Wallace was originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers and spent two seasons with the 49ers (2008-09). He also has spent time on the practice squads of the Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Houston Texans. Wallace saw action in one game in 2010 on the Lions’ active roster.

    To make room for Wallace, the Steelers released offensive lineman John Malecki. A Pittsburgh native, he was originally signed by the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2010. Malecki also spent time on the Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington Redskins and Steelers’ practice squad, and he was also signed to Pittsburgh’s active roster in October, 2012.

    http://www.steelers.com/news/article...5-eed60ea4a809
    Last edited by thor75; 09-01-2013 at 11:37 PM.

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hey Roger...
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    In other news:

    The Steelers have signed veteran offensive lineman Cody Wallace, the team announced today.

    Wallace, who has played both center and guard, was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their final roster cut-down on Saturday. He saw action in eight games for the Buccaneers in 2012.

    Wallace was originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers and spent two seasons with the 49ers (2008-09). He also has spent time on the practice squads of the Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Houston Texans. Wallace saw action in one game in 2010 on the Lions’ active roster.

    To make room for Wallace, the Steelers released offensive lineman John Malecki. A Pittsburgh native, he was originally signed by the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2010. Malecki also spent time on the Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington Redskins and Steelers’ practice squad, and he was also signed to Pittsburgh’s active roster in October, 2012.

    http://www.steelers.com/news/article...5-eed60ea4a809
    OK, that's interesting. Now we just need to make the same type of move at OT
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

  5. #35
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    What are you talking about?? Lake's only been here for two seasons as DB coach. What "night-day" difference?
    Keenan Lewis went from crap to a good starting corner. Allen was able to contribute from day 1 in this complex D. Ryan Clark's improved. We had really good safety play last year even without Troy. Golden is turning into a really good safety. And Shark looks like he's picking up everything very quick being used in multiple positions.

    Carnell is sharp. He's making this complex Lebeau defense easier to understand for young players to make them able to contribute immediately. His approach is night and day versus Butler, Mitchell, Lebeau, etc who all seem to want to break guys down completely and build them up over a 3 year period.

    I've heard Lake say it's his job to help guys see how simple this defense really is. I'm sold. I've seen and listened to enough of him to think he's the next big thing in coaching.

  6. #36
    Lake had the benefit of playing in this defense, or closely related defenses, for nearly his entire career...I hope he can make it simple for the young DBs...

    I also think that's why the Steelers are working with other former players, experienced in this defense, who have extreme football smarts and an ability (and willingness) to teach...

    Chris Hoke has been working as a coaching intern...I often saw him on the sidelines during the preseason...

    Jerry Olsavsky has been with the team for the last few years as the defensive assistant...

    Freaking Rod Woodson has been working with the team...

    When AR II delivered the "ultimatum" to get young players ready to play more quickly, I think Tomlin found one of the perfect ways to do just that...

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,960
    Do we call it the LeBeau 12-15 yard cushion or the Lake cushion?

    Cuz that scheme is alive and well and I see NO difference whatsoever in the past 10 years.

    Lake's defenses didn't have to do it to this extreme. Even when Lake played CB he manned up and covered the best WR straight up.

    IMO, it's one of the reasons this D cannot force any turnovers in the secondary. The mantra is to not get beat long and wait for the opposing O to make their own mistake. Hence, many a 4th Q leads disintegrate before our eyes cuz we know they cannot force enough pressure to stop the team from a go ahead score.
    Last edited by skyhawk; 09-02-2013 at 06:54 PM.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    a little disappointing to lose Ta'amu. Seems like he had turned it around in the offseason. Didn't look like he was outplayed by fangupo, but I'm not there in practice. Hope we got it right.

    I just have a feeling the lights may have come on for this guy.
    I'm also a bit disappointed to see him go, but maybe that is based on what I hoped he would become, and not based on what he has done.

    He had probably the best size of any of the NTs and I thought he was coming along. I would have rather kept him than Cromartie-Smith, for one, especially when the Steelers will have both Ziggy and Keisel as FAs next offseason.

  9. #39
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,372
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm also a bit disappointed to see him go, but maybe that is based on what I hoped he would become, and not based on what he has done.

    He had probably the best size of any of the NTs and I thought he was coming along. I would have rather kept him than Cromartie-Smith, for one, especially when the Steelers will have both Ziggy and Keisel as FAs next offseason.
    Fangupo is stronger and has better leverage. He's built like Casey and is a perfect fit as a NT, whereas Ta'Amu seems to me better suited as a DT in a 4-3.

    I'm still surprised Arnfelt was put on the PS. I thought he showed more promise than any of the backups on the DLine. And I thought he had a legit chance because Woods showed he can play NT as well. I figured Ta'Amu and Fangupo might both get cut. But I can see why we kept Fangupo. NTs are hard to find. And not many guys are built in the mold of a Fangupo. I'm not even sure McClendon is a perfect fit. And I don't know if the Steelers think so either even though he's the best option right now.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Fangupo is stronger and has better leverage. He's built like Casey and is a perfect fit as a NT, whereas Ta'Amu seems to me better suited as a DT in a 4-3.

    I'm still surprised Arnfelt was put on the PS. I thought he showed more promise than any of the backups on the DLine. And I thought he had a legit chance because Woods showed he can play NT as well. I figured Ta'Amu and Fangupo might both get cut. But I can see why we kept Fangupo. NTs are hard to find. And not many guys are built in the mold of a Fangupo. I'm not even sure McClendon is a perfect fit. And I don't know if the Steelers think so either even though he's the best option right now.
    I think that a switch to DE may be an option for McClendon after this year...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •