Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DE Cameron Heyward earns top defensive marks for performance against Chiefs

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's face it, on their best day Heyward, Hood, and McClendon still have less than half the talent and ability that Aaron Smith, Brett Kiesel, and Casey Hampton had in their prime.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    The guy rarely stands out to me. I dont think his ceiling is as high as you all seem to. The fact that he cant beat out Hood who is average and Keisel who is old speaks volumes.
    have to agree with this. I'm disappointed in heyward to this point. He may have earned high marks the other night, but shouldn't that be an expectation by now? He was playing well into the 4th quarter. How many 1st rounders was he going against? I'm willing to bet not that many.

IMO, the steelers should go back to drafting DEs in rounds 4-7 and let them develop.

edit- and I thought decastro had a very good night as ooppsed to the article in the OP.
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 08-26-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    have to agree with this. I'm disappointed in heyward to this point. He may have earned high marks the other night, but shouldn't that be an expectation by now? He was playing well into the 4th quarter. How many 1st rounders was he going against? I'm willing to bet not that many.

IMO, the steelers should go back to drafting DEs in rounds 4-7 and let them develop.

edit- and I thought decastro had a very good night as ooppsed to the article in the OP.
    thats what i was saying right after we drafted (first) hood and before taking heyward.

especially now seeing how well woods is playing and the UFRF kid arnfelt.

if they knew keisal was doing a good job, why draft his replacem,ent 2-3 years before his time was up where he only saw limited action

Rookie

User Info Menu

He rarely stands out because he rarely gets an opportunity to do so...

Steve McClendon played 270 defensive snaps last year and recorded 7 total tackles and 2 sacks...

Cameron Heyward played 264 defensive snaps last year and recorded 20 total tackles and 1.5 sacks...

I think they are both good players who end up riding the bench because Mitchell likes to go with his veteran players, period...

I think if Keisel had been injured instead of Aaron Smith, Heyward would be the multi year starter and not Hood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so you think mitchell doesn't field the players he thinks offers the best chance for the steelers to win?

and lebeau and tomlin go along with it?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think Mitchell believes that his veteran players always give the team the best chance to win. I think Tomlin and LeBeau go along with it because Mitchell played and coached for Bear Bryant and Mitchell has been with the Steelers longer than either of them...

Mitchell gets results...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm having trouble with your logic. You said mitchell has good players like heyward and mclendon ride the bench in favor of veterans. Which implies that they (mclendon/heyward) are better than the veterans playing in front of them.

and then you go on to say that tomlin/lebeau go along with this because mitchell has been around longer?

no way do I believe that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We are talking about a first round pick, in his 3rd year in the NFL, grading out great against back ups and draft picks. Pardon me for not being very excited. First round picks on 3-4 DE is a moronic move. Our best 3-4 ends, Smith, Kemo, Keisel, were late round picks and a cheap free agent. Tomlin can't judge talent other than WR.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    We are talking about a first round pick, in his 3rd year in the NFL, grading out great against back ups and draft picks. Pardon me for not being very excited. First round picks on 3-4 DE is a moronic move. Our best 3-4 ends, Smith, Kemo, Keisel, were late round picks and a cheap free agent. Tomlin can't judge talent other than WR.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you and Eddie. I say unfortunately because I like Heyward and was really hoping for more after Hood has been average. I hope the change in d-line philosophy results in better performances by both Hood and Heyward. I have more hope for Cam than I do for Ziggy.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I'm having trouble with your logic. You said mitchell has good players like heyward and mclendon ride the bench in favor of veterans. Which implies that they (mclendon/heyward) are better than the veterans playing in front of them.

and then you go on to say that tomlin/lebeau go along with this because mitchell has been around longer?

no way do I believe that.
    That isn't exactly what I posted, but believe whatever you want...