Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jadeveon Clowney..We might have a chance...

Legend

User Info Menu

I've seen Clowney quite a bit over the past couple of years. I think the "takes plays off" reputation is totally unfounded. Teams totally avoid his side of the field, double and triple team him, etc. I saw in person when South Carolina played UCF. UCF did everything but tackle Clowney to the ground and tie him up.

The reality is he is the best defensive lineman in this draft and will be the BPA if he was still there when we drafted. The sad reality is that even though we can't get to the QB we would likely pass on him because he is a 4-3 DE who would be yet another "coversion project" as long as we continue to play the 3-4. This is an example with why I like the 4-3, not that it matters, because for a 4-3 team he likely comes in and contributes from Day 1.

Guys like SKL and Ruthless probably have a more informed assessment on evaluating talent, but I would jump for joy if we could get Clowney as long as we used him right and put him in position to play to his strengths.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...but we still wouldn't take Clowney because he doesn't "fit" what LeBeau likes
    we wouldn't take him because he's overrated, not physical at all, and has no desire. He fits in some teams plans somewhere. More than likely that plan is "get coach fired, miss playoffs, stink up the joint, and blame it on the first round bust J Clowney".
    I'm not sure if teams make plans like that, but the team that drafts clowney is making that plan.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noitall0605 View Post
    That guy we signed last week was the best center we have had since Hartings
    I hope you're kidding because if you're not that may just be the stupidest thing I've heard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jadeveon Clowney ticketed again

Updated: December 27, 2013
    Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has been pulled over again for going at least 25 mph over the speed limit.

Clowney was stopped around 10:30 a.m. Thursday for going 84 mph in a 55 mph zone on Interstate 26 near Interstate 126, about five miles from the Gamecocks' campus, Columbia police said.

The traffic stop happened about an hour before the Gamecocks flew to Florida for the Jan. 1 Capital One Bowl against Wisconsin. The game will be the junior's last for the Gamecocks as he leaves school early for the NFL draft.

It's Clowney's second ticket in three weeks. On Dec. 7, state troopers say, Clowney was going 110 mph in a 70 mph zone.

South Carolina's Steve Spurrier was asked about Clowney's latest ticket after the team landed in Orlando, and the coach did not sound too concerned.

"He needs to go to driving school, doesn't he? Somebody told me he got another speeding ticket today," Spurrier said. "At least he'll have enough money to pay for it a week or so from now. He needs to go to driving school. Hopefully they'll send him there after the bowl game."

Drivers pleading guilty to going at least 25 mph over the speed limit in South Carolina get six points. State law allows a license to be suspended after 12 points.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10198336/jadeveon-clowney-south-carolina-gamecocks-ticketed-speeding-again[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Get that boy a Valentine!

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL Draft: Scout compares Jadeveon Clowney to Randy Moss

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    January 1, 2014

Jadeveon Clowney's effort and overall passion have been questioned by pro scouts.

A move that shouldn't shock anyone, South Carolina junior pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney will skip his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. He made the declaration moments after the Gamecocks' bowl victory over Wisconsin on Wednesday.

Clowney is rated as the No. 1 defensive end prospect for the 2014 NFL Draft and the No. 2 overall player in this year's class. Only Texas A&M senior offensive tackle Jake Matthews is currently rated above him. It would be considered a shock if Clowney fell out of the top-five picks on draft day.

Arguably the most talented NFL prospect in this class or in recent years, Clowney is a freak athlete for his size (6-5, 275) with above average first step quickness and the ability to convert speed to power. His burst, flexibility and overall strength are outstanding and allow him to make an impact as both a run blocker and pass rusher. Although his production was down in 2013 (only 3 sacks compared to 13 last year), Clowney's impact cannot be fully appreciated in the stat sheet as he often was double-teamed and received special treatment from opposing offenses who left a tight end or running back on his side of the field.

But despite the immense natural talent, Clowney is not a flawless prospect and there will be several questions that he'll need to answer during the pre-draft process. His effort and overall passion have been questioned by scouts and it's something that has shown on tape.

“He's a modern day Randy Moss,” said an AFC East scout on Clowney. “J.C. doesn't have the same type of criminal background as Randy did when he was his age, but the dependence on natural talent and problematic effort concerns are very similar. Difference is, Clowney won't fall out of the top-seven like Randy did.”

The “effort” concerns don't exist because his statistics dipped in 2013 compared to last season, but rather because he appeared tentative and fatigued too often during his junior year. Was he playing not to get hurt or are there legitimate effort concerns?

“In high school, he was the best player on the field. Same in the SEC,” the scout added. “But he needs to realize that won't be the case in the league. If he wants to have a career longer than a few seasons, the kid needs to wake up, add some glass to his diet and understand that it'll take a lot more work during the week.”

Clowney also battled a foot injury throughout the season and despite saying on Wednesday that he had “no plans” for surgery, it's something to monitor.

A native of Rock Hill, S.C. where he attended South Pointe High School, Clowney was the crown jewel recruit when he arrived at South Carolina and his legend seemed to grow more and more, eventually getting to the point where it was impossible for him to live up to the hype. His “football character” will likely be a hot topic over the next few months, but it should also be noted that he plays a position where concerns in that area aren't as magnified for NFL teams like they would be if he played quarterback.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24394842/nfl-draft-scout-compares-jadeveon-clowney-to-randy-moss[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I always worry about the real STAR players who had it easy all there life. They do not understand the hard work it will take to be that good in the NFL. Does he have the make up to become great in the NFL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I always worry about the real STAR players who had it easy all there life. They do not understand the hard work it will take to be that good in the NFL. Does he have the make up to become great in the NFL?
    Not sure if Clowney will be great, good or mediocre, but I did tune in to watch him play against Wisconsin, since I have never seen him play. He had an okay game, knocked down a few passes, but you could also tell that Wisconsin put a gamer plan in place to take advantage of Clowney as well. They must have watched his tendencies in specific down and distances, because, there were many times he was blocked by one person because he had basically taken himself out of the play either by taking a hard inside rush or a hard upfield rush and Wisconsin simply ran where he wasn't. The announcers were talking him up big time even though I was watching him get blocked out of many plays.

That doesn't mean he won't be an awesome pro, but it did show that he has work to do the same as all other draftees.

The Alabama vs Oklahoma game was more of the same thing, Ha-Ha, Mosely and Kounandjio were exposed by the Oklahoma game plan and, in particular, Kouandjio who was beaten routinely by a smaller, quicker and faster pass rusher. Oklahoma's Striker easily beat him with a speed rush that never allowed McCarron to get comfortable in the pocket and on Alabama's last offensive play of the game McCarron trusted Kouandijo to block Striker and he was unable to do so.

Clinton-Dix and Mosely were barely mentioned during the game except by the announcers to say that they were two of the best in the country at their positions, Oklahoma neutralized them easily.

These guys all may be great NFL football players, but it just shows that even top picks can be exposed with a game plan and that they have work to do to be great NFL players.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-03-2014 at 11:58 AM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Not sure if Clowney will be great, good or mediocre, but I did tune in to watch him play against Wisconsin, since I have never seen him play. He had an okay game, knocked down a few passes, but you could also tell that Wisconsin put a gamer plan in place to take advantage of Clowney as well. They must have watched his tendencies in specific down and distances, because, there were many times he was blocked by one person because he had basically taken himself out of the play either by taking a hard inside rush or a hard upfield rush and Wisconsin simply ran where he wasn't. The announcers were talking him up big time even though I was watching him get blocked out of many plays.

That doesn't mean he won't be an awesome pro, but it did show that he has work to do the same as all other draftees.

The Alabama vs Oklahoma game was more of the same thing, Ha-Ha, Mosely and Kounandjio were exposed by the Oklahoma game plan and, in particular, Kouandjio who was beaten routinely by a smaller, quicker and faster pass rusher. Oklahoma's Striker easily beat him with a speed rush that never allowed McCarron to get comfortable in the pocket and on Alabama's last offensive play of the game McCarron trusted Kouandijo to block Striker and he was unable to do so.

Clinton-Dix and Mosely were barely mentioned during the game except by the announcers to say that they were two of the best in the country at their positions, Oklahoma neutralized them easily.

These guys all may be great NFL football players, but it just shows that even top picks can be exposed with a game plan and that they have work to do to be great NFL players.

Pappy

Last night, Ha Ha, Mosley and Cyrus K. may have played themselves to the very bottom of Round 1 if not out of it all together in a couple of cases. Of course their total body of work will be looked at, but I kinda look at Alabama like USC a few years ago...when you have that much talent on one team is it really the individual player that is making the difference or are the opponents just overwhelmed by the overwhelming number of great players.

I think all three of the players mentioned will be solid Pros but not sure they are stars at the next level.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I've seen Clowney quite a bit over the past couple of years. I think the "takes plays off" reputation is totally unfounded. Teams totally avoid his side of the field, double and triple team him, etc. I saw in person when South Carolina played UCF. UCF did everything but tackle Clowney to the ground and tie him up.

The reality is he is the best defensive lineman in this draft and will be the BPA if he was still there when we drafted. The sad reality is that even though we can't get to the QB we would likely pass on him because he is a 4-3 DE who would be yet another "coversion project" as long as we continue to play the 3-4. This is an example with why I like the 4-3, not that it matters, because for a 4-3 team he likely comes in and contributes from Day 1.

Guys like SKL and Ruthless probably have a more informed assessment on evaluating talent, but I would jump for joy if we could get Clowney as long as we used him right and put him in position to play to his strengths.
    A better fit, and the one I think is the best defensive player in this draft, is OLB Khalil Mack. Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network and former NFL scout said he thinks he is the one for sure bet in this entire draft. He is complete in all aspects of and OLB for a 3-4.

But he too will not be there at 15.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash