Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Steelers avoid mediocrity?

Legend

User Info Menu

Can Steelers avoid mediocrity?

Can Steelers avoid mediocrity?

There's little to suggest they'll avoid trap that snares even the best franchises

Originally Published: August 18, 2013
    By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

There are a few reasons to believe the Pittsburgh Steelers will bounce back from a mediocre 8-8 season in 2012: history, determination, pride. Then there is the reality: None of that will to help this team this coming fall.

The closer we get to this regular season, the more the Steelers look like they could be even less competitive than when they finished 8-8 last year. It's simply their time to struggle through the same stretch of futility that hits every organization eventually.

Optimists like to point to how Pittsburgh historically has played after missing the postseason -- the Steelers have made the playoffs in the season that followed their past three years without a postseason appearance. But it's hard to see the positives in this bunch. The offense has quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and a ton of questions. The defense is old and missing key performers from a unit that led the league in total yards allowed in 2012. Head coach Mike Tomlin remains among the best in the business, but even he doesn't have the ability to create miracles.

The Steelers' best hope may be that Le'Veon Bell emerges as a bruiser in the Jerome Bettis mold.

The Steelers, always a model of consistency, are basically facing the same challenges that all storied franchises must deal with sooner or later. Nobody stays dominant forever. The NFL is filled with too many roadblocks, too many traps for even the smartest of franchises. For a team like Pittsburgh, it's apparent that they don't have the goods to rise above those potential pitfalls.

The team's age is a major issue. Even after losing notable veterans such as James Harrison and Casey Hampton, there is still a lot of mileage on the defense. Star safety Troy Polamalu isn't nearly as disruptive as he once was, and cornerback Ike Taylor and free safety Ryan Clark are both 33 years old. There is young talent at linebacker -- where pass-rusher LaMarr Woodley and inside force Lawrence Timmons still roam -- but more help is needed.

The offense offers just as many questions. It has been years since Roethlisberger has taken snaps behind an offensive line that could be described as sturdy and it's anybody's guess as to how well he'll coexist with offensive coordinator Todd Haley this season. Those two were so disconnected by the end of last season that Roethlisberger was openly critical of Haley's play-calling after a loss in Dallas. Given Haley's fiery personality and Roethlisberger's stature, more fireworks are likely.

Roethlisberger should be more focused on helping the supporting cast around him mature in a hurry. The Steelers had an abysmal rushing attack last season (when they ranked 26th in the NFL), and they're hoping rookie Le'Veon Bell can headline a committee of running backs. The same uncertainty surrounds the passing game. Speedster Mike Wallace left for Miami during the offseason, putting pressure on Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to be major difference-makers in the coming months, especially after Plaxico Burress recently sustained a shoulder injury that could be career-ending.

The Steelers basically resemble every other legendary franchise that hits hard times. The San Francisco 49ers had their struggles in the mid-2000s. The Dallas Cowboys bottomed out in the late 1990s. Before the arrival of Robert Griffin III last year, the Washington Redskins had been a train wreck for most of the past two decades. The only thing that separated those franchises from the Steelers was the common denominator in their problems: gross mismanagement.

Pittsburgh has been the best-run organization in the NFL for the past 40 years, and the proof is in the hardware. No franchise has won more Super Bowls during that time (six) and few can match that consistency. The Steelers have suffered through only seven losing seasons in the past four decades. They've had only three coaches -- Tomlin, Bill Cowher and Chuck Noll -- during that run.

That level of success is the major reason it's so hard to envision their impending demise now. They've always beaten the odds. They've rarely stayed down for long. Just when it seems they've lost one too many key performers, another unheralded contributor steps up his game. This team seemingly can do no wrong at finding players to fit most pressing needs.

The Steelers have been so good in this department that they've never had to go on a spending spree in free agency. The coaches simply waited for their draft picks to grow up, step in and live up to expectations. But that formula will not be as reliable this coming fall. There are too many holes for the Steelers to fill. It's hard to believe they can be that fortunate at every position requiring an upgrade.

This team actually needs to get back to its roots before it ever can become championship-caliber again. Iconic Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward once said Pittsburgh is at its best when it has a strong running game and a dominant offensive line. Neither of those qualities has been seen around this organization in a very long time. As talented as Roethlisberger is at throwing the football, he'd be better off if Bell emerged as a bruising banger in the mold of Jerome Bettis.

It's anybody's guess as to whether that will happen quickly, if at all. The safe bet right now is that this is the third best team in the AFC North, a squad that might be lucky to reach .500 again. It's not that the Steelers don't have some potential. It's just that they don't have enough to sell the notion that their struggles will be easily resolved.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9574762/can-steelers-avoid-mediocrity[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

whats wrong with these idiot writers?? the MAIN reason was BB getting injured and missing 3 divisional games.. yeah there are other reasons as well, but thats the main one..

some of these "writers" make me sick... but more times than none, the STEELERS shut them up..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    This team actually needs to get back to its roots before it ever can become championship-caliber again. Iconic Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward once said Pittsburgh is at its best when it has a strong running game and a dominant offensive line.
    Funny how this is stated by a WR, one of the consummate Steelers of all time.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Backup

User Info Menu

Even if the Steelers go 3-2 after their first 5 games, and they should actually be 4-1, but even if they're 3-2, I can't see us being any worse then 11-5. But, for whatever reason, if we are worse then that, say another 8-8, or 7-9 because of poor O-Line play again, or because of Injuries to players like Troy, and/or Woodley is out of shape again, then I say the whole team needs to be torn apart. Dump Troy, Woodley, Gilbert, ect. Start over, get as many draft picks as we can, and offer up some REAL free agent money to some PRIME O-Line guys for Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Funny how all the detractors like to point out that we are losing key performers from last year.

In 2012 James Harrison was not a key performer.
    In 2012 Casey Hampton was not a key performer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    whats wrong with these idiot writers?? the MAIN reason was BB getting injured and missing 3 divisional games.. yeah there are other reasons as well, but thats the main one..

some of these "writers" make me sick... but more times than none, the STEELERS shut them up..
    Second most ignorant article I read today.

There is much to be excited about.

1) Second year in Haleys system with our star QB glowing about the way it's coming together
    2) Per our star QB, this is the best OL he has ever played with
    3) We have two young safeties who are showing promise, young ILBs showing promise, and we replaced an aging OLB with a first round draft pick.
    4) We finally have a running back...a real running back.
    5) Per Ryan Clark, Wheaton is already better than Wallace.

Nothing to be excited about? Pftt...you mean ALOT to be excited about.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Funny how all the detractors like to point out that we are losing key performers from last year.

Exactly.........

Starter

User Info Menu

After a 6-10 record in 2003 I can remember being very pessismistic going into the 2004 season then the Steelers shocked me and everyone else by going 15-1. After that happened I now go into the start of every new season an optimist.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

Not to go negative but that team was 8/8 too.
    This team is already the epitome of mediocre. As the article states BTW.

BTW JH led the team in sacks and had more tackles than all but one 3/4 OLBer in the league despite missing the month of September.
    The defense was pathetic before JH returned and wound up number one in yards allowed.

It is not easy to replace JH even as a shell of himself.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Nothing to be excited about? Pftt...you mean ALOT to be excited about.
    This might be the most exciting offseason since Bill Cowher first came to Pittsburgh. This team has cut ties with enough vets that we're building a new era of Steelers football. I can't remember this team being so deep at so many positions.

After a week at camp, I'm starting to believe we might be loaded for a couple of SuperBowl runs.