Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This Offensive Line...

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    IMO our lineman are too big...
    Do you mean too heavy or too tall? Because it seemed to me they tried to get rid of the fatter players on the O-line when they released Colon and Starks. Pouncey and DeCastro are rather trim for O-line. I don't think of Adams, Foster and Gilbert as big and fat, but they are tall. I think the O-line is talented but I am not going to get too depressed until the regular season starts and things are still not looking good. I am thinking they were anticipating finding at least one hidden gem in all the premium Oline FAs they signed. So far it seems they haven't uncovered one. But I believe they will scour the waiver wires with a magnifying glass on cutdown day.

I just saw where the Raiders signed Tony Hills today. I can't believe we left him out there. He would have fit right in with this line.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Chat Question today: will the Steelers keep an eye on waiver wire, cause this OL had major holes?

My answer:

Ed Bouchette: They will scour the waiver wire, especially next week and the week after when teams are required to cut down to 75 players, then 53. But they are not looking for starting offensive linemen, they will be looking for backups.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter

Steelers' offensive line cause for concern

Ben Roethlisberger is sacked by the Bengals' Geno Atkins(97) and Wallace Gilberry as offensive lineman Ramon Foster approaches during the Steelers' 13-10 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals at Heinz Field on Sunday, December 23, 2012.

Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013
    By Chris Bradford

PITTSBURGH – Dropped passes are as much a part of preseason football as sweltering days at training camp. Those are the types of mental errors that can usually be chalked up to the dog days of summer.

Certainly the Steelers aren’t happy with their 0-2 showing thus far but that’s of little concern. It is just the preseason after all. The poor showing of their offensive line, however, is a little more perplexing.

Thought to be the one of the Steelers’ biggest advantages, the offensive line – starting five included -- has been a detriment.

In Monday night’s 24-13 loss at Washington, left guard Ramon Foster was the only lineman not to be penalized and three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey was effectively manhandled by Redskins nose tackle Barry Cofield.

“Penalties, things that took away a lot of yardage that we couldn’t get back … We’ve got to be better than that,” said Foster.

As a unit, they have been able to incorporate some of new line coach Jack Bicknell Jr.’s outside zone-blocking scheme. They have been able to display their athleticism, allowing Jonathan Dwyer to rush for 63 yards on Monday and LaRod Stephens-Howling to pick up 40 the week before. But again, it’s just the preseason and Bicknell isn’t about to tip his hand.

Still, Foster isn’t satisfied.

“We’ve been doing (zone blocking) for a while -- since the spring -- we just have to be on top,” he said. “We just have to execute it better. It’s there. I don’t think any coach is discouraged by it at all.”

Pass protection has been even more problematic.

Perhaps the only positive to come out of the second preseason game was that franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is still healthy. That’s saying something. Roethlisberger was under siege during his one half of work and was eventually sacked twice. In all, the Steelers have surrendered nine sacks in two games.

“We’re not going to make any excuses about our pass pro,” said Foster. “We’ll be better in that department.”

Foster’s confidence is rooted in that the Steelers will game-plan, at least the first half, as they would in the regular season.

“It’s early enough where we can fix stuff,” he said. “It’s good that we have a preseason.”

It’s good, but time will soon be running out.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...902a88053.html

Hall of Famer
    Outstanding job by the guys over at the Depot breaking down the Redskins game. We thought it was ugly.... and it was:

www.steelersdepot.com/2013/08/tape-breakdown-steelers-versus-redskins-game-notes-preseason-week-2/#axzz2ctsd1aRe