Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers trim roster to 75

Legend

User Info Menu

believe so, wasnt he cut?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    He has alot of competition, of course, and I think Justin Brown could win the 5th spot. It might come down to special teams ability.
    If it comes down to special teams play they may as well cut them both

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

I thought he cleared waivers so wouldn't he revert to our IR?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Baron Batch should forget football and write children's books and illustrate them himself. I think he would be a hit in that field. But I think he could do well in many of the creative fields.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Baron Batch should forget football and write children's books and illustrate them himself. I think he would be a hit in that field. But I think he could do well in many of the creative fields.
    Sad to wonder what he might have been in the NFL if there had been no ACL tear...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Sad to wonder what he might have been in the NFL if there had been no ACL tear...
    That was my first thought as well when I saw he got a visit from the Turk. Still believe Dwyer gets cut that first year if Batch had stayed healthy. He was so out of shape and not showing anything until the last hour and they needed RBS.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No shock with Sly being let go. At camp even I was able to see he was being outplayed by some of the kids. Perhaps that was more of some of our young ILB are just a little better. At least thats how I saw it at latrobe. I always liked Sly and hope he catches on somewhere.
    Woods being cut was a surprise to me as he showed well at camp. We do have a decent amount of depth at WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers roster cuts: the release three offensive linemen leaves depth chart undecided

By SteelCityRoller on Aug 26 2013

The Steelers know who the top seven offensive linemen on their depth chart will be. While the position battle rages on for any remaining available spot, the team narrowed the field by three without a whimper.

The Pittsburgh Steelers parted ways with three offensive linemen on Sunday as they reduced their roster to the NFL mandated 75 player limit, but the battle for spots on the depth chart is anything but decided.

The team knows who their starting five will be. Maurkice Pouncey will continue to anchor the line at center. David DeCastro and Ramon Foster will line up next to him at the guard positions. Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert will begin the season as the team's tackles, even if the team isn't sure which side either man should start on. Swingman Kelvin Beachum will be the primary reserve at both guard and tackle, and John Malecki will most likely serve as the backup center and a reserve guard. However, the team will want to keep at least one more for insurance, but they're not quite sure who it will be.

On Sunday, the Steelers decided who it will not be. They released offensive tackles D'Anthony Batiste and undrafted rookie Mike Farrell. They also waived/injured guard Justin Cheadle, who was presumed to be next on the depth chart before suffering a significant hamstring injury in practice during training camp. The men left competing for any available roster spots are tackles Guy Whimper and Joe Long, guards Chris Hubbard and Mike Golic Jr, and center Joe Madsen. None of them have really set themselves apart from the rest so far.

Whimper has the benefit of veteran experience, but has played more like the unemployed lineman the team signed in free agency. Long's brother has been a franchise left tackle for the Miami Dolphins and now the St. Louis Rams, but the Steelers' Long has played like an undrafted castaway thus far, although he has received regular snaps with the second string offensive line. Golic has only seen the field on special teams and has left plenty to be desired in practice. Hubbard has gone relatively unnoticed, and Madsen has found himself buried behind Pouncey, Malecki and even Beachum who also took snaps at center in practices.

With less than a week and only one more preseason game to play before final rosters must be trimmed to 53 players, those remaining will need to prove to they belong in the team's plans for the season; or the team could replace them with free-agents from outside the organization.

With one active roster spot and two practice squad seats seemingly still up for grabs, the remaining linemen need to make the most of every snap along the line before they run out of time.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/26/4658940/steelers-roster-preseason-offensive-line-Farrell-Cheadle-Batiste[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha