Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 53

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You have to be a member of the 53 before you could receive that designation. That is what sucks about it. They will have to carry him and possibly lose a player they released that they were going to bring back to 53.
    Cut David Johnson. It's not like anyone is going to rush out to sign a TE who has done nothing this preseason after coming off a major injury. He'll be there waiting to resign if we can't find better which would be hard to believe if we were really looking.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the report is good on Miller to return to starting line-up before week 4, I think they carry Miller & Spaeth on 53. Then the Steelers have the option of designating Spaeth to IR with return. Spaeth may just go to IR if his timetable doesn't look good and/or if they really like someone on the waiver wire.
    DL speaks for itself. I think they keep Ta'amu & Arnfelt because of their upside shown. The other 5 alone give you 5 DEs & 3 NTs so they have a luxury.
    Our 53s are fairly similar except your 4 TEs take away one from the LB position, likely Baxter who has turned heads. Looking like Miller will be ready before Spaeth but prob neither should play before our bye week. In any case, I guessed one would go on that 6 week PUP list but the rules are cloudy to me so I just counted them both as one. Arnfelt is enticing but I picked the three NT because McLendon can play DE from what I hear...and may do so on occasion when we want to get a bigger body in the middle. More flexibility was the reasoning there. Either way, 7 players for 3 positions is a high ratio but the Giants have proven a well stocked DL pays dividends.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Cut David Johnson. It's not like anyone is going to rush out to sign a TE who has done nothing this preseason after coming off a major injury. He'll be there waiting to resign if we can't find better which would be hard to believe if we were really looking.
    The sticker there is that cutting DJ would leave us with one TE for the first quarter of the season...and Paulson cant block too well. An honest evaluation reveals DJ is far ahead of Paulson in that regard. Doesn't mean he wont get cut when Miller and Spaeth return though. I know, I know, Im not a big fan either...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know many aren't fans and I do believe he could be upgraded but the Steelers situation dictates he has to be here. I'm carry 4 TEs but only 2 can get on the field. They have to carry Spaeth onto the 53 if they want to IR him with designation. Johnson is here because he has been in the system. Just signing a TE off the street doesn't put him on the field right away unless his name is Pope. I'm sure some of you just threw up in your mouth.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Our 53s are fairly similar except your 4 TEs take away one from the LB position, likely Baxter who has turned heads. Looking like Miller will be ready before Spaeth but prob neither should play before our bye week. In any case, I guessed one would go on that 6 week PUP list but the rules are cloudy to me so I just counted them both as one. Arnfelt is enticing but I picked the three NT because McLendon can play DE from what I hear...and may do so on occasion when we want to get a bigger body in the middle. More flexibility was the reasoning there. Either way, 7 players for 3 positions is a high ratio but the Giants have proven a well stocked DL pays dividends.
    As noted carry Spaeth over to the 53 is necessary if you want to put him on the IR with return designation. Miller is the only one who can go on the PUP but if he can get on the field before week 6 he will stay on 53. So carrying 4 TEs only gives you 2 that can play. Using that designation did push Baxter to the PS and once they IR Spaeth he may be one that they bring back up if they don't bring in a vet TE or OL. They may also bring in a vet OL and put Long back to PS. Whimper is the guy I cut because he would be on the street and putting him on the 53 gurantees his salary. Arnfelt & Ta'Amu stay because they have shown enough upside that you would think someone would sign them to there 53 off waivers. Both could be used in rotation but I would assume 1 if not both would be inactive. The flexibility of 5 DLs that give you 5 DEs & 3 NTs may allow the Steelers to have another LB, DB, etc active on gameday. That is why I went that route.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The sticker there is that cutting DJ would leave us with one TE for the first quarter of the season...and Paulson cant block too well. An honest evaluation reveals DJ is far ahead of Paulson in that regard. Doesn't mean he wont get cut when Miller and Spaeth return though. I know, I know, Im not a big fan either...
    You are spot on there. Some of the position flexibility may allow the Steelers to bring in another TE and get him up to speed but D Johnson right now is best case scenario. The long term injuries at several positions will make things difficult and the Steelers may lose a young talent trying to sneak him on the PS.

Legend

User Info Menu

I know many aren't fans and I do believe he could be upgraded but the Steelers situation dictates he has to be here. I'm carry 4 TEs but only 2 can get on the field. They have to carry Spaeth onto the 53 if they want to IR him with designation. Johnson is here because he has been in the system. Just signing a TE off the street doesn't put him on the field right away unless his name is Pope. I'm sure some of you just threw up in your mouth.
    I'd take Pope over David Johnson without hesitation.

Legend

User Info Menu

You got Beachum as your "blocking TE" as we have seen in the preseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a David Johnson fan at all, but I'd take him over Pope.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You may get your wish. Depending on who is out there after final cuts...You may get to see who is better because they may both be here if/after they IR Spaeth with the designation to return. At this point of the season and given the situation...It could be about "best fit". Pope can practice & play week 1. I would like someone other than both D Johnson & Pope but that may be the reality of it.