Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would Decastro have been rated amongst this year's guards?

Legend

User Info Menu

Where would Decastro have been rated amongst this year's guards?

Last season Decastro was the consensus top guard in the draft. The only other guard on the same page was Cordy Glenn who was drafted to play tackle. So, David D dropped all the way to #24 where the Steelers and their fans were thrilled to find him.

This year's draft featured two guards in the top 10, and another drafted at 20. So, my question here is where would our first rounder have been selected if he was available this year? Where would you think he would go?

1. Cooper (7)
    2. Warmack (10)
    3. Long (20)
    4. Warford (65)
    5. Winters (72)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Last season Decastro was the consensus top guard in the draft. The only other guard on the same page was Cordy Glenn who was drafted to play tackle. So, David D dropped all the way to #24 where the Steelers and their fans were thrilled to find him.

This year's draft featured two guards in the top 10, and another drafted at 20. So, my question here is where would our first rounder have been selected if he was available this year? Where would you think he would go?

1. Cooper (7)
    2. Warmack (10)
    3. Long (20)
    4. Warford (65)
    5. Winters (72)
    Maybe a little higher due to a bad QB draft but not much higher.

We rated him high.... but obviously the rest of the NFL felt like he was missing something. Players fall all the time but people were on here swearing up and down he wouldn't fall to us.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There was some really o-line hungry teams at the top end of the draft this year so he probably would have gone top 20. Is he has good as Warmack and Cooper?
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would put DD behind Cooper and likely behind Warmack, though it is probably close. Warmack is more powerful, but DD is more mobile. I would put DD well ahead of Long.

Now that he has had a year to adjust to the speed of the pro game, I'm optimistic that DD will end up as an above-average OG, if not a pro bowl caliber player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure where NFL.com comes up with their draft grades, but here's how they graded them before each draft:

DD - 92.5
    Cooper - 86.9
    Warmack - 93.9
    Long - 77

I think DD still goes first even last year because of his ability to move. It likely would have come down to DD vs Cooper going first and the personal interview/character/preference would have probably been the deciding factor.

I think they might have grade Warmack a little higher because of the talent surrounding him. Every Olineman that plays next to other good Olinemen looks better. So I do think Cooper/DD both go ahead of Warmack. The other thing in the power vs athleticim, most guys can work to get stronger, but you're either athletic or not.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is an interesting question, because I specifically recall last year hearing how DD was "the best Guard prospect since Hutchinson". Then 1 year later, and two others are on par or beyond DD (depending on who you ask). It is especially interesting because his slide to 24, had me quickly analyzing the teams ahead of us and who were passing him by (to my delight). One of those teams was Tennessee, who had signed Hutchinson to play Guard (I think he has since retired).

But I thought he was sure to get selected there, what with Hutch there, along with Bruce Matthews as his position coach and Mike Munchak as his HC. I was shocked that they would pass on him, and felt it might be a glimpse that maybe he was the supposed prospect that we have been led to believe.

I'm still high on the kid. But it is interesting how, one year later, they do take a Guard (Warmack).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    It is an interesting question, because I specifically recall last year hearing how DD was "the best Guard prospect since Hutchinson". Then 1 year later, and two others are on par or beyond DD (depending on who you ask). It is especially interesting because his slide to 24, had me quickly analyzing the teams ahead of us and who were passing him by (to my delight). One of those teams was Tennessee, who had signed Hutchinson to play Guard (I think he has since retired).

But I thought he was sure to get selected there, what with Hutch there, along with Bruce Matthews as his position coach and Mike Munchak as his HC. I was shocked that they would pass on him, and felt it might be a glimpse that maybe he was the supposed prospect that we have been led to believe.

I'm still high on the kid. But it is interesting how, one year later, they do take a Guard (Warmack).
    Not to mention also signing former Bills guard Andy Levitre to a six-year, $46.8 million contract this offseason.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Maybe a little higher due to a bad QB draft but not much higher.

We rated him high.... but obviously the rest of the NFL felt like he was missing something. Players fall all the time but people were on here swearing up and down he wouldn't fall to us.
    I disagree that the rest of the NFL thought he was missing something. He was still the first guard chosen in the 2012 draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's a great class for Guards but I think DeCastro would have been the highest rated for an offense that demands athletic OG's like Haley's Offense
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I disagree that the rest of the NFL thought he was missing something. He was still the first guard chosen in the 2012 draft.
    Not sure that means much... could mean he was the best of a mediocre bunch. Its odd how the draft flipped upside down last year but its a crap shoot. I just found it odd that the best guard fell to 24.