Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Al Woods earns Steelers highest grade in PFF evaluation

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Listen, no one here likes Gilbert. But, keep the racist stereotypes out of here. No one needs any of that.

I'm not being racist. In the draft when he came out it was reported that Gilbert had a past Gang related file, and was in trouble several times at Florida..( No Big surprise there ) It was also reported, I will try to find a link for you, that in High School he was busted for using and selling a popular drug mixture called The Purple Drank, or " Lean " This is a KNOWN drink of Gang Bangers throughout the Country. Look it up if you don't believe me. Now, it also was reported that in Gilbert's final year at Florida that he had supposedly cleaned up his act, and he did have by far his best season that final year. But at the time, I maintained that his overall Line grade was more due to the players he played with, then his own play.

But bottom line, he is just not a hard worker. He slothes around too much of the time. He doesn't need a talking to, or a motivation speech. He needs his Big Ole Butt kicked off this team. And is he is not, then for the first time EVER...I ahve to call into question Mike Tomlin's Character, and how he gives special treatment to BAD players on this team who just so happen to be...." Hommies "

And that is a valid point to sir.

Starter

User Info Menu

Did you really just question Tomlin's character by saying he gives special treatment to players because they are "Hommies?" May I ask you what you mean by "hommies?" Also, if you would, please name a few of the "hommies" that Tomlin has given special treatment to?

Thanks

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm merely giving some friendly advice. You are new here. We want to hear what you have to say. But, if you want to fill every other post focusing on people's pasts (which most of us have one) instead of game play, or use underlying racist undertones to your posts...you probably wont be well received. Just my 2 cents.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Did you really just question Tomlin's character by saying he gives special treatment to players because they are "Hommies?" May I ask you what you mean by "hommies?" Also, if you would, please name a few of the "hommies" that Tomlin has given special treatment to?

Thanks
    Yup, dude had me with him in defending himself......was gonna give the benefit.....until the "hommies" comment.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post

Thanks
    We had a poster back in the day who liked to say things like this about Tomlin..."overpaid janitor" etc. Racist undertones in many posts. Feels familiar. Hope I'm wrong.

Backup

User Info Menu

Thanks Shawn. And as for special treatment...I can say Gilbert. I can name Burress, who really had no right ever coming back here. But it was Tomline who insisted on it. Look, I like Tomlin. But, his overall approach to this team the past say, 3 years has been questionable. I am willing to give him a chance this season. But, if we continue with Lackluster play, and getting countless of penalties, which we have been among the league leaders the past several years just shows a lack of Discipline. You never saw us anywhere near the top of the league in most penalties when we had Cowher. I just think at TIMES....Tomlin sometimes wants to come off as being one of the " Guys " with the players, and being their friend. Rather then be a tough minded Head Coach who needs to Crack the Whip more.

I hope I'm wrong, and he gets tough on these guys this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Thanks Shawn. And as for special treatment...I can say Gilbert. I can name Burress, who really had no right ever coming back here. But it was Tomline who insisted on it. Look, I like Tomlin. But, his overall approach to this team the past say, 3 years has been questionable. I am willing to give him a chance this season. But, if we continue with Lackluster play, and getting countless of penalties, which we have been among the league leaders the past several years just shows a lack of Discipline. You never saw us anywhere near the top of the league in most penalties when we had Cowher. I just think at TIMES....Tomlin sometimes wants to come off as being one of the " Guys " with the players, and being their friend. Rather then be a tough minded Head Coach who needs to Crack the Whip more.

I hope I'm wrong, and he gets tough on these guys this season.
    From my understanding, Tomlin runs a much tighter ship than Cowher. Cowher was a players coach. While I agree with some of the undisciplined play comments, not sure that has anything to do with being easy on certain players or anything about these players being his "hommies".

Backup

User Info Menu

Shawn, Cowher was a players coach cause he knew when to crack the whip, and knew when to give a break. Like his long time.....Break from Training camp, and go to the Movies day! But, if a mental mistake was made, you can bet Cowher was all up in that players face, and if it continued, that player was gone. In the case of Woirlds, where he got two personal foul penalties, you can see Tomlin go up to him, but he never raised his voice, or got in Jason's face. In fact, it looked like to me that Jason just side stepped him with a look like he don't wanna hear it. Well I can guarantee you that if that were Cowher, Jason WOULD have heard it, and probably felt it as well with some spit flying into his face.

Sometimes when a team, even a team filled with vet players, if they fall off the wagon as it goes to preparing, and being disciplined, a coach HAS to come off like a ...well, a Pr!ck, and bring the Hammer down! And, I have not seen that Hammer from Mike Tomlin for some time now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Crack the whip? Dude, you're on a roll, you'll be gone soon I'm sure.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Shawn, Cowher was a players coach cause he knew when to crack the whip, and knew when to give a break. Like his long time.....Break from Training camp, and go to the Movies day! But, if a mental mistake was made, you can bet Cowher was all up in that players face, and if it continued, that player was gone. In the case of Woirlds, where he got two personal foul penalties, you can see Tomlin go up to him, but he never raised his voice, or got in Jason's face. In fact, it looked like to me that Jason just side stepped him with a look like he don't wanna hear it. Well I can guarantee you that if that were Cowher, Jason WOULD have heard it, and probably felt it as well with some spit flying into his face.

Sometimes when a team, even a team filled with vet players, if they fall off the wagon as it goes to preparing, and being disciplined, a coach HAS to come off like a ...well, a Pr!ck, and bring the Hammer down! And, I have not seen that Hammer from Mike Tomlin for some time now.
    That was early BC.
    His teams wound up tight in playoff games and choked against lesser teams.

Championship BC had learned to turn down the intensity big time.

Screamers with championships are rare these days.

Most GREAT coaches realize this truth.

FANS often marvel at the screaming "Sargent Carter" type coaches and QBs like Peyton as great leaders.

But it is the Nolls, Walsh's, QB's like Ben and Eli whose have multiple rings. Unlike Peyton when Santonio drops a TD, both Ben and Tomlin are perfectly CALM. Same guy makes the game winning catch.

I dont need Tomlin in a players face.

Sometime during this week Tomlin simply has to pull Jason aside and calmly state the truth.
    There is a rookie on this team who whats your job. We cannot afford that kind of mental mistakes by a 3rd year veteran.
    My decision WAS going to be tough.
    Keep it up and you make my job EASY. DONE

The best coaches are:

Calm and Assertive.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher