Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Day At Training Camp

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for the write-up Flip. Pretty cool you were there I have to say.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In other words, the James Harrisons of the world will dominante the Tim Tebows of the world every day of the week (and twice on Sundays).
    Or, another way, JPW was all over the fans, Ben avoided the fans...Who do you want under center week 1?

The thing with athletes is that htey are being watched 24/7. They don't get the benefit of the doubt for that one moment of indiscretion and many are wary of that. Imagine never being able to have a bad moment. That is why I never read much into the "I met him one time and he didn't sign my autograph" accounts. You never know if it is because the guy is a jerk or a good guy having a bad moment.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Or, another way, JPW was all over the fans, Ben avoided the fans...Who do you want under center week 1?

The thing with athletes is that htey are being watched 24/7. They don't get the benefit of the doubt for that one moment of indiscretion and many are wary of that. Imagine never being able to have a bad moment. That is why I never read much into the "I met him one time and he didn't sign my autograph" accounts. You never know if it is because the guy is a jerk or a good guy having a bad moment.
    Or if he already signed autographs for awhile and had to leave. Some people will still walk away disappointed and say "so and so is a d-bag, he didn't sign my autograph."

Starter

User Info Menu

Regarding autographs, I am taking a niece and nephew tomorrow. I have been to a 3 pm practice where players sign after the practice, but I have never been to an evening practice. Will players be signing before practice sometime or will they do it after the practice like they do in the 3 oclock practices?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes. I am on that for Justin Brown too. He has size to go with his excellent hands, good route running, and enough speed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks for the write-up, Flip. Lots of good news in there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Me too. He impressed me most as a receiver out of the wideouts who played in second half scrub time, plus he can contribute to ST's as a returner.
    I think the JB as a punt returner isn't going to happen because he wasn't working with those guys any longer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

I wasn' t trying to get anyone's autograph. Just noticing kids screaming there heads off for some of these guy and watching some of these guys stare at the ground and avoid any eye contact/interaction whatsoever.

As an example, Larry Foote was walking by and he had a group of people with him visiting practice. He walked by talking to everyone and told the kids he had people with him that he was hosting and didn't have time to stop and sign autographs. On the other hand, there were some guys like Woodley who walked by and seemed to pretend there was no one standing there whatsoever. Then there were guys like Troy that stopped and signed stuff for kids and didn't crack a smaile let alone say a word. He looked beyond irritated by the kids both days. Although he must have a major headache from the screams. Then there were a couple guys like Heath who seemed to flip a switch. He was walking by somehow ignoring the kids' screams and then must have realized what he was doing and then all of a sudden turned into a super engaging guy.

At the end of the day, I realize these are people and some are nice and some aren't. And these guys are really young for the most part and probably aren't aware of what they're doing or being intentional about it. But I'd say everyone could try to be nice. Larry Foote was nice even though he didn't sign anything. I don't even think an autograph is a big deal. Just high five a kid. Or smile. Or say hello.

I'm not trying to pass any judgement on these players. I guess I just feel bad that many of them don't seem to be enjoying themselves. Could you imagine how much fun you'd be having if you were a Steeler? I guess I'm more noticing some guys seem to love being there and I don't get why they all don't feel that way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't think Butler was a bad as people say he was last year. When you really look at the numbers, there's not that much difference between the #1 guy and the #32 guy. His gross avg was 43.6. He was within 7 yards of the #1 guy. His net was 39.2 and that was just under 5 yards from the top. People act as if punters are routinely booming 65 yarders and the Steelers have a guy hitting 30 yarders. It's just no true.
    I seem to remember all of Butler's booming punts coming when we were around the opponent 40 yard line. And I remember his worst kicks coming when we were backed up into our endzone.. I think his situational punting was far worse than his stats reveal. The averages are always going to look close no matter how good/bad a punter is because everyone has to punt some on a short field a number of times.

Legend

User Info Menu

On the autograph thing, I've never been to training camp, but I did hit spring training once. For the most part, the guys most willing to sign were the minor leaguers and the younger fringe players. The stars would jump into a tinted out SUV or whatever and blast through the parking lot. The younger guys spent a lot of time engaging.

I'm not sure if you have this as much with football, but there were a ton of adults trying to get signatures who very clearly intended to sell the memorobilia. I would be annoyed by that and wouldn't sign, either.

By the way, Flippy, thanks for the camp reports.