Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden: Steelers Wasting BIg Ben

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

how about one that can consistently put up points with his franchise QB.

seems simple enough

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Arians sucked! Haley now sucks! Curious as to who the perfect OC would ever be?
    As long as they suck us into the playoffs I'm ok with it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we at least let the season get under way before we drag out the R.I.P headstone for the year? Last year there was big change and it wasn't embraced or dealt with well by most of those involved. Word coming out of camp is that's changed and there's going to be a lot more cohesion this year. Give it a chance. I'm excited. And Madden is dead wrong about no deep threat - rookie or not, Wheaton WILL BE a deep threat. I will say this though - Haley's 52% Red Zone TD pct was not good and no better than Arians. They MUST score TDs and put teams away.

And let's not blame all the woes on coach Haley. The D was a big part of being 8-8. They allowed 4 comeback wins and 5 game-winning drives last year. The Titans loss was an abomination. The lack of pressure and turnovers was putrid. They need to play better as a unit as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Did you even watch the Super Bowl? You honestly believe the Ravens won the super bowl with ball control and defense?????

The Ravens were 30th in time of possession.

How many time did the Ravens go downfield to Boldin and Smith? Ray Rice was an afterthought (and frankly might have fumbling problems in the postseason).

It's not uncommon to hear Steeler fans dismiss the current state of the NFL as the "flavor of the day", but does the NFL really look to be going back to running and defense any time soon? Even if it eventually does, how many mediocre seasons will the Steelers have in between?

If they think time of possession is more important than scoring like they did last year, then it won't get better.
    Did you even watch the season???

What was the key to the turn around of both Flacco and the Ravens? Care to venture a guess?

Yep, that's right...the guy they forgot in the first half of the season was Ray Rice. When they got him plugged back in, they began to pull it together. They may have won the SB with the pass, but they got there by setting up Flacco for success by establishing Rice.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    With the call of many both fans and media to turn Ben into Brady...short dink and dunk is the way to go.

With that said, that isn't going to be what you see this season. Ben wouldn't be excited if he wasn't going to get his chances to hit the deep ball this year. You are going to see more balance, both run and pass effectively out of the same formations. Deep ball set up by ball control passing and running. I suspect it will be quite beautiful to watch. I'm stoked.
    Ben isn't the same kind of QB as Brady. Doesn't mean he's not elite caliber, it just means he's different. Just because something works for Brady doesn't mean it'll work for every other elite caliber QB.

Backup

User Info Menu

Did you even watch the season???

What was the key to the turn around of both Flacco and the Ravens? Care to venture a guess?

Yep, that's right...the guy they forgot in the first half of the season was Ray Rice. When they got him plugged back in, they began to pull it together. They may have won the SB with the pass, but they got there by setting up Flacco for success by establishing Rice.
    Wow.... you are helplessly stuck in the early 70's, aren't you?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Can we at least let the season get under way before we drag out the R.I.P headstone for the year? Last year there was big change and it wasn't embraced or dealt with well by most of those involved. Word coming out of camp is that's changed and there's going to be a lot more cohesion this year. Give it a chance. I'm excited. And Madden is dead wrong about no deep threat - rookie or not, Wheaton WILL BE a deep threat. I will say this though - Haley's 52% Red Zone TD pct was not good and no better than Arians. They MUST score TDs and put teams away.

And let's not blame all the woes on coach Haley. The D was a big part of being 8-8. They allowed 4 comeback wins and 5 game-winning drives last year. The Titans loss was an abomination. The lack of pressure and turnovers was putrid. They need to play better as a unit as well.
    Sanders will be a deep threat as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    how about one that can consistently put up points with his franchise QB.

seems simple enough
    Hard to do with your QB hurt, being hit constantly and NO running game.

Legend

User Info Menu

With the call of many both fans and media to turn Ben into Brady...short dink and dunk is the way to go.

With that said, that isn't going to be what you see this season. Ben wouldn't be excited if he wasn't going to get his chances to hit the deep ball this year. You are going to see more balance, both run and pass effectively out of the same formations. Deep ball set up by ball control passing and running. I suspect it will be quite beautiful to watch. I'm stoked.
    No one wanted Ben to turn into Brady... I think most just wanted Ben to hit the RB in the flat quicker when under pressure. There were a few times when Ben would take 3 hits before getting the ball to a wide open TE or RB in the flat. Ben likes to force it downfield and a few teams used that against him. Pats and Jags come to mind.

Backup

User Info Menu

Hard to do with your QB hurt, being hit constantly and NO running game.
    Also hard to do with calling an offense to only possess the ball rather than score points like the rest of the NFL.