Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 or 8 OL on the 53?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

7 or 8 OL on the 53?

Given the injuries at TE and RB, we sure could use the extra roster spot somewhere other than OL. It has been argued that we only have 7 linemen worthy of a roster spot anyway and an 8th wouldn't dress for gameday. On the other hand, only keeping 7 could come back to haunt us if we get any injuries. So my question is, how many do we keep and who are they? Ill start by predicting we keep 7: Adams, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Beachum, and maybe Foster. Creatively thinking, our front five could look like Beachum, Gilbert, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams, with Foster as swing but im not so sure he can back up C. What do you think??
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey DoS - you listed Foster twice in your 7. You still get a pick.

Adams - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Gilbert are your starting 5 as long as there is not an injury in the next 2 preseason games. Beachum is the 6th roster spot. I'd lean towards Malecki getting spot 7 (as you need a back-up center and he could play guard if he had to).

After that, it's a toss up if they even go with an 8th. You've got Whimper and Batiste that have NFL experience (albeit limited) but Whimper has looked horrid so far and Batiste has continually been cut. I'd rather go with a younger guy who might have potential than a couple of guys who will never do anything at this level.

Not sure any of the rookies/young guys have done enough to make the 53. Long was a PS player last year. I see Golic on the PS this year and Hubbard is undersized at 286 compared to the rest of the line.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't really like any of the lineman after the starting 5 and Beachum. I wouldn't be surprised if we look for another FA after some cuts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I don't really like any of the lineman after the starting 5 and Beachum. I wouldn't be surprised if we look for another FA after some cuts.
    Yes to this
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, maybe that's why I listed Foster 2x haha. I think I meant to say Long as a backup at OT. Yeah, 7th man looks shaky...8th is almost out of the question!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Starter

User Info Menu

They opened the season in 2010 and 2011 with nine OL. Not counting the LS.

They almost always keep nine every year.

But I can see how this year could be different.

Me, I keep 3. DeCastro, Pouncey, Beachum okay maybe 4 throw in Adams.

Waiver wire anyone?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why can't the Steelers scouting staff be a little creative like the Pats and Hawks? They mentioned that one of Hawks guards was actually converted from DE. Pats are also known for doing that kind of stuff. It makes me wonder whether the OL scouts on the Steelers need to be fired enmasse.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we go to 9 there must be someone new brought in. Otherwise who is this 8th or 9th NFL caliber Olineman that they keep?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We will pick up a waiver OL or two, I think. If two, we may be more likely to keep 8. And then there is the additional need for Gilbert insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kelvin Beachum played strictly left tackle at SMU. The Steelers drafted him last year to play guard. Saturday night, he played tight end. Thursday night, he will play center against the Carolina Panthers and maybe a little tackle, too.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee, 66, played all nine positions on a baseball field in a minor league game last week. Beachum looks to be working on the football version of that.

He will play his fourth position in a game and his second season hasn't begun. What's next? Sending him out on pass routes? Saturday night, the phrase referee Jeff Triplette repeated most often into his microphone was "No. 68 is an eligible receiver."

"My wife said she kind of got tired of hearing it," Beachum said.

"It would be fun to see him do that," Heath Miller said of the chance Beachum might catch a pass. "I don't know if that's in the plans or not, but we'll see what happens I guess."

Coach Mike Tomlin said he liked what Beachum did as a tight end against Kansas City. So did Miller.

"He's definitely a better blocker than me," Miller said. "They didn't give him a chance to get down the field, so that's still a question mark. We'll see what he can do."

Who could have predicted Beachum would be so versatile? Perhaps those who picked him to be a student rep to the SMU Board of Trustees, or his position on the SMU Student Affairs Leadership Council had an idea of a different versatility. But on the Mustangs' football field, Beachum experienced a luxury he does not have with the Steelers -- he started every game in his four seasons at left tackle, 52 of them.

Here he has been not so much a jack of all trades as a master of them all. Wherever they put him, he has excelled. There are those who believe he should start at tackle, as he did five games in his rookie season, but Beachum said he is happy to help out wherever, whenever. That includes snapping a football for the first time in a game in Charlotte, N.C. Thursday.

He said he is not the least bit nervous about doing something in a game he has been practicing since line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. approached him in the spring about adding center to his repertoire.

"It's football. I've been snapping in practice. I've been practicing it all offseason. I had a chance to work on it during training camp, and I'm still working on it. My snapping has gotten a lot better.

"There comes a point where you just have to play football. Go out there and do your job."

That's the approach he has taken at each position.

"Just learn as much as I can, listen to the coaches, listen to people who played the position. Search out answers, search out for solutions to try to be the best at whatever position I'm at."

He claims to have no favorite.

"No, right now it's just wherever they feel I can be the best asset to the team. Whether it's offensive line or playing the big tight end, wherever they feel I need to be, I'm going to play."

The Steelers drafted Beachum in the seventh round in 2012 after 247 other players were chosen by NFL teams.

Needed: extra snapper

It's not the hottest competition in training camp, it might not even be a competition, but, with James Harrison no longer on the team, the question begs: Who is the emergency backup long-snapper?

Greg Warren enters his ninth season as the team's long snapper and, while he did miss portions of the 2008 and 2009 seasons with injuries, they were able to find another long-snapper to replace him each time. But there was that one game in 2008, when Warren was forced out with an injury, and the Steelers were forced to turn to Harrison as their long-snapper.

It came against the New York Giants at Heinz Field. The Steelers were leading, 14-12, midway through the fourth quarter when Mitch Berger dropped back to punt. Harrison's snap sailed over his head and out of the end zone for a safety to tie it at 14 and the Giants went on to win, 21-14.

So, who goes in to snap for punts and field goals if Warren leaves mid-game with an injury?

Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski.

"I'm just an all-around athlete," Gradkowski said, with a smile.

He tried it at Seton-LaSalle High School, although he cannot remember if he ever snapped in a game. He has fooled around with it in practice the way baseball players try to throw knuckleballs. It has gotten him on Tomlin's list as the team's emergency snapper.

If it happens, he might be the first NFL quarterback to make a snap from center, long or short.

"I know we laugh about it, but, if it comes down to it ..." Gradkowski said.

"I enjoy coach Tomlin when he puts a clip on of special teams because that's exciting. If I played any other position, I'd die to be out there on the field with special teams."

Some day, he might get that chance.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2dFhbVkW9[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha