Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting things happening in Detroit

Backup

User Info Menu

Interesting things happening in Detroit

Okay, we all know right now, we have a little bit of a situation at our TE position. Especially when it comes to having a proven pass catcher TE. Well reports are coming out of Detroit that TE "Tony Scheffler " might be cut from the Lions pretty soon. Now their Head Coach has said that Scheffler is a part of their offense this year. But unnamed sources say that the Lions will keep only 3 TE's, and that 7th round Blocking rookie
    TE Michael Williams, and Undrafted rookie TE Joseph Fauria from UCLA, A guy by the way I wanted Pittsburgh to draft in the 7th round this past draft are the players likely to make the team. That leaves Scheffler on the outside looking in. And reports are split that in tonights Important 3rd preseason game tonight against New England that Scheffler will get alot of playing time, and plays to show case him to the rest of the league.
    A Detroit Radio station said that the Lions have already reached out to Miami about Scheffler, and maybe Pittsburgh as well. But so far I can't find anything on the net to confirm that report fans. But my question is this, IF after tonights game, and after the first round of Cuts, IF Tony Scheffler is indeed released....would you want the Steelers to sign him ? Would his pass catching ability help us til Miller returns ?

What say you guys ?

Legend

User Info Menu

No, I hope that helps.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like any of the three you mention. I wanted Fauria too and would have preferred him or Williams over WR Justin Brown
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd rather see more of Wheaton in a 4 WR set than a mediocre TE until Heath comes back. I think we can live with Paulson/McCoy until Heath gets back assuming Haley's willing to adjust to the talent he has.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think we have a problem with our TEs catching passes. I think we have a problem with the pass catching TEs blocking. I don't think Scheffler helps in that area.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Neither McCoy or Paulson have proven anything as pass catchers yet...not in REAL games. But yeah I agree, Scheffler is definitely NOT a Blacker. But he is a legit Pass catcher. But, I would rather have Fauria. If he some how is cut, I would jump all over him and dump either McCoy or even Paulson to get him. He was the Pac-12 BEST TE last year. Yes, WAY better then the overrated stiff from Stanford. But I still think we need a pass catching TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Neither McCoy or Paulson have proven anything as pass catchers yet...not in REAL games. But yeah I agree, Scheffler is definitely NOT a Blacker. But he is a legit Pass catcher. But, I would rather have Fauria. If he some how is cut, I would jump all over him and dump either McCoy or even Paulson to get him. He was the Pac-12 BEST TE last year. Yes, WAY better then the overrated stiff from Stanford. But I still think we need a pass catching TE.
    I think we're fine with Paulson as a pass catcher, but am in 100% agreement he can't block. I've watched him a lot in practice and I think he has a quick release off the LOS, maybe even better than Heath who's sometimes a little slow into his routes.

It really goes back to Haley. Will he be flexible and let Paulson do what he does well or try to make him play like Miller? Ben throws a lot of balls to Paulson in practice and looks fairly comfortable with him.

Backup

User Info Menu

I hope you're right on Paulson. But I was just stating, until he can actually do it in a game, when he is being truly defended, like he is NOT being in practice, Paulson still has to be refered as a ? As where Scheffler is more of a PROVEN Heath Miller already...at least as a Pass catcher he is...not as a Blocker.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Trading for Scheffler also includes a 2 mil salary. Not a bad number but he is also in the last year of his contract which could actually decrease the compensation. Given the situation with Spaeth, Miller, and now Bell...I would look into this if the compensation was 5th back. This Has to be done asap to get him here to learn. Waiting until final cuts to sign him would be too late. The Steelers might be forced now to PUP Miller & Spence, IR Spaeth, and possibly IR Bell with designation to return. Defining a return with no surgery for anyone suffering a Lisfranc injury is not defined. The Steelers also have to consider losing some promising young talent to 53 an injured vet long term. Carrying Paulson, Palmer, & Scheffler with Miller possibly returning after week 6 sure makes me feel a lot better about the TE position.

That will be the "hindsight" conversation we will be having after what the Steelers "actually" do for the start of the season. You get the feeling they may carry Miller & Spaeth on 53 along with Paulson & Palmer. Let the 3rd spot to either D Johnson or McCoy and Tuck away Overbay or Tuitupou on the PS. Then possibly lose a CB, LB, or WR with promise trying to sneak him on the PS. Spaeth was the answer until Miller returned from PUP or starting inactive on 53. Now they just don't have the luxury of sitting on Miller as an inactive on the 53 or trying to save Spaeth's season. They will really struggle again in the run game without a legit TE receiving threat. Add in the fact that Bell will be watching and only one new face (Howling) is in the backfield...They have some difficult decisions ahead of them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Paulson will be a force in the passing game...but he can't block and that is a serious problem.