Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben is gonna get killed...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The reasons I believe Ben typically holds onto the ball are:
    -Not always trusting his ability to throw with anticipation of where his WR's will break open
    -Liking his WR's to be wide open before he throws
    -Not always being the best student of the game. If Ben didn't always put in the work to know his own offense then the question can be raised how well he knew the opposition's defense.

If Ben were Jordanesque competitive then he would put in the work necessary to be a great QB. Ben is a good QB that hasn't aspired to be great. Ben seemed more concerned with "doing things my way". Ben gives the team it's best chance of winning. If Ben continues to hold the ball he will continue to get injured. An injured Ben lessons the team's chances of winning games. I think a majority of this team's fans want a healthy Ben.
    I don't disagree with much of what you say but having a better OL may have caused Ben to think a little different versus adopting "I have to do it my way." He may believe doing it his way is the only way to survive.

For 5-6 years now a mediocre at best OL has kept this offense from being really good.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Excellent post Burgh.

His receivers DO have to be wide open. He certainly has the arm strength to make the throws.

But do you think he hasn't put in the work? Maybe not early on. But he has to be doing something. He looks good.
    Listen to the interview to decide for yourself.

http://www.970espn.com/media/podcast...-827-23640263/

Early on Ben it was probably difficult for Whiz to change Ben. As a result, Ben and Whiz butted heads.

Seeing what Whiz went through Arians wasn't willing to attempt to change the way Ben played.

Last season Ben was resistant to Hailey. Ben wanted to do things his way. We will see what happens going forward.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't disagree with much of what you say but having a better OL may have caused Ben to think a little different versus adopting "I have to do it my way." He may believe doing it his way is the only way to survive.

For 5-6 years now a mediocre at best OL has kept this offense from being really good.
    I believe that having a better Oline in pass protection would only allow Ben to hold onto the ball longer. A better Oline would had allowed the Steelers to have a better run game. It's debatable if a better run game would had improved the passing game or scoring. Most of the scoring that happens in the league is a result of the passing the football. I am not sure if most of the scoring takes place in the red zone. It seems that the Steelers struggle to score points in the red zone consistently. I believe that Ben struggled in the red zone because of the reasons I wrote.

The offense had more opportunities to produce more points even with the Olines they had. They got into the red zone plenty of times and kicked FG's. We'll see what happens this season.

Legend
    Ben isnt a timing QB... but a lot of that is also why we have 3 SB's appearances. I think Ben puts in work but he isnt going to look like a Brady or a Manning.

Part of the reason Brady has all day is because of the scheme. Teams are scared to bring heat but when a team isnt scared their line gets exposed. Giants expose them all the time with the delayed blitz.

Hall of Famer
    As I posted elsewhere, Roethlisberger is sacked at twice the rate as any other top QB in the league. What can be argued is why. I believe, as with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle; he holds onto the ball too long waiting for the big strike, and he is the victim of a pedestrian OL for most of his career.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Ben's gonna hold on to the ball. No way he is gonna screw up his completion percentage or risk picks. He is THAT competitive. Just ask Brett Keisel. Almost Jordanesque competitive. If he had to throw away the ball when no one is open (to his liking) or was under pressure, his completion percentage would be worse than Bradshaw's In the low 50's.

This is how he wins. Sub par lines, sub par to average receivers (except for Hines, who was a possession receiver anyways) for 10 years now. I'll take it!

I'm preaching to the choir, but this will get you pumped up for the season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdqteWmFhaQ

I could watch Ben highlights all day. There's nothing like them. He's a once in a lifetime player. He deserves 3 more rings so there's no doubt he's the GOAT.

+1000000000000!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    As I posted elsewhere, Roethlisberger is sacked at twice the rate as any other top QB in the league.
    Since 2010, Aaron Rodgers has been sacked at a higher rate than Roethlisberger has.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.