Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jarvis vs. Jason

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Rookie Jones to make first start for Steelers against Bengals

September 11, 2013
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jarvis Jones, shown here fighting through a block during training camp, will make his first career start Monday night in Cincinnati.

The Steelers plan to increase the number of snaps outside linebacker Jarvis Jones plays against the Cincinnati Bengals, and it appears that will happen in a big way.

Jones, the team's No. 1 draft choice, said he is running with the first-team defense in practice and plans to stay there for Monday night's nationally televised game.

"That's the way it is right now," Jones said after today's practice. "As long as I continue to keep doing what I'm doing, I hope it stays like that."

Jason Worilds started the season opener against the Tennessee Titans and was rotated every third series with Jones at right outside linebacker. On the second play of his first series, Jones made a jarring tackle on running back Chris Johnson, dropping him for a 2-yard loss.

After that, he played even more in the second half. Worilds played 47 snaps against the Titans, Jones 26. The Steelers wanted to shrink that disparity this week.

"It's my dream, it's something I definitely want to do is start and be in that rotation and fight with my guys," Jones said. "I just want to continue to strive for the best and keep getting better.

"Any role that I can contribute to helping my team win, whether it's starting or co-starting or coming off the bench, I'm going to accept it and play to the best of my ability. At the end of the day, I can't control anything, as far as the coach's decision. The only thing I can do is put my work out there, put my resume out there."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rookie-jones-to-make-first-start-for-steelers-against-bengals-702839/#ixzz2ec25uy9i[/URL]
    in my best Lil Jon voice.... "YEA-AH!!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Good thing we Didnt need any offensive guys to help out this team when we drafted worldis to sit behind our 2 great linebackers

same goes for hood and heyward.

We really could have regretted those decisions

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Good thing we Didnt need any offensive guys to help out this team when we drafted worldis to sit behind our 2 great linebackers

We coulda drafted 3 Decastro's with those picks. And we'd be down 3 more guys

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    (ahem... 3 weeks later)... we basically agree, but, in addition to the fact that he had a hammy injury, I contend that football speed isn't necessarily the same... some of it is instinct and getting a good jump, some is being able to run the same speed in equipment... i recall Marcus Allen was mid-4.6's in the 40... that's crawling for a RB... he did alright... on the flip side, have you ever seen a 4.4 guy who just looks slow? happens a lot with WR's who can't get open. I don't know if it's a matter of reacting instead of thinking your way through the game... it's weird.
    Watch Carl Lewis run. Dude did not start fast (for a world class sprinter) he got faster towards the end of the 100 meters. Some receivers are like that. Matt Jones never seemed as fast as he timed (I was one who wanted us to take him). Marcus Allen had a "burst" hit the hole and got to his top speed instantly but others are faster over 40 yards. Jarvis Jones looks like he has an explosive "burst" like that but his top speed over 40 yards may be modest. I heard (not confirmed) that Lloyds 40 speed was not that great, but he sure had a burst that puts faster players to shame.

Troy is the extreme case of this. Very fast AND has a freakish burst. VERY FAST, drafted a sub 4.4. But he seems freaky fast because he gets to his top gear WAY before anybody else can making everybody look slow. Another factor in Troy's perceived speed is his recognition lets him get a jump on the play. That is how he can be deep in coverage and make a play in the backfield in a freakish blur. What we miss is that he starts running FULL SPEED at the LOS before the ball is snapped. EVERYONE in the game has just STARTED moving nobody has reached any speed and he is FLYING at the ballcarrier at what appears to be superhuman velocity. The fact that his speed is human is shown when he is chasing a receiver who has reached his top speed. Often the top speed of Troy and a fast receiver is similar and Troy cannot close the gap.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

​We coulda been a contender.

Legend

User Info Menu

We drafted Mendenhall in the first... out first season
    We drafted DD in the first... out first season
    We drafted Bell in the 2nd... out til next month
    We drafted Adams and Gilbert early... both are subpar

3 more offensive players would mean 3 more disappointments and I bet the board would scream about wasted picks and old heads on D.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was anti-Jones pre-draft, glad I have been wrong so far! This team definitely needs some spark and JJ seems to have that innate ability to make big plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones expects to start

September 12, 2013
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers want to increase the number of snaps outside linebacker Jarvis Jones plays against the Cincinnati Bengals. Especially after another stunning play he made on just his second NFL snap.

It appears that will happen in a big way.

Jones, the team's No. 1 draft choice, said he is running with the first-team defense in practice and plans to stay there for a nationally televised game Monday night on ESPN and WTAE.

"That's the way it is right now," Jones said after practice Wednesday. "As long as I continue to keep doing what I'm doing, I hope it stays like that."

Jason Worilds started the season opener against the Tennessee Titans and was rotated every third series with Jones at right outside linebacker. On the second play of his first series, Jones made a jarring tackle on running back Chris Johnson, dropping him for a 2-yard loss.

After that, he played more in the second half. Worilds played 47 snaps against the Titans, Jones 26. .

"It's my dream, it's something I definitely want to do is start and be in that rotation and fight with my guys," Jones said. "I just want to continue to strive for the best and keep getting better."

The Steelers haven't had a defensive rookie open the season as a starter since linebacker Kendrell Bell in 2001. Other defensive players have eventually become starters in their rookie season, such as nose tackle Casey Hampton, who became a starter in the sixth game of the 2001 season. The most recent No. 1 pick to start an opener was cornerback Chad Scott in 1997.

"Any role that I can contribute to helping my team win, whether it's starting or co-starting or coming off the bench, I'm going to accept it and play to the best of my ability," Jones said.

"At the end of the day, I can't control anything, as far as the coach's decision. The only thing I can do is put my work out there, put my resume out there."

Next

• Game: Steelers (0-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (0-1),.
    • When: 8:30 p.m. Monday.
    • TV: ESPN, WTAE.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/jones-expects-to-start-703003/#ixzz2eeJDtitC[/URL]