Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Madden: Steelers Wasting BIg Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me add that Ben has NEVER missed a playoff in seasons that we had balance. NEVER!

Rookie season- Ben's best regular season- rushed over 600 times, passed less than 400 4th highest scoring team
    2nd season- Ben becomes youngest SB champ EVER- 2nd most run heavy team- 2nd scoring team of Ben's
    4th season- Most truly balanced team, third most run attempts- Last team that ran more than it passed. Highest scoring team of Ben's career/ Bens best QB rating, BEN SCORED MORE TDs PASSING (32) than he has done in any season since DESPITE throwing around a HUNDRED LESS passes than the team does does nowadays. EVERY SEASON SINCE 2007 we have thrown more passes and "BEN" (never mind run TDs) has scored less than the 32 TDs that season.

When we are pass-centric it is a tossup whether we make the playoffs.

With Ben and balance or even run heavy....we NEVER miss.

And WE SCORE MORE doing it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-19-2013 at 06:03 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? We're talking about Week 1 in Denver last year. Redman sure as hell wasn't getting "7 yards per carry" and the play calling in the first half was mostly run, run, pass. And yes, Ben did bail them out a number of times. Do you even know what game you're referencing?

And in a lot of those games the Steelers did at one point have a 4th quarter lead and the defense blew it.

You know what, that Deadspin article is right. No matter how much Ben has done, there are yinzers who still think he has something to prove.
    The 1st quarter of that Denver game last year you are correct. We did go run, run, pass. However, the first drive of the 2nd quarter we get a great punt return by AB and start the drive at the Denver 37. We move the ball and get a 1st and goal at the Denver 3 and here are our plays ...

1st down - Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete to Antonio Brown.
    2nd down - Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete to Heath Miller.
    3rd down - Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete to Heath Miller.
    4th down - Shaun Suisham 21 yard field goal GOOD.

and that folks is the problem with our offense. We can't score touchdowns whether we try and run the ball or pass the ball. I'm not blaming Ben for this but 3 straight passes from the 3 yard line is not exactly yinzer ball like you are portraying. Starting with the 2nd quarter and going until Denver had the pick 6 late in the fourth quarter the Steelers had 22 first downs and passed on 12 of them. Again, that doesn't sound like this yinzer football you keep speaking about. First of all we didn't have an offensive line that would allow us to play yinzer football. I wish we did.

I do agree that Ben was fantastic with his 3rd and long passing. I think it was something like 5 of 6 when it was 3rd and longer than 7 yards.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Let me add that Ben has NEVER missed a playoff in seasons that we had balance. NEVER!

Rookie season- Ben's best regular season- rushed over 600 times, passed less than 40- fourth highest scoring team
    2nd season- Ben becomes youngest SB champ EVER- 2nd most run heavy team- 2nd scoring team of Ben's
    4th season- Most truly balanced team, third most run attempts- Last team that ran more than it passed. Highest scoring team of Ben's career/ Bens best QB rating, BEN SCORED MORE TDs PASSING (32) than he has done in any season since DESPITE the teams throwing around a HUNDRED LESS passes than he does nowadays. EVERY SEASON SINCE 2007 we have thrown more passes and BEN (never mind the team as a whole) has scored less than that season.

When we are pass-centric it is a stoup whether we make the playoffs.

With Ben and balance or even run heavy....we NEVER miss.
    But guess what, that was then this is now. And now the Steelers have a very different team. Now, Ben is their best player. He needs to be the primary focus of the offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

But guess what, that was then this is now. And now the Steelers have a very different team. Now, Ben is their best player. He needs to be the primary focus of the offense.
    Sooo now "THEN" just went from "the 70s" to 2007. Well I am making progress.

I WILL concede this point.
    I dont blame the coaches for not calling more run with an ineffective run game which goes to your point.
    We HAD to pass because the run game was pathetic.

However, the team WISELY has tried to address the issues with the run game.

IF those changes create a vastly improved run attack, we need to go back to balance.

Ben has been out most valuable offensive player since he got here. Nothing new.
    Given the luxury of a balanced attack, "our most valuable player" cannot be stopped.
    HISTORY has shown this to be true.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-19-2013 at 06:18 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/madden-steelers-wasting-big-ben/article_4d598ab7-4b82-5321-bfc7-437f5dee5bf8.html[/URL]

Madden: Steelers wasting Big Ben
    Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:45 pm
    By Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent

Once upon a time, Ben Roethlisberger was a top five NFL quarterback.

He could be again, given chance.

That chance does not appear imminent.
    Look closely at the very premise of this article. The problem with Madden is that his priorities are LESS about the Steelers as a team and irrational fandom for Ben. For Ben to get "his deserved glory" like and take his place among "the elite" is WAY TOO important to him. One of those silly fans who need to brag "my QB is better".

Dan Marino get the glory, the accolades, he is in the GOAT conversation. But his contemporary Troy Aikman has got the rings. I have no doubt Aikman could have gotten much more press and been much more "prolific" had the cowboys called that kind of game. But he got rings. Was his talent "wasted"? If being an indispensable key to a championship caliber team is "wasted" then yes.

Ben is an indispensable key to a championship for this team,whether he throws 400 times or 600 times. He does not need to put up huge fantasy numbers to prove that.

The Steelers had MANY great run teams that could not win a championship until Ben came along. Now we have been to 3 and won 2 SBs.

That alone makes Ben not a "waste".

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How's that for playcalling run run pass punt. What a waste for a OC.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    What a waste for a OC.
    he only got the job because of who his Daddy is...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    lol might be true.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Same could be said for Art II...

Backup

User Info Menu

What the hell are you talking about? We're talking about Week 1 in Denver last year. Redman sure as hell wasn't getting "7 yards per carry" and the play calling in the first half was mostly run, run, pass. And yes, Ben did bail them out a number of times. Do you even know what game you're referencing?
    I was talking about the Denver playoff game in 2011. What are you talking about.