Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Johnson V's Paulson

Administrator

User Info Menu

DJ has been garbage, is currently garbage and will always be garbage.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

David Johnson single handedly cost this franchise a Super Bowl. He did a stunning job of knifing between BJ Raji and Clay Matthews a split second before they met in the Steeler backfield on top of Rashard Mendenhall when he fumbled in the 4th quarter. Rashard didn't have a chance. If he blocks ANYBODY on the play, the drive continues, the Steelers likely take the lead...

Paulson isn't much better. He got blown off the ball to the point where his butt caused the screen pass turned TD fumble that sealed the San Diego debacle last year.

But we traded up in the 4th this spring, then took a quarterback 4 picks later. Still makes perfect sense to me.

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben's situation in the new offense reminds me a good deal of RG III's in DC... dude is a competitor who wants to play. His handlers are looking out for his health. A clash ensues. I don't think the Rooneys are disrespecting BBR at all by tweaking the offense to reduce the number of hits he takes.In theory, the team's window for winning Super Bowls extends, Ben's career is longer to the tune of multiple additional contract millions, and everybody's happy. Of course, if they were serious about reducing those hits, they'd start by rostering a couple of people who belong on an NFL offensive line, not center ring in a Mexican bullfighting arena. Doesn't really matter what offense you're running if nobody can get it blocked.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, the way they are going about it doesn't change the risk of injury.

But Haley and AJRJones are too dumb to figure it out.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    Unfortunately, the way they are going about it doesn't change the risk of injury.

But Haley and AJRJones are too dumb to figure it out.
    Agreed... A for effort, C- for execution at this point. Bad personnel decisions and player development have monkey wrenched the process. A lot of high picks expended with not a lot of results to date. I don't disagree with the concept of a quicker rhythm throw/ dynamic run game offense replacing Bruce Arians' efforts to channel 1970's Al Davis with an aging QB. I'm going about 7 on the over/under for the number of games Carson Palmer plays for Arians in Arizona before he gets decapitated. Only QB in the league more likely to go down is Mike Vick.

My problem is with the fact that the line was subpar last year, so they solved that by promoting last year's subpar backups to subpar starters, then signing absolute garbage for depth. Guy Whimper? Good Lord, JACKSONVILLE didn't want him back. D'Anthony Batiste? Didn't he play on the Island of Misfit Steelers in Arizona last year? If you're trying to keep your QB upright, bringing in guys who are responsible for pass pro even worse than yours just doesn't make sense.

This team used to augment it's own guys with smart free agent signings from the outside. Where have the Will Wolford/Wayne Gandy/Jeff Hartings/Justin Hartwig type of mid level free agents gone? This can, in my opinion, still be salvaged if Jack Bicknell can do something with the line the way Carnell Lake has with the secondary and if the FO can scout other camps for some actual NFL quality OL depth.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    DJ has been garbage, is currently garbage and will always be garbage.
    A human being is not garbage. But the level of animosity directed toward this dude is just off the charts. This will come back to all you and everybody who imitates that. Thankfully you and the others are just fans, who blind yourselves with petty hates and are not in charge of personnel decisions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    A human being is not garbage. But the level of animosity directed toward this dude is just off the charts. This will come back to all you and everybody who imitates that. Thankfully you and the others are just fans, who blind yourselves with petty hates and are not in charge of personnel decisions.
    I don't think anyone is going after anything but his playing ability and not his character. I don't think anyone on this board knows anything about DJ's character .... although I wouldn't put DJ in the "garbage" class myself, i'm still mad about the SuperBowl wiff!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Michael Palmer makes Dennis Johnson expendable!
    Dennis Johnson, the old Celtics point guard?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    Dennis Johnson, the old Celtics point guard?
    And David Johnson too!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers Depot Is reporting one change this week to the depth chart. Johnson is now behind Speath and in front of Paulson on the depth chart.