Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: What’s this? Panic in preseason?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer SteelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,003

    What’s this? Panic in preseason?

    Ben Roethlisberger wasn't exactly quick on the draw Monday night in Maryland, culling from the classic Ben-being-Ben playbook and causing coast-to-coast coronaries for Steelers Nation.

    But he sure was quick to address the following annoying, amateurish question from the media after that preseason loss to the Redskins: Do Ben or his mates put much stock in outside forecasts or expectations of this team for 2013?

    “Nope.”

    Yeah, you're welcome.

    Hey, someone had to ask, right?

    I mean, with all of the doom and gloom one gathers from the Internet and talk shows over where these Steelers are headed this season — assuming they don't just forfeit all 16 games on discouragement alone — it felt entirely appropriate to ask if it's become a distraction.

    To Ben's credit, he clearly took the question in the intended spirit, smiled and continued: “Well, we're two games into the preseason and we've got two more games to go, and then the regular season starts. We've got some room for improvement, but that's what this is for.”

    Beautiful. Exactly. That's what preseason is for.

    And, yet, the premature panic over the Steelers is stretching beyond the general public. Among other forums local and national, the fear of how the team “looks” in the preseason made its way into an ESPN.com commentary this week entitled, “Can Steelers Avoid Mediocrity?”

    (The glaringly obvious answer to that headline is, of course, NO, given that they just failed to avoid mediocrity in 2012 by going 8-8 and, thus, meeting the official NFL definition of mediocrity. But that's quibbling.)

    Glancing around the Web and gleaning from the various Jaworskis and Hoges and Mayocks on the tube, you'll hear predictions as dire as 7-9, even 6-10.

    Sorry, but I'm not getting that.

    And by that, I don't mean not accepting that it couldn't happen. Anything could happen in the NFL, as we're seeing with the Bengals being favored in the AFC North, even a Super Bowl pick for some. The same Bengals who employ Andy Dalton, a league-average quarterback in a league where average no longer cuts it at quarterback.

    No, what I'm not getting is the thought process that's burying the Steelers before the first snap.

    Can't be the defense.

    Not after it was ranked No. 1 in fewest yards allowed, No. 6 in fewest points allowed and will have four personnel changes — Jarvis Jones for James Harrison, Cortez Allen for Keenan Lewis, Steve McLendon for Casey Hampton and this year's LaMarr Woodley for last year's LaMarr Woodley — that all promise to address the lack of sacks and takeaways.

    Can't be Todd Haley's playcalling, can it?

    Oh, please, tell me that the regional spawning ground of Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana and Joe Willie Namath isn't fussing over strategy that's aimed infinitely more at testing players than producing actual points.

    If so, Roethlisberger explained the ABCs by describing the first series, which was handoff after handoff to Le'Veon Bell, as “just wanting to establish the run and see what we've got.”

    When Haley fails to throw downfield in the real opener against the Titans, light the torches. In the interim, Roethlisberger was 5 of 6 for 66 yards Monday with a 26-yard strike to David Paulson. His shoulder's feeling “great,” he says, and the ball is moving with as much zip as anyone's seen in two years.

    Can't be the offensive line, can it?

    Well, sure, if all anyone had seen was this game. Maurkice Pouncey was way-out-of-character abysmal, and the tackles, Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, looked little better. But this is the franchise's youngest line since 1957, and the tackles switched sides since last season. It takes time, and there's a ton of pedigree there. The 49ers had the same problem with a gifted group this time last year, only to watch them bulldoze their way to the Super Bowl.

    Look, it isn't all sunshine and roses, either. There's “a lot of room for improvement,” as Brett Keisel was saying, and that needs to happen in a hurry.

    But if you'd have asked in June what would be the ideal No. 1 problem at this stage, I'd say the cohesion of the offensive line.

    Similarly, if you had asked what would be the ideal bright spot, I'd cite the rookies. Well, Jones is a beast, Bell is hurt now but has shown as much potential as anyone, Markus Wheaton has reached the point where Tomlin must promote him to first team, and Shamarko Thomas forced a fumble Monday.

    Think the front offices of the Ravens, Bengals and Browns have enjoyed watching all that?

    Nope.

    http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2ccB5VbkF

  2. #2
    I find the doom and gloom silly and premature. Call me optimistic but I believe this OL will gel, the RBs despite not having Bell will have a big year, and some young playmakers on D will really provide a much needed boost. I believe this Steeler team is an 11 win team. Guess I'm just insane.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I find the doom and gloom silly and premature. Call me optimistic but I believe this OL will gel, the RBs despite not having Bell will have a big year, and some young playmakers on D will really provide a much needed boost. I believe this Steeler team is an 11 win team. Guess I'm just insane.
    I agree with what you say. I think the OL is work in progress but will get better baring injuries. Dwyer will do fine at RB along with Stephens-Howiling.

    Still not sold we have playmakers on defense yet because I don't believe they will get the reps they should. I just hope Timmons gets more opportunities to go after the QB.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree with what you say. I think the OL is work in progress but will get better baring injuries. Dwyer will do fine at RB along with Stephens-Howiling.

    Still not sold we have playmakers on defense yet because I don't believe they will get the reps they should. I just hope Timmons gets more opportunities to go after the QB.
    We have a stockpile of playmakers on D. Just not on the DLine. Unfortunately the NT is the key to the 3-4 and I'm still not 100% confident we have the answer at NT in McClendon. I like the guy, just not sure I'm confident in him as the key to our entire defense.

  5. #5
    I think Jones will be the starter by midseason at the latest. I think Thomas will get some PT as a nickle, Golden will se the field due to injury that is bound to happen at the safety position, and I'm hoping for big things from Heyward.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Perhaps the reason there is panic in the preseason is because we're seeing the same crappy small ball offense that we saw most of last year's regular season.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Perhaps the reason there is panic in the preseason is because we're seeing the same crappy small ball offense that we saw most of last year's regular season.
    I loved the way our offense developed through the first 9 games of last year. It was after all the injuries that it started to look bad.

    I still say if this offensive line gels (looks like a big if right now) then our running game gets going and we have the best play action QB in the NFL playing for us right now that will lead to a successful offense. If the line doesn't gel and we have to depend on Ben doing it by himself play after play then we are looking at another 8-8 season.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Perhaps the reason there is panic in the preseason is because we're seeing the same crappy small ball offense that we saw most of last year's regular season.
    Did you not hear the quote the man who can do no wrong; Ben?
    "Roethlisberger explained the ABCs by describing the first series, which was handoff after handoff to Le'Veon Bell, as “just wanting to establish the run and see what we've got."

    He knows what time it is. The playcalling for THE ENTIRE GAME reflected similar priorities. Ben deep to Brown isnt gonna decide a roster spot. Runs and screens to runningback by Ben DOES.

    Where did the "small ball" go when the backup QBs who need the work came in? I saw AIR LANDRY. Gradkowski hitting Wheaton.

  9. #9
    Are you ever happy with the Steelers team Crash?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Are you ever happy with the Steelers team Crash?
    Shawn, do you remember Crash moaning and groaning about how Ben was being wasted under BC and that WE WOULD NEVER win a Superbowl with Cowher.....Same stuff as today. That same season Ben and Cowher won their 1st SB.

    Crash got called out repeatedly while trying to celebrate the win with the rest of us.
    Ahhh great memories.
    Here we go "WASTING" Ben again.
    Wouldn't mind a repeat of THAT glorious outcome.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •