Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers CB Ike Taylor still driven by Pro Bowl berth

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers CB Ike Taylor still driven by Pro Bowl berth

Steelers CB Taylor still driven by Pro Bowl berth

By Mark Kaboly
    Published: Wednesday, August 7, 2013

One of the must-have traits for an NFL cornerback is impeccable timing.

When it comes to the Steelers' Ike Taylor, there are few in the league who can measure up to his physicality, run support and, most of all, his ability and willingness to guard the best receiver on a weekly basis.

But Taylor could work on his timing a little bit.

Taylor has put together back-to-back Pro Bowl-caliber seasons, but what he's remembered for is Tim Tebow picking him apart in the 2011 wild-card loss to Denver and Matt Hasselbeck doing the same last year in an embarrassing loss to Tennessee.

Both were on national television, and both seem to sully Taylor's otherwise impressive résumé.

“What I say to that is 11 years,” Taylor said. “Regular people don't even have day-to-day jobs for 11 years let alone playing in the NFL. They are going to say what they are going to say, but look at the tape.”

The tape is revealing.

Taylor allowed only 30 receptions last year before having his streak of 135 consecutive games snapped by a broken ankle; eight of those came against Tennessee. After the Titans breakdown, Taylor allowed only six receptions over his final seven games.

When Taylor gave up 204 yards to the Broncos, including the game-clinching 80-yarder to Demaryius Thomas in overtime, he had allowed an unheard of 28 yards per game during the regular season.

“I know a lot of guys in this league respect Ike,” cornerback William Gay said. “When a receiver gets on the field and sees No. 24, he knows what time it is.”

Taylor's reputation likely should be better across the league because he does what only a handful of cornerbacks do, and that's follow the best receiver wherever he goes. Taylor's been doing it since midway through the 2005 season, when he was assigned to Cincinnati's Chad Johnson and held him to four receptions and no touchdowns.

“Not too many guys do that,” Gay said. “Guys just want to play left or right. Ike can play right, left, slot. Wherever that No. 1 receiver goes, he's going. If he is in the backfield, he's going to play linebacker.”

Eight years later, Taylor still gets the top assignment every week and wouldn't want it any other way.

“That's not for everybody,” Taylor said. “Going against the toughest (receiver) week after week, not too many people want that. There are only about three guys doing that every week.”

But that has yet to translate into something Taylor desperately wants: a Pro Bowl. His theory: Taylor has just three interceptions over the past two years, but he has had limited opportunities because offenses rarely through his way.

“His physicality sets him apart from a lot of corners in this league,” receiver Antonio Brown said. “His toughness and how hard he works, and put that with his confidence, and that makes him one of the best.”

Still, that elusive Pro Bowl drives the 33-year-old Taylor.

“Is it a personal goal of mine? Yeah, sure,” Taylor said. “But feeling that my career is incomplete? Nah, man. I don't know what corners in this league have two Super Bowl rings, three Super Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl interception.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2bMn34W6D[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Would be great to see Ike get a pro bowl berth at least once. It would likely also mean that he's had a fluky season with a few more picks, which would also be nice.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm pulling for him to get one more Super Bowl win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice to see him get some recognition...even if it is only from Steelers writers and fans. Ike is very underrated.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    “Is it a personal goal of mine? Yeah, sure,” Taylor said. “But feeling that my career is incomplete? Nah, man. I don't know what corners in this league have two Super Bowl rings, three Super Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl interception.”
    Me neither, Ike...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with all that was said about Ike being a consummate pro. But I think a large part of that shutdown presence that they are trying to make him out to be is overblown. He's solid as a cover guy.But let's be honest: Nothing stops anyone from throwing his way. If I were a QB, I would throw at him without hesitation! 1) He's on MY best guy; I want my best guy to have opportunities with the ball in his hands 2) Ike has harder hands than Roberto Duran; Even if he has great coverage, he isn't likely to intercept the ball 3) Our system says a lot about his success in coverage too. It isn't like he's on his own Revis Island.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike has been great in our system but the guy cant catch worth a damn... this is why he doesnt get national recognition.

He gave some great answers too... real professional.

One thing tho, I think teams know our weakness is our LBs in the flat and this is why we missed the playoffs. The 6 receptions in the last 7 games is impressive but its similar to the #1 D stat. Its not that impressive when the turnover stat stinks.

Backup

User Info Menu

I like Ike, but, it's hard to forget that HE, and HE alone will go down in History as the DB who was " Tim Tebow's " B!tch in that playoff game. I mean how can he ever live that down ? He is a good CB. But not elite IMHO. Not top-20 in the league.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Give credit where it's due...you may say that you wouldn't hesitate to throw at Ike, but most QBs do...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Would be great to see Ike get a pro bowl berth at least once. It would likely also mean that he's had a fluky season with a few more picks, which would also be nice.
    I predict a Pro Bowl berth for Ike this season...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha