Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: two things I saw last night...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I was an Arians fan/defender and I was routinely bashed on here for it.
    Oops.
    My bad then.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Oops.
    My bad then.
    No worries... lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    remember, AB had 1k yds receiving and 1k yds in returns. He didn't have the number of td's that Wallace had but he showed so much effort in ALL aspects of the game that you have to think that AB's ceiling would be hit and maintained.
    1000 yards returning isnt all that when your the primary punt and kick off returner, we can get away with paying a returner to accomplish that a fraction of the cost. and 1000 yards receiving is , well pretty ordinary.

like i said, overpaid for his stats up to that point

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Are you talking about comparable to Brown's numbers? A fraction of what he actually got? It was said at the time that Wallace was offered MORE than Brown got and he wanted to test the market.

There is not basis whatsoever to assume Wallace would have signed regardless the offer because he wanted to see what his value was.

And if he is honest in saying he was offered more by the vikings, the point is entirely moot. Miami is more appealing to him PERIOD.

He is a southerner to begin with. Based on his playing for LESS in Miami he likely just likes warm weather period. Maybe the beaches.

The Steelers cannot pay him with a guaranteed warm winter on the beach contract.

We tried to sign him so how can we blame the team? We SETTLED on Brown for less.

Regardless of how much less we offered than the Fins based on his actions and not going with the Vikes it was not possible for us to sign him.

You wanna blame someone for Wallace not being a Steeler BLAME HIM. I dont it is his life he needs to do what makes him happy.

As for Brown and his far lesser deal. Had we not signed him (when it was clear we had no chance at Wallace) we would have NO VETERAN receiver under contract. They would ALL have great leverage meaning we would HAVE to overpay somebody. Yes, it was a risk, but there was a risk of having nobody too. Unlike Wallace Brown has a third the guaranteed money. We can cut him with far less of an impact if the gamble fails.

Bottom like it WAS NEVER choosing Brown over Wallace, we settled on Brown at far less cost.
    no i wont blame wallace. i blame the FO for letting it get to that point and by resigning vets that were at the end of their rope

question? what if the FO went to wallace 2 years before he became a free agent and payed him based on his stats (not projected like in ABs case)

$40-45M right now or play a season at 550K and then the 2.7 tendered offered.

what do you think he chooses?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    no i wont blame wallace. i blame the FO for letting it get to that point and by resigning vets that were at the end of their rope

question? what if the FO went to wallace 2 years before he became a free agent and payed him based on his stats (not projected like in ABs case)

The milk's gone bad, the bee's have gone south... it's over.

Legend

User Info Menu

1000 yards returning isnt all that when your the primary punt and kick off returner, we can get away with paying a returner to accomplish that a fraction of the cost. and 1000 yards receiving is , well pretty ordinary.

Isn't his jersey in Canton? I'm pretty sure there is a reason for that...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yea no biggie. just got him team MVP in 2011 and a pro bowl birth. ORDINARY. We had so much success before and after AB that those return yards are ORDINARY in comparison. He was only like 80 yards behind wallace in receiving last year too. but that's ORDINARY.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

well, name me the last player that they went to 2 years before his contract ended and extended it. Ben may have done that, but i can't think of anyone they've ever done that with before.

Legend

User Info Menu

We TRIED to sign him before he became a free agent as we typically do.
    If you go back THAT FAR you are talking about after we lost the SB.

Who are you gonna let from that roster to make room for Wallace's deal?

Bear in mind guys like Harrison, Woodley, Troy, Ike, had great seasons. We had zero LBer, corner (Lewis and Allen have shown nothing), or safety depth. We keep Wallace two more seasons as WORST CASE SCENARIO.

It is EASY with hindsight to make a call now. At THAT TIME? Not so easy.

Just how valuable is Wallace anyway? He has YET to contribute to a championship.

The only reason Brown got his is that we had NOBODY locked up when Wallace REFUSED to take more money.

Had Wallace signed Brown would be gone
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-22-2013 at 04:24 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    well, name me the last player that they went to 2 years before his contract ended and extended it. Ben may have done that, but i can't think of anyone they've ever done that with before.

so why start with AB?