Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A different week same story.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

yep..same performance game play like last week like end of last years season......
    I saw nothing to convince me we will be any better then 8-8 team at best.....

Offense looked terrible.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    To show my point with Gradkowski notice the complete change in playcalling?
    ONE first down rush by a running back in with Grad in the game during the second quarter. Way more attention to the receivers. Why?

Does this mean they plan to call games that way? No.
    Do they trust Grad more than they do Ben?

Answer: Not nearly as worried about the backup QB and he NEEDS the work with this team in a game setting.

Dont worry about the playcalling
    I wonder if those people who are complaining about the play calling are the same ones who get surprised every year when the Steelers don't go after the big ticket free agents.

Every year same thing...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    This is a great post and, obviously, one I agree with. I don't know what it is, but for nearly Tomlin's entire tenure, it doesn't seem like the Steelers are afraid of screwing up. There's no fear of reprisal with these guys. I'm not saying guys don't get benched, like Mendenhall, but guys don't seem to give a sh*t. That attitude comes from Tomlin. He instills and reinforces the attitude of the team. I think he's too chummy with his team, like they view him more as a friend than anything else. Granted, this is my view from the outside, but like Pappy said, when you have mental errors to the degree the Steelers have them, it's a concern.

Last year, it seemingly took them more than a quarter to get into games and there were other times when they never got into it. Our O line is in love with holding, they can't protect anyone and while there is a large degree of ability that goes with that, surely preparation and mental focus play a role. False starts? That's all mental. Late hits? That's mental. Being aware of the game situation and what your role in the game is when/if you get the ball? That's mental. There were WAY too many times last year (and the year before) when the Steelers seemed to be sleeping. Great teams do not sleep and if there are guys sleeping, either the coach or the other players take care of it - quickly.

I get that the O line hasn't played together much, but after a point, that ceases to be a valid excuse. Pouncey, a vet at this point, had an AWFUL game. He should be setting the tone for the rest of the line. That's not how you do it.

I keep saying it and I know a lot of people disagree with me, but we need a new coach. The Steelers lack focus and discipline and that's on the head coach. This team is not going anywhere as long as Mike Tomlin leads them. I live in New England so I see the Patriots play every week. Belichick has his team ready every week and they have a ton of guys who may not be the most skilled, but they are so dialed-in mentally that they make up for any physical shortcomings by processing things quicker than their opponents. Brady usually has ALL DAY to throw. Sure, that has a lot to do with the talent of the O line, but it's also about scheme and about being disciplined. Belichick demands discipline and if you don't play that way, he'll find someone who will. Every Patriot knows and accepts this. The Steelers? They don't care.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are in for a LONG season. This team is a mess right now. I don't care what plays are called, if you can't block, can't stop committing penalties and can't stop turning over the ball, you won't win. This team, as they are constructed right now, won't win much. What Haley does or doesn't do is irrelevant. Tomlin is the guy deserving of the scrutiny and when you look at where this team is, you should see how poorly coached this team is, today. Yes, he has gone to two Super Bowls, but I'm talking about now. This team is a sh*tshow.
    I so agree with your response.....I would say if Tomlin doesn't turn this Steeler team around they need to replace.......

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I wonder if those people who are complaining about the play calling are the same ones who get surprised every year when the Steelers don't go after the big ticket free agents.

Every year same thing...
    I wonder if the people who don't complain get surprised by the sacks and OL looking like butt sauce.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't think anyone else's offense could make Arians offense look like the greatest show on turf. Another Tomlin team with disciplined issues. I know it's just preseason but, the good teams usually show it early. I wonder if Tomlin is going to make it three seasons in a row that he's lost the opener of regular season ? Anyone want to take a guess at it ?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I didn't think anyone else's offense could make Arians offense look like the greatest show on turf. Another Tomlin team with disciplined issues. I know it's just preseason but, the good teams usually show it early. I wonder if Tomlin is going to make it three seasons in a row that he's lost the opener of regular season ? Anyone want to take a guess at it ?

Boy! Given all of Tennessee issues, I can't possibly see us losing that game. But then again, Tomlin pretty much has a cemented History of NOT properly preparing the team for opponents that we SHOULD have easily beaten...Browns, Raiders, KC, ect.

So who knows if we can beat a reletively young, and bad Titans team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Boy! Given all of Tennessee issues, I can't possibly see us losing that game. But then again, Tomlin pretty much has a cemented History of NOT properly preparing the team for opponents that we SHOULD have easily beaten...Browns, Raiders, KC, ect.

So who knows if we can beat a reletively young, and bad Titans team.
    The titans were the worst team in the league last season at the time they beat the Steelers. I can't see us losing the game but I'm not throwing any $$ down either. If they can figure out what going on; there's no reason not to be 4-1 going into the bye week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I wonder if the people who don't complain get surprised by the sacks and OL looking like butt sauce.
    True. I'm pretty sure that this team will get better if I complain more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    True. I'm pretty sure that this team will get better if I complain more.
    how has the opposite worked out the last few weeks?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The titans were the worst team in the league last season at the time they beat the Steelers. I can't see us losing the game but I'm not throwing any $$ down either. If they can figure out what going on; there's no reason not to be 4-1 going into the bye week.
    Pick 6
    2 other TOs
    5 penalties for 65 yards

That's by the starting offense and defense in 1 half of football. That's a pretty good reason right there to believe that 4-1 is not happening. Difficult to be optimistic when the same issues that plagued the team last year are still occurring.

Pappy

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount