Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers look to trade Jerricho Cotchery ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Backup

User Info Menu

Should the Steelers look to trade Jerricho Cotchery ?

This is a story in the Pittsburgh paper today. And at first I thought...NO WAY! But then I started thinking about it. Alot of teams have suffered injuries at the WR position, the Chargers being one of them. I think if we could get a 5th rounder for Cotchery, I might do it. I mean in reality, what did Cotchery give us last season ?...17 total catches ? I know he is a great teammate and Locker room guy. But, if we keep 5 WR, a move like this could let us keep both Brown and Moye on the roster. Or, if say a TE becomes available, like say Joseph Fauria gets cut from Detroit, and who is a super tall TE who can catch, and Block better then average, we could take him off the Lions PS. The link is below, lets hear your thoughts.

[url]http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=262924[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here are my thoughts.....No. 5th rounders occasionally make the team. Cotchery is a proven veteran. No value comparison there. Subtract Cotchery and add Moye...we decrease our WR talent level for no apparent reason. Finally, it is usually good to keep a wily veteran at each position who can be a group leader. Age stratified position tends to be more stable than relying on a bunch of rookies.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Here are my thoughts.....No. 5th rounders occasionally make the team. Cotchery is a proven veteran. No value comparison there. Subtract Cotchery and add Moye...we decrease our WR talent level for no apparent reason. Finally, it is usually good to keep a wily veteran at each position who can be a group leader. Age stratified position tends to be more stable than relying on a bunch of rookies.
    100% YES to this
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We had a super tall TE last year. What did Pope do, catch maybe 1TD in the RZ? I thought he was going to do more for us, and it seems that either we just did not go to him much by ignoring him or by him not being open enough (or both). I kept yelling for Ben to throw it up and let him out-rebound the defense, but it didn't happen. I felt like Jack Nicholson playing McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, yelling "Jump Chief" over and over to no avail.

Really, we need for Heath to be the answer at TE. I have no problem with trading Cotch, but I doubt that will happen.

Rookie

User Info Menu

No. I hope that helps.

IMO, he's worth more than a 5th round pick...

Legend

User Info Menu

For a third? Yeah. Nothing less.

Backup

User Info Menu

A guy who is 31 years old, had 16 cathes last year for no TD's, HE is worthy of a 3rd rounder ? Ahhh, what color is the sky in your world ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    A guy who is 31 years old, had 16 cathes last year for no TD's, HE is worthy of a 3rd rounder ? Ahhh, what color is the sky in your world ?
    did I say he is worth a 3rd?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm mixed. Cotch is really good, so I see value in keeping him. Wheaton also looks ready to go making him expendable. Not sure if I said it already in one of my camp write ups last week, but I thought Cotch could be a surprise cut because of his salary, the fact that we don't need him, and because JD Woods is super talented. If we could end up losing Cotch and Manny next year anyway, I see Woods as the one with a big potential upside that I'd like to keep around to see if he can develop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is everyone forgetting that we already have a lack of proven pass catchers as it is? One trick pony is in Miami, Plax is on IR, Heath and Spaeth are out for awhile. Wheaton might turn out to be a steal but I'm not willing to take that gamble on a rookie when the return for Cotch is only a 5th round pick in 2014. I'm more focused on 2013, so you keep Cotchery.

Just my 2 cents.....