Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones' 4.9 speed evident.......

Backup

User Info Menu

If you give me a Head start, I'm gonna run away from most anyone to. Chase was already going straight ahead, as where Jones was not, he had to get going...Under that same scenario, I guarantee you Chase runs away from Troy and Ike as well.
    You have zero concept of Football speed, and how it translates on to the field. You are just looking for some reason to Hate on Jones. Go away son. You are WAY past your Bedtime.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    If you give me a Head start, I'm gonna run away from most anyone to. Chase was already going straight ahead, as where Jones was not, he had to get going...Under that same scenario, I guarantee you Chase runs away from Troy and Ike as well.
    You have zero concept of Football speed, and how it translates on to the field. You are just looking for some reason to Hate on Jones. Go away son. You are WAY past your Bedtime.
    OK Closet Pats Fan. No he doesn't run away from Troy.... Jones was in a full run and even if he wasn't his strength is acceleration. I texted my friend this week and told him he was right about Jones being a beast so quit telling me my agenda. I will also take this moment to let you know you are a tool and I think this entire board agrees with me since you've shot your mouth off on this board over and over since you crawled in here (almost 200 posts in less than a month since you've signed up means you've said a lot about nothing).
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think JJ is way faster than the 4.9. Go back and watch the second kickoff. JJ was the first guy down the field making the hit. I think that's a great indicator of his real speed.

Plus the kid is quick off the ball and has a great burst over 5-10 yards.

It's likely he just had a bad angle to make the play. And Chase showed how quick he was on a couple of plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

This may be one of the most moronic nit picking posts i've read in awhile.
    With all the other things wrong at this moment you choose to bring up the one play where a speedy QB outruns an OLB that has played 2+ quarters of football towards the sideline?
    I can't believe I'm saying this but sedated has it right this one time....LOL

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers defense already can't afford to lose Jones

August 26, 2013
    By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jarvis Jones, whose chest was injured in the fourth quarter, was released from the hospital Sunday. Tests showed no damage.

Many of the Kansas City Chiefs players had huge smiles when Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones went down in a pile on the Heinz Field turf in front of their bench Saturday night and didn't get up. The first thought was that Jones somehow took a shot to the groin. It's a guy thing to laugh when that happens as long as you're not the guy who is experiencing that unfortunate, even temporarily paralyzing agony.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin walked all the way across the field to check on Jones, his terrific young rookie linebacker, who was the most active and productive player in the Steelers' 26-20 overtime loss. Tomlin also had a big grin when Jones finally made it up and started back toward the Steelers bench. Many of Jones' teammates appeared to be teasing him when he finally got there.

Here's the thing, though:

No one was laughing after the game. Jones was taken out of Heinz Field on a gurney and moved to a local hospital for evaluation of what the team called a "chest injury." It's safe to say he would have much preferred that unpleasant hit to the groin.

The Steelers had no update on Jones Sunday other than to say he was sent home from the hospital and tests on his injury were negative. That's supposed to be a good thing, but it doesn't provide any clarity to how much time -- if any -- he will miss. Will it be one game? Two games? Heaven forbid for the Steelers, more games?

If Jones is out for a significant period of time, he will be very much missed by the team's defense. He has played so well that he deserves to be the starting outside right linebacker in the opening game Sept. 8 against the Tennessee Titans. He has received much more playing time than veteran Jason Worilds and, clearly, has taken advantage of it by making one big play after another.

Isn't that what good defensive football is supposed to be about? Making splash plays? Helping to change momentum with a sack or a quarterback hurry? Helping the offense with a turnover? Jones has a chance to give the Steelers what they missed last season despite having the NFL's top defense in fewest yards allowed.

Jones was injured midway through the fourth quarter when he was tackled after intercepting a deflected pass. In the previous exhibition game against the Washington Redskins, he forced a fumble. In the first exhibition game against the New York Giants, he recovered a fumble.

"He's got a knack," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said of Jones. "The ball likes him. You need guys like that."

Jones made an impact Saturday night long before his interception, which was nullified by a pass interference penalty against cornerback Josh Victorian. Playing on special teams, he had a big hit on Chiefs kick returner Knile Davis. He had a big part in stopping running back Jamaal Charles for no gain on a fourth-and-inches play from the Kansas City 21. His rush forced a high throw and incompletion by quarterback Alex Smith. He nearly knocked tackle Branden Albert and Davis, a running back, into their quarterback on separate plays with bull rushes.

"He's got a little explosiveness to him," Foote said. "He's still a rookie, but he's getting better. He can crash the line down and push people around and create stuff. He's strong, but he also can cover. I'm sure the coaches are going to have a lot of fun running games with him and the guys up front because he can do so many things."

This is what the Steelers expected from Jones when they drafted him No. 1 in April after it became clear free agent James Harrison wasn't going to re-sign with the team. Foote has it right about Jones. He's a rookie, but he's getting better every practice, every game. It's nice to think his chest injury won't be much of a setback.

"He likes to play," Foote said.

That's a big part of the package it takes to be a big-time linebacker in the NFL.

"He can play," Foote said.

That makes it a complete package.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2d3MAd4kc[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    This may be one of the most moronic nit picking posts i've read in awhile.
    With all the other things wrong at this moment you choose to bring up the one play where a speedy QB outruns an OLB that has played 2+ quarters of football towards the sideline?
    I can't believe I'm saying this but sedated has it right this one time....LOL
    that's just wrong dude. just plain wrong!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chase Daniels ran a 4.79 official 40 time. One report had him at 5.12. The announcer said "he's fast" and now you all wanna make him Michael Vick???

Backup

User Info Menu

I saw Peyton Manning outrun Lawrence Timmons on a play last season. **** happens sometimes.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Aight everyone leave Sid alone. We are all allowed one bad post a year. He just spent his up early

Jones has solid football speed but not great football speed. He is as fast or faster than Woodley, that I know. But, Jones wasn't brought into the Burgh to run 40 yard dashes. He was brought into the Burgh to help the Steelers win games...and that's what I think he will do. He is disruptive, and opportunistic...something we have been missing since 2010. Barring injury he will be a great one.

Backup

User Info Menu

First off, a few things Syd is clueless about. One....Jones, 40 time was NEVER 4.9, it was 4.84, and was still faster then anything that T-Suggs ever ran when he came out....Ah, hey Syd, how has Suggs done so far as a Pro ? Two....As it goes to that play on Saturday night, did it ever accure to Syd that MAYBE, either Jones was in pain from that Chest Injury ?...or that maybe he wasn't going all out cause he saw down the field that his secondary teammates were about to tackle/force Chase out of bounds ?...and I mean what would be the POINT of going all out on a meaningless pursuit of a back-up QB in a Preseason game ?

You see it is people like this MORON Syd...he's the kind of guy who falls in LOVE with " Numbers "....Oh no. Not the numbers that count, but physical Numbers...40 time, what a player does on the Bench, and what his Verticle leap is. You see, if Syd could have his way RIGHT NOW....He would GLADLY DUMP Jarvis Jones....and Immediately sign.........former Jets
    1st rounder...... "Vernon Gholston" ....right now!! Cause that is Syd's " Brokeback Mountain " Boy!!! I mean a 6ft, 3, 254 Lbs OLB who ran a 4.37 forty, 48 inch verticle, and Benched 225....37 times ???? Ojooo weee...You KNOW Ole Gholston is the
    " Heath Ledger " to Syd's "Jake Gyllenhaal "

Go ahead Syd, go Day Dream about your Dream man...Vernon Gholston...and his sub-4.4 forty time...Ah, where exactly in the NFL is he ? I thought so!!