Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting things happening in Detroit

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    No one is gonna take Landry off our PS...NO WAY!! Too few of positions to give a 4th round QB a guaranteed roster spot.
    If you were speculating on a player who would have to go to the PS in order to sign a guy like Scheffler ?...then thats easy. They would dump Mccoy!
    That is crazy talk, Landry would be gone before the ink dried off his transfer order to the PS. The Steelers know this and will not take that chance.

Backup

User Info Menu

Shawn, what team would open up a Guaranteed roster spot for a rookie 4th round QB ? Name one time that has ever happened ? Not a chance in hell it happens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Shawn, what team would open up a Guaranteed roster spot for a rookie 4th round QB ? Name one time that has ever happened ? Not a chance in hell it happens.
    We are talking about the 53. The tag "4th round QB" doesn't become part of the talk. What team would sign Jones as their #3? Well...Look at the #3's around the league and see if his upside would get some attention.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    We are talking about the 53. The tag "4th round QB" doesn't become part of the talk. What team would sign Jones as their #3? Well...Look at the #3's around the league and see if his upside would get some attention.
    I'd say it's a 50/50 because he once was pretty highly regarded a year earlier. I remember back hearing people talk about him as one of the top QB prospects. But then last year, no one took him until the 4th round, so maybe teams wouldn't be that interested?

Backup

User Info Menu

After watching yesterdays game, Joseph Fauria looks like a pretty solid LOCK to make the Lions. He was good. Both in Catching & Blocking. If they can't get someone to trade for him, look for TE Scheffler to outright released from Detroit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd say it's a 50/50 because he once was pretty highly regarded a year earlier. I remember back hearing people talk about him as one of the top QB prospects. But then last year, no one took him until the 4th round, so maybe teams wouldn't be that interested?
    We could just look in our division for an exercise. Skelton, Hanie, & Hoyer look like #3's. Some experience there. Since #3 holds the clip board and see little reps...You could get away adding one to learn after cuts. Does Jones have more upside than any listed? Does any of those 3 have a chance to be a starter based on what they have shown? I think those are the questions asked. No way a team carrying 2 QBs signs Jones. But don't forget...If he is in the final cuts he goes through waivers. He also has to agree to a PS contract with the Steelers. He doesn't have to return here...We lose rights in cut.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After watching yesterdays game, Joseph Fauria looks like a pretty solid LOCK to make the Lions. He was good. Both in Catching & Blocking. If they can't get someone to trade for him, look for TE Scheffler to outright released from Detroit.
    If the Steeler's plan is to PUP Miller & IR Spaeth, I would trade a 5th back for Scheffler but it has to be now. It will be too late in final cuts to bring him here. At that point, they may just go with the better of D Johnson & McCoy. That would be my guess. Of course, a surprise first cut may change things.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If the Steeler's plan is to PUP Miller & IR Spaeth, I would trade a 5th back for Scheffler but it has to be now. It will be too late in final cuts to bring him here. At that point, they may just go with the better of D Johnson & McCoy. That would be my guess. Of course, a surprise first cut may change things.

Miller has already been removed from the PUP list, and is expected back by week 3 or 4 at the latest. So they won't, and even CAN'T place Miller on that list. He'll be back. And Scheffler will be released, not traded. If a team had interest in trading for Scheffler, it would have happened by now. According to Detroit free press, they have been trying for 2 weeks. No takers. Teams will wait til he is released. That way they can avoid paying Scheffler's Base salary.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Miller has already been removed from the PUP list, and is expected back by week 3 or 4 at the latest. So they won't, and even CAN'T place Miller on that list. He'll be back. And Scheffler will be released, not traded. If a team had interest in trading for Scheffler, it would have happened by now. According to Detroit free press, they have been trying for 2 weeks. No takers. Teams will wait til he is released. That way they can avoid paying Scheffler's Base salary.
    You are 0-2 here...Doing good today. Miller & Spence are still on the PUP. Asking price is why no trade. The business has let it go on for 2 weeks. Schefflers salary is 2 mil which isn't that bad. The reason the trade hasn't went through has a lot to do with Scheffler being in the last year of that deal. Always a concern when you trade a pick away. His base isn't guaranteed unless he is on the roster week 1 and he is already counted in rule 51 so salary is not an issue for them. They may let him go in 1st cuts as a gesture of good faith if there is no smoke in the trade talks. An injury can change everything too.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 08-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Well technically he hasn't. But they already announced that they will before the start of the season. Which obviously means he will be healthy before game 6 cause if he is kept on the PUP when the season starts, he HAS to miss the first 6 games. So that is proof that Miller will be back before then. And Scheffler being on his final year is only MORE of a reason to trade for him, not a lesser one. The fact is, why pay 2 million when you can sign him outright after he is released for 1/5th that amount ???