Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: A different week same story.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Because the Patriots have never handcuffed Brady or asked him to wait until the fourth quarter to bail the team out. Meanwhile, Ben is asked to play game manager and not throw the ball more than 10 yards until the Steelers. Of course when they do let him loose, it's usually too late and he's easy to blame for fans like yourself.
    Maybe not true in the preseason, but certainly true in the BA era. In BA's last season, Ben was allowed to make play changes at the line any time he wanted. How did that work out for him? I'll answer that for you, he was sacked 40 times, and total 21 TDs. But yeah, he got yards 4077 to be exact, woohoo.
    Roethlisberger is at his best when playing from behind or playing under pressure. That's his game, that's why 3rd and longs don't bother me as much as others.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Now, that I had a chance to "reflect" on our second preseason game.... I'm not very disappointed with the overall performance.

After all, we hear the Tomlinisms and the buzz words on a weekly basis like the "standard is the standard". Well, the Tomlin-lead team set a pretty crappy standard towards the end of last year and the team has been meeting that standard ever since. Why should we expect it to change?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We don't have the talent we once had and we have a head coach that doesn't seem to have wear with all to run a discipline team. You have players getting old, players not playing up to their potential, players not worth their draft status/selection along with players that can't stay healthy. Top that off with a front office holding onto old players, allowing good young players to leave and once again, a head coach that doesn't have his focus upon any of the above mentioned. Be prepared to get the ear beatings from the Browns, Bengal fans for a real long time.

Starter

User Info Menu

Mister Pittsburgh said: "Amazingly 30 other starting QB's throw downfield in these meaningless games, practicing their real offenses to hone their skills, without fearing injury. We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense out of fear our starting QB won't make it to opening game.

"We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense"

I was thinking the same thing but now I am not so sure. Now I am wondering if just maybe this is our real offense.

And as far as all this meaningless preseason BS goes, the only thing not important about these games is the score.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Now, that I had a chance to "reflect" on our second preseason game.... I'm not very disappointed with the overall performance.

After all, we hear the Tomlinisms and the buzz words on a weekly basis like the "standard is the standard". Well, the Tomlin-lead team set a pretty crappy standard towards the end of last year and the team has been meeting that standard ever since. Why should we expect it to change?
    Actually... after re-watching the game I'm not nearly as upset. I'm being sincere too... most of my frustration is due to the typical first series 3rd down sack and the sloppy penalties.

Looking at the game a second time showed me that while our OL has issues protecting the QB at times there were also some great routes, great catches and decent holes for the RB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Mister Pittsburgh said: "Amazingly 30 other starting QB's throw downfield in these meaningless games, practicing their real offenses to hone their skills, without fearing injury. We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense out of fear our starting QB won't make it to opening game.

"We, however are too fearful of our crap line to try to run our real offense"

I was thinking the same thing but now I am not so sure. Now I am wondering if just maybe this is our real offense.

And as far as all this meaningless preseason BS goes, the only thing not important about these games is the score.
    On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had.

Starter

User Info Menu

feltdizz said "On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had."

What's funny about this is when the OC change was made I figured it was just about the right time for it. I thought the BA offense was too conservative. The facts were TS were not even close to being in the top group of downfield passing teams. [Passes over 15 before now 20 yd in the air]. Maybe Ben was 7th or 9th a few times but mostly middle of the pack. And no, it was not only the Kitna type always playing from behind throwing 45-55 passes a game but Eli Manning and Aaron Roger were usually right there at the top.

Also TS were not running the ball good enough from the 11 set. 1RB 1TE 3WR. This also needed correcting. And it looks like it will be. So that is good. But meanwhile the overall O seems to be shrinking and that is not good. Is it?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    feltdizz said "On second glance we had a few 15 to 20 yard pass plays... but yes, our real offense looks like small ball vs the BA offense we had."

What's funny about this is when the OC change was made I figured it was just about the right time for it. I thought the BA offense was too conservative. The facts were TS were not even close to being in the top group of downfield passing teams. [Passes over 15 before now 20 yd in the air]. Maybe Ben was 7th or 9th a few times but mostly middle of the pack. And no, it was not only the Kitna type always playing from behind throwing 45-55 passes a game but Eli Manning and Aaron Roger were usually right there at the top.

Also TS were not running the ball good enough from the 11 set. 1RB 1TE 3WR. This also needed correcting. And it looks like it will be. So that is good. But meanwhile the overall O seems to be shrinking and that is not good. Is it?
    If the O shrinks and marches down the field for TD's.. I don't have a problem with it. Unfortunately I think we may have the same RZ struggles which will be frustrating when we look at TOP vs the score. The other concern I have is adjustments... teams are already creeping up on us and eating up bubble screens and swing passes... if that continues it will be a long year. I still think our WR core isn't strong enough to play underneath

Legend

User Info Menu

Is it just me or did anyone else feel as if there were multiple times when Ben was scrambling that the Steelers WRs didn't seem to be able to get open?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Is it just me or did anyone else feel as if there were multiple times when Ben was scrambling that the Steelers WRs didn't seem to be able to get open?
    couldn't see Ben and the WR's at the same time... but I wouldn't be surprised if the younger WR's are having a hard time adjusting to Ben's scrambling style. Also wonder if the shorter routes make it easier for the D to cover WR's.