Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Ben, Start Landry Jones

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    There fixed that for you Shawn.
    As a four year starter at Oklahoma he didnt have the "INT" factor. 123 TD's to 52 int's shows me he actually had the "IT" factor.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    3 year project. Lol.

I swear some of you would drink jones bathwater after he farted in it. God only knows how much praise will be heaped on him after a 4 pick outing. This makes two games in a row he is all over the ballpark with his throws.

contrast that with the performance last night of tyler bray who went undrafted and some here wanted(not me).
    Jeez give him some time would ya. This a completely different style of offense he is playing as opposed to what he ran in college. He was never under center in college. It is a big adjustment moving backwards and trying to read defenses.

I believe he has the potential to be a bonafide starter in the NFL. But the timeline on that may take a few years. And if the Steelers get that out of him then it was all worth it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    3 year project. Lol.

I swear some of you would drink jones bathwater after he farted in it. God only knows how much praise will be heaped on him after a 4 pick outing. This makes two games in a row he is all over the ballpark with his throws.

contrast that with the performance last night of tyler bray who went undrafted and some here wanted(not me).
    Some people look at a few stats in a handful of preseason games, others look at pocket awareness, mobility, arm, accuracy etc. I care little about where his stats are right now. I care more about whether he looks the part of an NFL QB. Early on...no...no he didn't. But, he is quickly growing and improving giving me hope that he will be a solid NFL QB. If you want to base your opinion on a few preseason games...more power to you.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Some people look at a few stats in a handful of preseason games, others look at pocket awareness, mobility, arm, accuracy etc. I care little about where his stats are right now. I care more about whether he looks the part of an NFL QB. Early on...no...no he didn't. But, he is quickly growing and improving giving me hope that he will be a solid NFL QB. If you want to base your opinion on a few preseason games...more power to you.
    Cha-ching!! Money post Shawn. I agree with you 100%.

But you know how guys are. If he isn't "their" pick then they are just gonna straight hate on him. Gotta replenish their hate molecules with that ol'e Hatorade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Cha-ching!! Money post Shawn. I agree with you 100%.

But you know how guys are. If he isn't "their" pick then they are just gonna straight hate on him. Gotta replenish their hate molecules with that ol'e Hatorade.
    lol...I think you may be onto something there.

Legend

User Info Menu

As a four year starter at Oklahoma he didnt have the "INT" factor. 123 TD's to 52 int's shows me he actually had the "IT" factor.
    After discussing the "pros" and "cons" scouting report say:

BOTTOMLINE
    TheNFL-sized pocket passer can be decisive and flashes the accuracy topick apart defenses at the next level. However, his tendency to getrattled under pressure is a major issue. Also, when things start togo downhill, he lacks a short memory; his confidence is shaken. He isalso inconsistent in his reads and decision making.

That was based on his college play.
    That is EXACTLY what we saw last night, first drive was EXACTLY the "good" in that evaluation. The rest of the night was the bad in that evaluation.

I hope I am wrong but you are not seeing just "a new system" or "rookie jitters" this is EXACTLY what evaluators saw in him in college. Compared to TYPICAL ROOKIE QBs (consider the no-name bum rooks we had in years past) he simply lacks consistent poise. Not just in games but through most of training camp.

The fact is you rarely see a QB "grow out" of "easily rattled" and "easily shaken confidence".

Confidence and swagger are something you have or you dont have.

Some are talking future starter material?

I am sorry but EVEN IF he can be a capable starter I do not like this tendency, since the same guy who is easily rattled in college is unlikely to ever win you a Superbowl.

Again I "hope" I am wrong but you cannot go "see this is what I mean see how great he is" after drive one (which started the thread) and follow with "the rest does not matter" when the game "good and bad" fits his anticipated profile to a "T".
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

Eh, everybody thought Brian Griese would be a better pro than Tom Brady...

Coaching (and perhaps cheating) can make a big difference...

Legend

User Info Menu

Terry Bradshaw is a noted as being terribly insecure. He was noted as being a head case. TB had 4-5 rough years, throwing a ton of INTs. Was that because he didnt have a short memory? Was it poor read ability? Even in 74 when he "led" the Steelers to the SB, he had a questionable year.

Good thing Noll seen something the fans didn't see in Bradshaw. Just sayin'.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    After discussing the "pros" and "cons" scouting report say:

BOTTOMLINE
    TheNFL-sized pocket passer can be decisive and flashes the accuracy topick apart defenses at the next level. However, his tendency to getrattled under pressure is a major issue. Also, when things start togo downhill, he lacks a short memory; his confidence is shaken. He isalso inconsistent in his reads and decision making.

That was based on his college play.
    That is EXACTLY what we saw last night, first drive was EXACTLY the "good" in that evaluation. The rest of the night was the bad in that evaluation.

I hope I am wrong but you are not seeing just "a new system" or "rookie jitters" this is EXACTLY what evaluators saw in him in college. Compared to TYPICAL ROOKIE QBs (consider the no-name bum rooks we had in years past) he simply lacks consistent poise. Not just in games but through most of training camp.

The fact is you rarely see a QB "grow out" of "easily rattled" and "easily shaken confidence".

Confidence and swagger are something you have or you dont have.

Some are talking future starter material?

I am sorry but EVEN IF he can be a capable starter I do not like this tendency, since the same guy who is easily rattled in college is unlikely to ever win you a Superbowl.

Again I "hope" I am wrong but you cannot go "see this is what I mean see how great he is" after drive one (which started the thread) and follow with "the rest does not matter" when the game "good and bad" fits his anticipated profile to a "T".
    Well there it is there. This has to be true, right?

Thing is, his 4 years numbers dont reflect that he got rattled all that often. Last year alone he was nearly 3 to 1 TD's versus picks and was only sacked 13 times. And completed 66.1% of his passes. I like using my eyes more than my ears when evaluating a players ability. But that's just me.

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
    2009 261 449 3198 58.1 7.12 67 26 14 12 130.8 43.0 51.0
    2010 405 617 4718 65.6 7.65 86 38 12 19 146.3 63.7 70.6
    2011 355 562 4463 63.2 7.94 64 29 15 10 141.6 72.5 73.7
    2012 367 555 4267 66.1 7.69 76 30 11 13 144.6 75.0 80.7

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

you do realize that goes both ways, right? You guys are landry fanboys, I get it.

you will never convince me a 3 year project QB merits a 4th round draft pick. Its patently ridiculous.

quoting big 12 stats just shows you are grasping at straws.