Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting things happening in Detroit

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Paulson will be a force in the passing game...but he can't block and that is a serious problem.
    I think the uncertainty of what Paulson will be when the season starts in the passing game and blocking is a serious problem. Paulson hasn't shown he will be a force in any aspect of the game. Not saying it can't or won't happen but right now...Just questions. Paulson has to block and block effectively. If he is the #1..There isn't anyway around that. He hasn't shown anything yet to stop a DC from calling run blitzes in down & distance. He better jump off the page here quick because the Steelers aren't putting anything on the field that will change a DC's mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

I won't completely agree with you JPN. He has at least shown himself to be difficult to cover in training camp. He also had a nice long catch last game. I have heard the term "uncoverable" in reference to his ability to run routes. I have also heard "raw" in reference to his blocking. He isn't Heath, and I don't expect him to be. But, he can't be in games only on passing plays...so he has to get better at blocking to be effective in the passing game.

Backup

User Info Menu

I won't completely agree with you JPN. He has at least shown himself to be difficult to cover in training camp. He also had a nice long catch last game. I have heard the term "uncoverable" in reference to his ability to run routes. I have also heard "raw" in reference to his blocking. He isn't Heath, and I don't expect him to be. But, he can't be in games only on passing plays...so he has to get better at blocking to be effective in the passing game.

Yah but who is covering him in our practices ?...OUR Secondary!! As for that one catch, that was really ALL Ben! Ben scrambled to the left, then the right, was running around for like 10 seconds, hell I could easily gotton open on that play. All Paulson did was just stand there by the sideline with no defender within 15 yards of him and catch a easy pass.

Hardly note worthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Trading for Scheffler also includes a 2 mil salary. Not a bad number but he is also in the last year of his contract which could actually decrease the compensation. Given the situation with Spaeth, Miller, and now Bell...I would look into this if the compensation was 5th back. This Has to be done asap to get him here to learn. Waiting until final cuts to sign him would be too late. The Steelers might be forced now to PUP Miller & Spence, IR Spaeth, and possibly IR Bell with designation to return. Defining a return with no surgery for anyone suffering a Lisfranc injury is not defined. The Steelers also have to consider losing some promising young talent to 53 an injured vet long term. Carrying Paulson, Palmer, & Scheffler with Miller possibly returning after week 6 sure makes me feel a lot better about the TE position.

That will be the "hindsight" conversation we will be having after what the Steelers "actually" do for the start of the season. You get the feeling they may carry Miller & Spaeth on 53 along with Paulson & Palmer. Let the 3rd spot to either D Johnson or McCoy and Tuck away Overbay or Tuitupou on the PS. Then possibly lose a CB, LB, or WR with promise trying to sneak him on the PS. Spaeth was the answer until Miller returned from PUP or starting inactive on 53. Now they just don't have the luxury of sitting on Miller as an inactive on the 53 or trying to save Spaeth's season. They will really struggle again in the run game without a legit TE receiving threat. Add in the fact that Bell will be watching and only one new face (Howling) is in the backfield...They have some difficult decisions ahead of them.
    I wonder if they'd try to sneak Landry on the PS? Probably not. But these injuries have really f'd some guys on the bubble.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wonder if they'd try to sneak Landry on the PS? Probably not. But these injuries have really f'd some guys on the bubble.

No one is gonna take Landry off our PS...NO WAY!! Too few of positions to give a 4th round QB a guaranteed roster spot.
    If you were speculating on a player who would have to go to the PS in order to sign a guy like Scheffler ?...then thats easy. They would dump Mccoy!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Yah but who is covering him in our practices ?...OUR Secondary!! Hardly note worthy.
    Who was number one in pass defense? DESPITE a poor pass rush?
    yeah they cant pick you off but it aint easy to beat our secondary either.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Who was number one in pass defense? DESPITE a poor pass rush?
    yeah they cant pick you off but it aint easy to beat our secondary either.

The players we have this year are NOT the solid players we had last year. Like Mundy, Allen, and K.Lewis, all of whom would be covering a TE like Paulson, and not the few we still have now, like Troy or Ike, they don't ever cover TE's.

Legend

User Info Menu

The players we have this year are NOT the solid players we had last year. Like Mundy, Allen, and K.Lewis, all of whom would be covering a TE like Paulson, and not the few we still have now, like Troy or Ike, they don't ever cover TE's.
    I think Golden/Thomas are already significantly better in coverage than Mundy/Allen. Gay's been getting most of the 1st team reps at CB and he's nowhere close to Lewis. I haven't been impressed by what I've seen from Brown or Hawthorne. I'm hoping we keep Victorian who has been pretty good in coverage and might be the best in the secondary at playing the ball in the air. Although he's really small and doesn't fit the typical Steelers CB mold. What I don't get is why Victorian hasn't really gotten any looks in the slot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It was a nice catch after Ben was Ben. His production will be based on his ability to get off jambs and separate himself quickly from LBs to be first & 2nd read routes. He needed to improve his playing strength to be a good Steelers TE. Just from observation, it looks like he worked this offseason. You can see a little difference but I don't think he is there yet. Let's see if what you "heard" translates to the field. He hasn't shown anything to date that he is nothing more than a #2 or #3. We can all have high hopes but he will need to show it on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yah but who is covering him in our practices ?...OUR Secondary!! As for that one catch, that was really ALL Ben! Ben scrambled to the left, then the right, was running around for like 10 seconds, hell I could easily gotton open on that play. All Paulson did was just stand there by the sideline with no defender within 15 yards of him and catch a easy pass.

Hardly note worthy.
    If Timmons is having a hard time covering him, that is indeed noteworthy.