Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert not so bad? Film Breakdown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert not so bad? Film Breakdown

Film Breakdown: Marcus Gilbert doing his job this preseason Pass Blocking Analysis

I keep hearing from people that Marcus Gilbert is slow footed and that is why he is continuously beat. Gilbert has had 40 pass blocking snaps and allowed four pressures which is definitely not up to par but it is what he has done between those pressures and how he was beat that have me encouraged.
    Gilbert has fast enough feet to handle 90 percent of the pass rushers in the league. He showed that against Kerrigan, whose only pressure going against Gilbert was the sack. Other than that play Gilbert did a nice job of sliding out under control with Kerrigan. I would like to see him keep his hands inside more during his slide as he exposed his chest a few times and was driven back.
    Why Gilbert was beat then?
    It was a product of poor footwork and play awareness. He had too narrow of a pass set focusing on getting deep on two of his pressures This is likely because he didn't trust his foot speed. Gilbert needs to focus on keeping his backside pointing at the QB and this means having the awareness to widen his pass set one five and seven step drop and narrow his steps on one and three step drops.
    Gilbert also begins to rise in his pass drops as the drive continues. When he plays low and keeps his hands inside he is hard to bull rush but when tired he will play higher and he still needs to keep his hands closer to his chest during his pass set.
    Gilbert has made his mistakes this preseason and it has hurt his pass blocking but he looks improved as a pass blocker. His biggest strides have been in his bases width and his pad level. In his last two years Gilbert was playing with too narrow of a base and was knocked down and pushed back easily. This year he has consistently played with a wider base and better knee bend. Gilbert's flaws are "coachable" they aren't effort related or quickness related as some have alluded to. Gilbert should only improve as the season continues he has only one full season under his belt and is still only 25 years old. More importantly Gilbert looks like he is willing to improve and the lazy attempts of a block he showed last year at times have yet to show up on film. [URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room/2013/8/21/4642564/steelers-marcus-gilbert-offensive-line-analysis-depth-chart[/URL]
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you click the link, it has pictures that demonstrate how and why he has been beaten four times so far this preseason. OK hes not great but from this account, he is much improved over last year. Maybe the sky isn't falling after all...
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Backup

User Info Menu

Dude seriously, you're making yourself to look like the complete Idiot. You sound just like the guy here who said we should have kept Starks cause he only allowed 3 sacks and had 3 penalties last year. That statement was indeed stupid, as is this stories logic. Theoretical Physics PROVES that one can hang a fully grown elephant from a Daisy..( Proven fact )...but use your
    EYES, use your common sense. I mean after the first what...10 plays, Gruden on TV said, " I have seen enough of Gilbert to last a lifetime...get him out of there before he gets Ben killed "

And you think you, and this Idiot know more then John Gruden ? As well as about 50 other NFL Commentators and experts who have called Gilbert a Joke!!

Please son, grow up.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Young man you are an unabridged dilhole aren't you.

Starter

User Info Menu

First off Starks was 10 times the tackle Gilbert is and should have been retained. He was our best and most consistent lineman last year.

All that being said this article means nothing to me. Gilbert looks to me like the same player I have watched since he was drafted. Hes big and slow with poor footwork and balance. Doing your job 8 out of 10 times dosent mean squat to me if you are getting your QB killed the other 2.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Dude seriously, you're making yourself to look like the complete Idiot. You sound just like the guy here who said we should have kept Starks cause he only allowed 3 sacks and had 3 penalties last year. That statement was indeed stupid, as is this stories logic. Theoretical Physics PROVES that one can hang a fully grown elephant from a Daisy..( Proven fact )...but use your
    EYES, use your common sense. I mean after the first what...10 plays, Gruden on TV said, " I have seen enough of Gilbert to last a lifetime...get him out of there before he gets Ben killed "
    And you think you, and this Idiot know more then John Gruden ? As well as about 50 other NFL Commentators and experts who have called Gilbert a Joke!!

Please son, grow up.
    No need to be insulting. I just posted an article I found. Comments related to the article are welcomed. Comments directed at me are childish. Ive seen enough of you to last a lifetime. Welcome to my Ignore list where you are the sole resident.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dude seriously, you're making yourself to look like the complete Idiot.

Please son, grow up.
    Adults are capable of discussing things without resorting to these types of insults. I suggest you take your own advice.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Backup

User Info Menu

I said he was making himself out to LOOK like an Idiot. Not that he IS an Idiot. Sorry if you felt otherwise. But search long enough and you will find someone to say Gilbery is not that bad....but anyone who has eyes, and who has watched Gilbert should know he is as terrible as they get.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

SedatedSteelerFan is anything but "sedated" ... dude is all over the place who probably has the Patriots as his "2nd favorite team"
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Please son, grow up.
    At what point did Gruden's point of view become fact?

More to the point, why is Gruden's point of view more valid than the guy that drafted him & plays him.

Keyboard warriors....gotta love em.

Actually, no you don't. If you are who everyone says you are, don't suppose you'll be here much longer.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S