Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: two things I saw last night...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Well he was offered 50M for 5 years (although we do t know the breakdown)

What about keep negotiating instead of making an offer to another WR who was 2 years away from UFA
    Honestly, i think Brown was a much better extension then Wallace. He fights for the ball and is a better over all receiver. I think we may have the most dangerous group of receivers in the league right now. They are so quick and dangerous. Reports last year (the reports that had everyone up in arms) was that Wallace wanted Fitz type cash. We weren't going to go there. If Wallace's agent blew off our offer, I'm sure we backed off. I don't think we STOPPED negotiating though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Pouncey is a terrific C who isn't playing well right now. Talk about reactive.
    I've been calling Pouncey out since his 2nd year. I tried to give him the benefit of doubt because of nagging ankle injuries that year and maybe the sophomore slump. Then last year he played even worse. Now, with his effort this pre-season, he is rapidly approaching the "Mahan Line". I just don't understand how someone can play so well his rookie season and then fall off so rapidly. I think PFF has it right.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Honestly, i think Brown was a much better extension then Wallace. He fights for the ball and is a better over all receiver. I think we may have the most dangerous group of receivers in the league right now. They are so quick and dangerous. Reports last year (the reports that had everyone up in arms) was that Wallace wanted Fitz type cash. We weren't going to go there. If Wallace's agent blew off our offer, I'm sure we backed off. I don't think we STOPPED negotiating though.

he didnt sign for fitz typr money. what he likey wanted was more guaranteed money. understandable cause anyone could be cut late in the contract at a bargain of a salary cap hit.
    negotiations ended once they gave a boatload of money to brown. i like AB, but he has a way to go to even match wally's stats. imagine this board's reaction if it was wallace who fumbled 2 in the 4th quarter where we had leads and eventually lost.

as far as your assessment of the wideouts. it sounds like a lot of predictions of last years group. 'top 5 in the league' top 10 in the league'
    in reality they werent even close. the league is filled with big, fast, physical receivers (and with today's rules) give them a superior advantage. we dont have even one of those types.

look to dallas, atlanta, denver for dangerous WR corps. i'm hoping our can reach top 15

Legend

User Info Menu

he didnt sign for fitz typr money. what he likey wanted was more guaranteed money. understandable cause anyone could be cut late in the contract at a bargain of a salary cap hit.
    negotiations ended once they gave a boatload of money to brown. i like AB, but he has a way to go to even match wally's stats. imagine this board's reaction if it was wallace who fumbled 2 in the 4th quarter where we had leads and eventually lost.

as far as your assessment of the wideouts. it sounds like a lot of predictions of last years group. 'top 5 in the league' top 10 in the league'
    in reality they werent even close. the league is filled with big, fast, physical receivers (and with today's rules) give them a superior advantage. we dont have even one of those types.

look to dallas, atlanta, denver for dangerous WR corps. i'm hoping our can reach top 15
    Big WRs are tough matchups, but there's still some talented small/quick WRs that create just as many problems. Even with all the giants at WR, guys like Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, TY Hilton, etc are really tough to cover.

I still see Brown's potential being higher than Steve Smith. Manny reminds me of Marvin Harrison. And Wheaton has looked like a lightning fast version of Hines Ward. Who knows if these guys will live up to the full potential?

On another note, I think Wally could have been as productive as Jerry Rice if he had better hands. Wally did start off his career with some crazy numbers. But at the end of the day, I think it was his attitude that kept him out of Pittsburgh. Not sure if it was right or wrong, but it is what it is at this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

cruz is 6'0 205 LBs.

bigger then any guys we're relying on to make an impact. my concern with them is against big physical corners and being able to get off the line of scrimmage

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I've been calling Pouncey out since his 2nd year. I tried to give him the benefit of doubt because of nagging ankle injuries that year and maybe the sophomore slump. Then last year he played even worse. Now, with his effort this pre-season, he is rapidly approaching the "Mahan Line". I just don't understand how someone can play so well his rookie season and then fall off so rapidly. I think PFF has it right.
    I have been wondering if Pouncey was maybe on PEDs coming out of college to get that big money and now laid off it because it was so risky. He has looked less impressive every year and looks kind of smallish when standing in a crowd. And look at his two recommendations that the Steelers drafted: Gilbert and Rainey... Meh.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We know that now, but reports last summer were that was what he wanted.
    I don't care about stats. I care about effort. Wallace didn't show effort on a lot of plays. How many passes did Wallace let fall that if he fought for he would have caught. Remember all those reactions on the board when Wallace got outplayed by a slower smaller corner?

Legend

User Info Menu

negotiations ended once they gave a boatload of money to brown
    There is NO COMPARISON between what Brown got and what Wallace signed for.
    The flaw in the thinking is people look at TOTAL numbers not per season amounts.
    Browns contract is for 43 mil while Wallace is getting 60 mil. But the gap is far greater than it looks.

Brown has a 6-year deal, while Wallace has a 5 year deal.

Annually we are talking 12 mil versus 7 mil.

Wallace's annual salary of 12 mil is "ELITE" only Megatron and Fitz make more "annually".

Browns 7 mil deal annually is a very average new contract for a starting receiver. Far from a "boatload" by NFL receiver standards.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace is gone... move on people.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Wallace is gone... move on people.

Thank you!! No matter what the haters will say, Wallace WAS Elite for us. And a much better WR then Brown. But he's gone. Deal with it and move on.