Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cuts announced - Dwyer, Ta'amu, McFadden and more

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Your sparring opponent loved Dwyer, sid. Maybe that has something to do with the Steelers cutting him loose. Wonder if that dude still think Dwyer will run for 1300 yards or whatever.
    now he probably hopes he runs 1,300 yards for the Patriots*!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Why would you be happy and excited that Hawthorne got cut? Why not root for the Steelers to find a guy who's rough but has a ton of potential that Lake can coach up? You are actively rooting against a Steelers coach. That sucks!!
    I'm laughing at all the morons who are placing unrealistic credit on a guy (Lake) who just started coaching a few years ago! I'm speaking toward the idiocy of people thinking such a guy (Lake), just because he was a star NFL player, can coach up a guy as if by magic. As if a guy like Hawthorne never had quality coaching at Illinois. For go-sakes, people are calling for him to supplant Lebeau as DC, over a guy like Butler (who has spent his own life in football, and has honed his coaching over years).

But Butler isn't a guru, presumably because he wasn't a star in the NFL. Again, I'm not rooting against Lake, or Hawthorne. I'm laughing at the lunacy of thinking Lake is some sort of Yoda.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

I'm laughing at the lunacy of thinking Lake is some sort of Yoda.
    Learn you will.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Learn you will.
    Cover or cover not. There is no try.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

People said the same thing about Cowher and Tomlin...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm fine with it too. I hate to see maybe the most talented pure runner on the roster go, but he made his bed a long time ago with his lack of toughness and urgency.

Haha, where are all the Carnell Lake will turn water (Hawthorne) into wine people? I like Carnell, but his exalted status is ridiculous here.
    Can't work magic with a guy who didn't make the field until the end of preseason...

Legend

User Info Menu

BTW, I think there is more to the Dwyer cut than some might think. Rewatch his runs this preseason. He had some good ones and made some yards. But there were plenty of runs where Dwyer just didn't see the right hole or made the wrong cut. Makes one wonder if the coaches were questioning his onfield vision for the game. One run in particular was replayed several times on highlights, where Dwyer cut to the outside but would have gained far more going to the inside of the blocker.

At least some saw the same thing:

How do you help a struggling offensive line? Run the stretch zone. Felix Jones may be the beneficiary of the recent woes of the Steeler offensive line.

The stretch zone helps out an offensive line because you do not have to push a defender back off of the ball. Instead, you are stretching the defense vertically. Moreover, the stretch zone sets up a beautiful play action pass. This play action helps to slow down an opposing pash rush.

The key to a stretch zone is having a running back that can find the seams in the defense as it is being stretched. Simply, Felix Jones did this consistently better than any Steeler back this preseason. Jones may no longer have the pedigree of a number one draft pick, and that's fine. What he can do, however, is put the Steelers in 2nd and 7 instead of 2nd and 12. Jonathan Dwyer did not make enough big runs to justify the amount of times he put the Steelers in 2nd and 12.

Jones also gives the Steelers another option to use in the passing game and the return game. Jones may have found himself in a perfect situation in Pittsburgh. The Steelers may have found a productive player in 2013 for the price of an outside linebacker that was going to be cut anyways.
    [URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/31/4680474/steelers-roster-felix-jones-running-back-depth-chart-2013/in/4423229[/URL]
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-01-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm laughing at all the morons who are placing unrealistic credit on a guy (Lake) who just started coaching a few years ago! I'm speaking toward the idiocy of people thinking such a guy (Lake), just because he was a star NFL player, can coach up a guy as if by magic. As if a guy like Hawthorne never had quality coaching at Illinois. For go-sakes, people are calling for him to supplant Lebeau as DC, over a guy like Butler (who has spent his own life in football, and has honed his coaching over years).

But Butler isn't a guru, presumably because he wasn't a star in the NFL. Again, I'm not rooting against Lake, or Hawthorne. I'm laughing at the lunacy of thinking Lake is some sort of Yoda.
    Your Carnell Lake hate is laughable. Heres a guy who has made a noticeable improvement in our secondary. Its night and day difference since he took the helm. Guy was a student of the game as a player who was capable of playing at a pro bowl level at multiple positions. This isnt the case of star athlete turned coach. This is a guy who was a coach on the field as a player. Hell Ill go ahead and say it. I believe Carnell Lake is Yoda. I believe he is every bit as good as everyone says he is. Maybe better.

Legend

User Info Menu

they are the same ones that claim ever draft pick is the 'steal of the draft' only to see them get cut..........

Starter

User Info Menu

I just saw Ta'amu ended up in Pittsburgh West.