Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Wanna Discuss the Defense?

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone Wanna Discuss the Defense?

Everyone seems frustrated with the OLine (and rightfully so) but how about the DLine? We gave up 5.2 yards per rushing attempt and didn't generate much of a push or pass rush. We also made Rex Grossman look like Tom Brady.

As bad as the OLine played, the DLine may have been just as bad if not worse last night. That seems more concerning to me. At least we have Ben who has the ability to overcome just about any of our offensive problems. If we can't get pressure, stop the run, and force some turnovers, we're gonna be in for a long season. We did get 4 TOs which was nice.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

William Gay... Enough said
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I didn't see the game yet but was going to ask how the DL played. How were Heyward and Hood? How about the week one star Woods?

Legend

User Info Menu

I though McClendon rushed himself right out of the way a couple of times and left the middle wide open for the QB to scramble.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Neither the offense or defense looked good last night. Jones had moments but also struggled at times. Same with Worilds, however I think he is the Game 1 starter.

The problem on defense was the same as we have seen all to often recently---not enough pressure on the QB and not enough take aways or "splash plays" at the right time.

Cousins was clearly following the script that causes us so many problems--quick short passes mixed in with the run.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Everyone seems frustrated with the OLine (and rightfully so) but how about the DLine? We gave up 5.2 yards per rushing attempt and didn't generate much of a push or pass rush. We also made Rex Grossman look like Tom Brady.

As bad as the OLine played, the DLine may have been just as bad if not worse last night. That seems more concerning to me. At least we have Ben who has the ability to overcome just about any of our offensive problems. If we can't get pressure, stop the run, and force some turnovers, we're gonna be in for a long season. We did get 4 TOs which was nice.
    I'm not going to worry too much about anything in the preseason, but to me, the line and our run defense are no concern at all. We've been pretty good up front against the run with this same cast of characters and I thought we weren't all that bad last night. I didn't look at the rushing stats, but I'm willing to bet that if you take out the yards by Pat White in their read-option game (against our 2's and 3's) and that long TD run, then that 5.2 YPC would go well south of 4.0. Regardless, it hasn't been an issue for us in a long time, so I'm not going to start worrying now.

My concern with the defense is the ability to generate pressure and (consequently) force some turnovers. Jarvis Jones is starting to look like he's going to impact this defense in both of those areas, as does Shamarko Thomas (he's like a heat-seeking missle). Woodley got a sack and some pressure last night in limited action, so that's a good sign that the worm may be turning (back) there. If Cortez Allen is the guy we all think he is and Troy can remain healthy, then I believe we'll see a return to being a true number 1 defense.

Now when it comes to something that has been a problem, then I guess the preseason can get me a little worried. The obvious example is our (truly) offensive line. Whether it's been injuries, penalties, or piss-poor play, these guys have been a sore spot on the team for the past 4 or 5 years. They sucked so bad last night that I think we all have an uneasy feeling in our stomachs right now. It doesn't matter how good our defense is or our skill players are...if our OL continues to struggle, we will not go very far. I just hope it doesn't wind-up costing any lost playing time for Ben.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 08-20-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

I was quite happy with the defense last night. If you're looking at stats from a preseason game, then you're looking at the wrong things.

I wanted to see if Troy P. looked like Troy P. He did.

I wanted to see if Jarvis would improve on last week. He did.

I wanted to see if Woodley looked quick and in shape. He did.

I wanted to see if Shamarko flashed after not showing much last week. He did.

I know it feels good to complain after a loss but I'm pretty excited about the defense this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was happy with Troy but I'm always worried that he'll be out with an injury once again. If anyone is waiting for Gay to turn into a player that makes a positive impact to the team then you have a long wait. Was that Clark that got burned for the td ? Ike too I believe was out of position or couldn't keep up with the young receivers. Jarvis did nice and Woodley looked like he is going to be an improvement this year. No one else really stood out to me or made me beleive they were an improvement or could be an improvement. Hood and Heyward must be bust because by now, number one picks should be playing better than these two have.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm fine with Hayward. Lebeau loves Kiesel, and Hayward's behind him. I do hope that there's a good rotation this year with the D-Line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not too worried about the Defense. The Steelers took a few necessary steps in redefining the Defense in the offseason & moving away from a run-stopping, safe defense to move towards a more explosive, big play defense. Gone are Hampton & Lewis. In are McLendon, Cortez & to a degree Jarvis Jones. Chadman expects the Steelers will have more trouble stopping the run (Hampton is/was much better than McLendon for that) but should get an upgrade in pass rush through McLendon & spot duty work for Jones.

Lewis, for all the love shown him in here, was an Ike Taylor clone in waiting- solid, but not 'big plays'. The NFL today needs big plays- sacks & turnovers- otherwise these strong passing teams will just keep taking chances on you. So Allen, who has shown some ability to take the ball away, and Shamarko, who looks like he can not only cover but also lay out a hit to create turnovers, might give the opposing QB's some pause when deciding to go pass-happy.

In the end, Chadman expects our D to play different this year- probably giving a more exciting look, but not being as 'safe' as in the past few years.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT