Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A different week same story.

Backup

User Info Menu

So this is what I'm gathering from what I've read here:

1. Todd Haley is supposed to tip his hand and use his entire playbook during the pre-season.

2. It takes no time at all to successfully install a blocking scheme that's fundamentally different than before.

3. The starting offensive line should look like they've been together for years despite all five of them being together for only the second time ever.

K.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    THIS is a legit concern. I do not care about playcalling as they are calling plays to make evaluations, not to win at all cost.
    However the mental mistakes are indeed troubling.
    Mental mistakes have plagued the Steelers since they last won the Superbowl and that includes the two time Superbowl winning quarterback. I'm not sure what the problem is, but regardless of who the players are the Steelers seem to be unable to focus mentally for a complete game.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    I don't even know what to say other than our OTs are awful...
    That's a good start at figuring out what to say.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Mental mistakes have plagued the Steelers since they last won the Superbowl and that includes the two time Superbowl winning quarterback. I'm not sure what the problem is, but regardless of who the players are the Steelers seem to be unable to focus mentally for a complete game.

Pappy
    Problems start and end with the OL. It causes everything else on the offense to fall apart.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Problems start and end with the OL. It causes everything else on the offense to fall apart.
    I agree 100%, however, as a team, the Steelers are not good enough to overcome mental mistakes that should be avoided. Physical mistakes are one thing, sometimes the other guy makes plays, but mental mistakes kill drives or allow the other team to score points and they are the easiest to correct. Right now it's not about the football, it's the preseason, but if you're making mental mistakes and getting penalties or missing blocks or not securing the football this lack of focus will spill over into the regular season and we'll all wonder what the H3ll is going on.

This version of the Steelers has enough talent to compete in this league and win games, but they do not have the mental ability right now to compete. They will lose to teams they should beat because they allow them in games due to mental mistakes, add that to the teams that beat them even when they play their best and their average again, just like last year.

IMO, physically and talent wise the Steelers are a top team, mentally they are inferior by a long shot to the best teams, including the Ravens.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    It's just not a real pre-season without Chicken Little making an early appearance..
    sorry Chadman but this team looks awful right now...

I know it's preseason but that's the problem....I'm looking at this team with my preseason goggles and they still look awful. I'm not trying to hear any excuses about calling plays to see XYZ.

Our biggest problem is red zone scoring and we can't even work on it because we can't get past mid field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Excuses? I am not defending our PLAY.
    Please take note of what I have said.

I am defending the PLAY-CALLING. .....BECAUSE the tackles are playing horrible.

Worry all you want about the lack of blocking for Ben....I AGREE WITH YOU.

Just dont do that while complaining that we are not throwing deep, as others are doing.

We are not calling plays strategically. We are evaluating and doing so in a way that puts Ben at the least risk.
    sounds like excuses to me...

Is a 10 yard pass considered a deep pass?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I agree 100%, however, as a team, the Steelers are not good enough to overcome mental mistakes that should be avoided. Physical mistakes are one thing, sometimes the other guy makes plays, but mental mistakes kill drives or allow the other team to score points and they are the easiest to correct. Right now it's not about the football, it's the preseason, but if you're making mental mistakes and getting penalties or missing blocks or not securing the football this lack of focus will spill over into the regular season and we'll all wonder what the H3ll is going on.

This version of the Steelers has enough talent to compete in this league and win games, but they do not have the mental ability right now to compete. They will lose to teams they should beat because they allow them in games due to mental mistakes, add that to the teams that beat them even when they play their best and their average again, just like last year.

IMO, physically and talent wise the Steelers are a top team, mentally they are inferior by a long shot to the best teams, including the Ravens.

Pappy
    This is a great post and, obviously, one I agree with. I don't know what it is, but for nearly Tomlin's entire tenure, it doesn't seem like the Steelers are afraid of screwing up. There's no fear of reprisal with these guys. I'm not saying guys don't get benched, like Mendenhall, but guys don't seem to give a sh*t. That attitude comes from Tomlin. He instills and reinforces the attitude of the team. I think he's too chummy with his team, like they view him more as a friend than anything else. Granted, this is my view from the outside, but like Pappy said, when you have mental errors to the degree the Steelers have them, it's a concern.

Last year, it seemingly took them more than a quarter to get into games and there were other times when they never got into it. Our O line is in love with holding, they can't protect anyone and while there is a large degree of ability that goes with that, surely preparation and mental focus play a role. False starts? That's all mental. Late hits? That's mental. Being aware of the game situation and what your role in the game is when/if you get the ball? That's mental. There were WAY too many times last year (and the year before) when the Steelers seemed to be sleeping. Great teams do not sleep and if there are guys sleeping, either the coach or the other players take care of it - quickly.

I get that the O line hasn't played together much, but after a point, that ceases to be a valid excuse. Pouncey, a vet at this point, had an AWFUL game. He should be setting the tone for the rest of the line. That's not how you do it.

I keep saying it and I know a lot of people disagree with me, but we need a new coach. The Steelers lack focus and discipline and that's on the head coach. This team is not going anywhere as long as Mike Tomlin leads them. I live in New England so I see the Patriots play every week. Belichick has his team ready every week and they have a ton of guys who may not be the most skilled, but they are so dialed-in mentally that they make up for any physical shortcomings by processing things quicker than their opponents. Brady usually has ALL DAY to throw. Sure, that has a lot to do with the talent of the O line, but it's also about scheme and about being disciplined. Belichick demands discipline and if you don't play that way, he'll find someone who will. Every Patriot knows and accepts this. The Steelers? They don't care.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are in for a LONG season. This team is a mess right now. I don't care what plays are called, if you can't block, can't stop committing penalties and can't stop turning over the ball, you won't win. This team, as they are constructed right now, won't win much. What Haley does or doesn't do is irrelevant. Tomlin is the guy deserving of the scrutiny and when you look at where this team is, you should see how poorly coached this team is, today. Yes, he has gone to two Super Bowls, but I'm talking about now. This team is a sh*tshow.
    Last edited by JB13; 08-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That's a good start at figuring out what to say.

Pappy
    It's so good I didn't even say anything else about it....

Defense showed some, repeat _some_, life.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    So this is what I'm gathering from what I've read here:

1. Todd Haley is supposed to tip his hand and use his entire playbook during the pre-season.

2. It takes no time at all to successfully install a blocking scheme that's fundamentally different than before.

3. The starting offensive line should look like they've been together for years despite all five of them being together for only the second time ever.

K.
    1. tipping our hand? Do we have some magical offense where Ben throws the ball down field behind his back?

2. OTA's and Camp should be enough time. Do we really have to wait 2 or 3 years for every new scheme to gel? All we've heard for the last 4 years is "almost, real close, etc..."

3. How hard is it for 5 guys to pass block?