Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets May Pursue Sanders

Legend

User Info Menu

Jets May Pursue Sanders

Hopefully the Jets and Pats get into a bidding war. Maybe he gets a big enough deal to bring a 4th round comp pick in exchange.

The Jets may have to fend off their division rivals for Sanders, whose career highs in receptions (67), yards (740) and touchdowns (six) in his first year as a full-time starter with the Steelers last season helped land him on Gang Green’s wish list too.
    The Patriots signed Sanders to a 1-year, $2.5 million offer sheet when he was a restricted free agent last offseason, but Pittsburgh matched it rather than let him go and take New England's third-round pick.
    At 5-11, 180 pounds, Sanders also isn’t a big-bodied receiver that the Jets need (Hill doesn’t count), but his 4.4 speed and quickness would be a solid fit in Mornhinweg’s scheme.
    The Steelers tried to maximize Sanders’ run-after-the-catch ability in his fourth season. A quarter of his receptions in 2013 came on passes caught behind the line of scrimmage. Fifty-one percent came within nine yards of the line of scrimmage. Sanders also has experience as a punt and kick returner, which is an area of need for Ryan’s team.
    “He’s an explosive player and he’s fast,” Bill Belichick said in the run-up to the Patriots-Steelers game in Week 9. “He’s dangerous on catch-and-run plays like tear screens, reverses and kick returns. He’s also a good route runner with quickness and obviously speed and big-play ability.”
    The Steelers may be inclined to let Sanders, who will turn 27 next month, walk, to pave the way for second-year wideout Markus Wheaton. The Patriots could make another run at Sanders, especially if unrestricted free agent Julian Edelman leaves town.

Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-interested-upgrading-wr-target-free-agents-maclin-sanders-article-1.1605461#ixzz2se3Z2LwQ[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Sanders can vanish into obscurity like Wallace.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I am hoping someone takes him. I'm ready to see what Wheaton and Moye can do.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Hopefully the Jets and Pats get into a bidding war. Maybe he gets a big enough deal to bring a 4th round comp pick in exchange.
    If the Jets land him, he will in all likelihood see diminished numbers, because Ben isn't the quarterback; however, the Pats with Brady will be able to make something of him at least to the level that Ben was able to do.

It's all about the quarterback, unless, you're Johnson (Calvin), Johnson (Andre), Green, etc

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

WRs are a dime a dozen. I'd still take Manny back at a reasonable price. He's got his issues with catching passes, but he does some things well. Kid blocks his tail off which I respect.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

An outside team actively pursuing sanders just baffles me

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dudes not clutch. With his athletic ability he's a real letdown. Like Nate Washington we won't miss him. A lot of depth in the draft this year.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sanders can vanish into obscurity like Wallace.
    He can also follow in the footsteps of former Steelers WRs who have had success with the Jets, like Burress and Holmes. Oh, wait...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    WRs are a dime a dozen. I'd still take Manny back at a reasonable price. He's got his issues with catching passes, but he does some things well. Kid blocks his tail off which I respect.
    I'd also take him back at OUR price. He really hasn't done enough to earn a big contract but as has been said there will be enough teams out there with cap space who will likely overpay him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Dudes not clutch. With his athletic ability he's a real letdown. Like Nate Washington we won't miss him. A lot of depth in the draft this year.

was 2.5 mill "clutch" money? Was that 3rd round pick a clutch pick?

I understand the frustration with Sanders drops but I think he is no different than the next WR with similar talent... they all drop clutch passes from time to time.