Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 100

Thread: two things I saw last night...

  1. #31
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,460
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    who from last years 1st and 2nd all pro teams are on there from reputation and hype?
    Tom Brady and Peyton Manning over Arron Rodgers
    Tony Gonzales over Heath Miller who's one of the only complete TEs that put up good stats

    Cant remember who else was on the team.

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    who from last years 1st and 2nd all pro teams are on there from reputation and hype?
    Vonta Leach
    Jason Witten
    Logan Mankins
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Julius Peppers
    Champ Bailey

    IMO none of these players deserved to make the All Pro team last year.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,336
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Tom Brady and Peyton Manning over Arron Rodgers
    Tony Gonzales over Heath Miller who's one of the only complete TEs that put up good stats

    Cant remember who else was on the team.
    manning was 1st team, rodgers was 2nd

    overall heath is a better TE but the better the stats you have the better chances making the all pro team.

  4. #34
    witten?

    no way. He deserved it. Didn't have like 113 catches?

  5. #35
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,336
    yeah, he had a great year.

    but with gronk and graham, you can make a case. i would have left gonzo off

  6. #36
    you're probably right.

    at that point it does get pretty subjective.

    I knew witten was going to be a beast coming out of UT. He was very under utilized in knoxville.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    who from last years 1st and 2nd all pro teams are on there from reputation and hype?
    I know one guy is overhyped. PFF:

    Maurkice Pouncey, C, Pittsburgh Steelers


    PFF Rating: +1.8


    PFF Conference Ranking: 12th


    Analysis: Steelers fans will be up in arms about this (as they always are) and accuse us of hating on the younger Pouncey. Nothing could be further from the case. It’s just when you compare Pouncey to his peers there’s absolutely no way any player with a sane mind could pick him over some of the excellent centers in the AFC. That doesn’t mean Pouncey is a bad player, but just because we’re told he should be a once in a generation player doesn’t make it so. You only need to watch him to see how little impact he has on games, while players like Chris Myers are creating the kind of consistent running lanes that sees your team finish with two guys close to or above the 1,000 yard rushing mark.


    Key Fact: Pouncey isn’t even the best Pouncey in our eyes. His grade is inferior to that of his twin brother Mike Pouncey (+2.9).




    Before we dismiss the above because it is not popular, think for a moment.
    How is his impact on the game manifest?
    Not as a rookie when he DID make noticable plays, the last two seasons?

    Can we run behind him with ANY sort of success? Do YOU have confidence in those runs?

    Did we see him getting out in front of people RECENTLY as you SAW him as a rookie?

    If YOU NEVER WATCHED THIS TEAM and knew nothing of his rep, would you say at any point last year "wow that guy is a great blocker"? As bad as he can be I DID notice Willie Colon at times when we ran well dominate people. I have not had that feeling from Pouncey since he was a rookie.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-21-2013 at 08:55 PM.

  8. #38
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I know one guy is overhyped. PFF:

    Maurkice Pouncey, C, Pittsburgh Steelers


    PFF Rating: +1.8


    PFF Conference Ranking: 12th


    Analysis: Steelers fans will be up in arms about this (as they always are) and accuse us of hating on the younger Pouncey. Nothing could be further from the case. Itís just when you compare Pouncey to his peers thereís absolutely no way any player with a sane mind could pick him over some of the excellent centers in the AFC. That doesnít mean Pouncey is a bad player, but just because weíre told he should be a once in a generation player doesnít make it so. You only need to watch him to see how little impact he has on games, while players like Chris Myers are creating the kind of consistent running lanes that sees your team finish with two guys close to or above the 1,000 yard rushing mark.


    Key Fact: Pouncey isnít even the best Pouncey in our eyes. His grade is inferior to that of his twin brother Mike Pouncey (+2.9).




    Before we dismiss the above because it is not popular, think for a moment.
    How is his impact on the game manifest?
    Not as a rookie when he DID make noticable plays, the last two seasons?

    Can we run behind him with ANY sort of success? Do YOU have confidence in those runs?

    Did we see him getting out in front of people RECENTLY as you SAW him as a rookie?

    If YOU NEVER WATCHED THIS TEAM and knew nothing of his rep, would you say at any point last year "wow that guy is a great blocker"? As bad as he can be I DID notice Willie Colon at times when we ran well dominate people. I have not had that feeling from Pouncey since he was a rookie.
    I wouldn't say he's dominant, but he is quick. He's often a step and a half off the ball before anyone else moves. I know he's got a first mover's advantage because he's snapping, but he's extra quick off the ball. And he does do a good job of getting to blocks on the second level. His achilles heel is handling bigger DT/NTs. He doesn't have the strength that guys like Webster and Dawson did. But I do think he's got Dawson's quickness.

    Also he plays in a division with some really big and athletic DTs. I think the AFCN is probably one of the tougher divisions for a C. There's some big boys he sees regularly.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wouldn't say he's dominant, but he is quick. He's often a step and a half off the ball before anyone else moves. I know he's got a first mover's advantage because he's snapping, but he's extra quick off the ball. And he does do a good job of getting to blocks on the second level. His achilles heel is handling bigger DT/NTs. He doesn't have the strength that guys like Webster and Dawson did. But I do think he's got Dawson's quickness.

    Also he plays in a division with some really big and athletic DTs. I think the AFCN is probably one of the tougher divisions for a C. There's some big boys he sees regularly.
    Flippy, you are describing his "skills" which I agree with. He has talent.
    Did he PLAY like a probowler the last two seasons?

    For example he IS quick off the ball. But He is not creating a lane with that quickness what does it matter.
    You mention his "getting to the second level". We SAW THAT in his rookie season alot, which built his rep. He has this ability that others do not have.
    How much did you see that LAST SEASON?

    In the few games we ran well, I saw Colon creating HUGE lanes. Pouncey was OK but nothing special. When Colon got hurt our interior run game was DONE.

    I do agree that our Division is tough for centers, but if you are "the best" elite opposition will not "own" you all the time.

    I am sorry but you cannot have a horrid interior run game and "deserve" post season awards as a stinkin center.

  10. #40
    Pouncey is resting on the laurels established during his rookie year. He hasn't improved and is far from dominant. Factor in his ridiculous support of Hernandez and you have a guy I'm willing to let walk when his deal is up if he doesn't improve.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •