Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: two things I saw last night...

  1. #61
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    There is NO COMPARISON between what Brown got and what Wallace signed for.
    The flaw in the thinking is people look at TOTAL numbers not per season amounts.
    Browns contract is for 43 mil while Wallace is getting 60 mil. But the gap is far greater than it looks.

    Brown has a 6-year deal, while Wallace has a 5 year deal.

    Annually we are talking 12 mil versus 7 mil.

    Wallace's annual salary of 12 mil is "ELITE" only Megatron and Fitz make more "annually".

    Browns 7 mil deal annually is a very average new contract for a starting receiver. Far from a "boatload" by NFL receiver standards.
    a extentsion for 7M up at that point of his career and his stats were a much greater risk. look at his stats up to that point. if wallace was offered something comparable to his numbers, he would jumped at the deal as well

  2. #62
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,109
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    a extentsion for 7M up at that point of his career and his stats were a much greater risk. look at his stats up to that point. if wallace was offered something comparable to his numbers, he would jumped at the deal as well
    Wallace wasn't jumping on anything but the next plane headed for warm weather.

    The real reason Wallace didn't sign was Bruce Arians getting fired. While fans hate the guy our WR's LOVED him. Arians put WR's in the best position to succeed in our O and we canned him.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Thank you!! No matter what the haters will say, Wallace WAS Elite for us. And a much better WR then Brown. But he's gone. Deal with it and move on.
    Wallace was elite for us during a concentrated period of time. In 2010 he was elite...no question. In 2011 he was off to an elite start, no question. During the second half of 2011 he was not elite, although he was able to contribute in that he took a lot of attention off of the rest of the offense. Not elite, but contribution went beyond the numbers.

    In 2012 he was far worse than his numbers, and well below elite. His 836 yards and 8 TDs do not show the lack of effort that he showed. Those numbers don't explain that he would only go after the ball if he was all alone and it hit him in the hands. They do not show the comments made to the media that he loses focus during games. Worst of all, it does not show the effect on the rest of the team when their star receiver does not seem to care about doing his part to help them all succeed.

    So we are caught in a bit of a mirage here. Was Mike Wallace elite for us? Yes. When he left did we lose an elite player? No. Not only was he not an elite player in 2012, his negatives far outweighed his positives.

  4. #64
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,697
    reports out of camp last year is that Brown essentially signed the contract they offered Wallace..
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  5. #65
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    reports out of camp last year is that Brown essentially signed the contract they offered Wallace..
    if true, thats crazy comparing their stats to that point

  6. #66
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    if true, thats crazy comparing their stats to that point
    remember, AB had 1k yds receiving and 1k yds in returns. He didn't have the number of td's that Wallace had but he showed so much effort in ALL aspects of the game that you have to think that AB's ceiling would be hit and maintained.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Wallace was elite for us during a concentrated period of time. In 2010 he was elite...no question. In 2011 he was off to an elite start, no question. During the second half of 2011 he was not elite, although he was able to contribute in that he took a lot of attention off of the rest of the offense. Not elite, but contribution went beyond the numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    The real reason Wallace didn't sign was Bruce Arians getting fired. While fans hate the guy our WR's LOVED him. Arians put WR's in the best position to succeed in our O and we canned him.
    I miss Arians... actually expected Mike to go to AZ when BA took the job.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    a extentsion for 7M up at that point of his career and his stats were a much greater risk. look at his stats up to that point. if wallace was offered something comparable to his numbers, he would jumped at the deal as well
    Are you talking about comparable to Brown's numbers? A fraction of what he actually got? It was said at the time that Wallace was offered MORE than Brown got and he wanted to test the market.

    There is not basis whatsoever to assume Wallace would have signed regardless the offer because he wanted to see what his value was.

    And if he is honest in saying he was offered more by the vikings, the point is entirely moot. Miami is more appealing to him PERIOD.

    He is a southerner to begin with. Based on his playing for LESS in Miami he likely just likes warm weather period. Maybe the beaches.

    The Steelers cannot pay him with a guaranteed warm winter on the beach contract.

    We tried to sign him so how can we blame the team? We SETTLED on Brown for less.

    Regardless of how much less we offered than the Fins based on his actions and not going with the Vikes it was not possible for us to sign him.

    You wanna blame someone for Wallace not being a Steeler BLAME HIM. I dont it is his life he needs to do what makes him happy.

    As for Brown and his far lesser deal. Had we not signed him (when it was clear we had no chance at Wallace) we would have NO VETERAN receiver under contract. They would ALL have great leverage meaning we would HAVE to overpay somebody. Yes, it was a risk, but there was a risk of having nobody too. Unlike Wallace Brown has a third the guaranteed money. We can cut him with far less of an impact if the gamble fails.

    Bottom like it WAS NEVER choosing Brown over Wallace, we settled on Brown at far less cost.

  9. #69
    Wallace wasn't jumping on anything but the next plane headed for warm weather.
    The real reason Wallace didn't sign was Bruce Arians getting fired. While fans hate the guy our WR's LOVED him. Arians put WR's in the best position to succeed in our O and we canned him.
    Come on Dizz these two statements are by definition MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.
    You know the first statement is truth.

    Dont let the sudden man crush on the very coach you wanted fired cloud your usually excellent logic.

  10. #70
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Come on Dizz these two statements are by definition MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.
    You know the first statement is truth.

    Dont let the sudden man crush on the very coach you wanted fired cloud your usually excellent logic.
    I was an Arians fan/defender and I was routinely bashed on here for it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •