Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rays of Hope

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I remember when Starks was considered our weak link. Now about 2/3 of us want him back. Ugh.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was at the "game" last night and here are a couple of things I noticed. Please note that all of this was from watching live without much in the way of replay as the 'Skins folks only show good Redskins plays.

1.) The 'Skins looked pretty good. There were times when it looked like they were really going gang-busters trying to win the game and the Steelers looked like they were "trying out new things".

2.) Ryan Kerrigan just dominated from the left outside linebacker spot. He took his blocker into the backfield everytime he rushed. He really looks like a good player for Washington. It didnt' matter if was matched up on tight end or or Gilbert.

3.) When the Steelers ran right and left they actually looked pretty good. The pile was moving in the right direction and the tackles (Gilbert included here) seemed to be able to move the pile. When they tried to run up the middle, it was terrible. Coffield just dominated Pouncey and the middle of the line. It wasn't close. It seemed like everytime they ran up the gut there was a Redskins player, or two in the backfield.

4.) Dwyer ran like a man possessed for 3-4 runs, then would try to dance his way around a corner or a safety. I kept wanting to yell at him "you're a big SOB, lower your shoulder and deliver the blow!".

5.) As soon as I praised Dwyer for his effort he fumbled the football.

6.) Sanders looked really good, he really displayed excellent hands last night. If he stays healthy and puts up big numbers this year, he will be offered a boat load by someone next year.

7.) A number of our really young guys looked alright last night. Wheaton, Thomas, both looked sharp.

8.) If I were the coach, and this is why no one pays me money for my football knowledge, I wouldn't have tried to kick the field goals. The long snapper and kicker are both the same from last year, we know those guys are alright, I would have went for it on 4th and 5 or less in red zone. Also, I would have told the starting O-linemen that they have to stay in the game until they could go a whole series without a penalty. Some of those penalties last night were just garbage, many times, the penalty seemed to have nothing to do with the play.

9.) I'm a big fan of Big Ben. But I was kind of annoyed when I saw on a replay that it looked like he was smiling after her threw that pick-six. I know it's a pre-season game but come on....you screwed up! I'll give Gilbert a little bit of credit for at least trying to run after the guy on that play. No one else seemed to.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

maybe Ben was smiling because the same thing happened in practice with Jarvis...

he probably hates that play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer did look decent against a tired Redskin defense, and he did fumble
    Just saying

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    maybe Ben was smiling because the same thing happened in practice with Jarvis...

he probably hates that play.
    It can only work if the tackle can keep the rush end or OLB from getting his hands in the passing lane or Ben needs to adjust his footwork to give himself a passing lane. Personally, I've seen enough of that play in the past 2-3 years to say that it isn't a play that the Steelers should run. I'd scrap it and look for something else to replace it.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Possibly if Gilbert wasn't in his usual backpeddling on rollerskates technique he might have punched the crap out of Carrigan instead of letting him get his hands up

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    It can only work if the tackle can keep the rush end or OLB from getting his hands in the passing lane or Ben needs to adjust his footwork to give himself a passing lane. Personally, I've seen enough of that play in the past 2-3 years to say that it isn't a play that the Steelers should run. I'd scrap it and look for something else to replace it.

Pappy
    didn't we try it last week with Dwyer and Ben had to side arm it? This side to side, short offense is too easy to defend IMO. They showed the D one time and they had 9 guys in the box... no respect or fear for a play down field.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thanks for talking me down Flippy. Last night was hard to watch, even though it is pre-season. Here is to hoping that Bell ihas had some bad luck and isnt injury prone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm very disappointed in Gilbert like most here. I'm also disappointed in the fact that Colbert and Tomlin initially thought Gilbert was our future LT. HOW?!?! What would lead them to believe that Gilbert could easily replace Starks. It's just flat out stupid.. Like I said the past 2 years in several of my posts, Starks saved Tomlin @$$. Now, Starks isn't around to do the same for a 3rd year in a row. Our o-line would be much better with Adams at RT and Starks at LT. Then, you'd have solid depth with Gilbert and Beachum.

As far a Beachum goes, you HAVE to think that he will be given the opportunity to get the starting role over Gilbert. I like how Gruden said that he'd sit Gilbert because he's "seen enough".

plus 1!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben undaunted

The first-team offense has yet to account for a touchdown in two preseason games, but quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not concerned about the lackluster performances.

"Our goal the first two games, no game plan, we said let's feature the back and establish an identity and run the ball," Roethlisberger said. "That's why I'm not putting too much stock into what's happening out there. There are a lot of plays in the passing game we're not taking advantage of because we're trying to run the ball."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-injuries-force-dwyer-to-work-overtime-700037/#ixzz2cXKtCT77[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha