Thread: IR Designation with Return for Spaeth?

Legend

User Info Menu

IR Designation with Return for Spaeth?

This article thinks it is likely:

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/28/4667084/matt-spaeth-injury-steelers-tight-end-depth-chart-roster-ir-designated-to-return-rules[/URL]

I would say that it makes sense, except the designation can only be used on one player. If you have a player more significant than Spaeth get hurt early, I would think you would want to save the designation for that player.

I think the new IR rule, with the designation for return, makes a lot of sense, but don't understand why it is limited to one player per team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This article thinks it is likely:

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/28/4667084/matt-spaeth-injury-steelers-tight-end-depth-chart-roster-ir-designated-to-return-rules[/URL]

I would say that it makes sense, except the designation can only be used on one player. If you have a player more significant than Spaeth get hurt early, I would think you would want to save the designation for that player.

I think the new IR rule, with the designation for return, makes a lot of sense, but don't understand why it is limited to one player per team.
    It is limited to one per team to prevent teams who are good at finding talent from stashing guys. I do agree with you though that there should be at least two and I think the Practice Squad should be at least 4 players larger with half designated as untouchable by other teams and half designated as signable.

The league needs to understand with the increased injuries you need bigger rosters especially for the PS.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

coming back in 8 weeks from a lis franc that requires surgery?

sounds like a mistake
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 08-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If it can be used without penalty, why not?

Unless a bigger contributor get hurt in the last PS game, he's as good as anybody...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If it can be used without penalty, why not?

Unless a bigger contributor get hurt in the last PS game, he's as good as anybody...
    But what if Timmons goes down in the first game and they think he will be out for 9 weeks? Wouldn't you rather be able to use that designation on him and fill his spot for those weeks? I just don't think Spaeth is valueable enough to use that designation. Unless you have to use it before the season starts I would wait. No way in hell would I use it on Spaeth.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm thinking it may be a possibility. They still have to carry Miller & Spaeth on the 53. If Miller's timetable looks to be a return to games before the bye...Than I think they carry Miller on 53. If it looks to be closer to the Ravens then they should use the PUP option. That way they could carry Spaeth for awhile until his timetable is more clear and not waste the IR designation if someone else goes down. Another possibility I see is if someone they really like hits the waiver wire at TE...They get him here. Get him through a week of practice and if he looks more than serviceable before Miller's return, just simply IR Spaeth for the year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    just simply IR Spaeth for the year.
    This may be the final solution revealed at final cuts. Is the potential for a Spaeth return in say Week 8-10 greater than incorporating Baxter into the squad for an entire year? I say no to this. Mostly because Spaeth has a sucky injury and his contribution will be limited if any this season anyway.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.