Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger hits a bucket bull's-eye

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger hits a bucket bull's-eye

[url]http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-roethlisberger-bucket-20130805,0,6488155.story[/url]

Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger hits a bucket bull's-eye

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's competitive instincts kicked in while he was having some fun at Pittsburgh Steelers training camp last week.
    (Keith Srakocic / Associated Press / August 1, 2013)
    By Sam Farmer
    August 5, 2013, 6:26 p.m.
    LATROBE, Pa. — Pittsburgh Steelers camp had a county fair feel to it Friday night, and it wasn't just because of the country band or the fireworks.

Ben Roethlisberger and the rest of the quarterbacks stuck around for an impromptu competition to test their throwing accuracy.

The targets were tall gray "buckets" -- two large trash barrels stacked on each other -- and the object was to land footballs in them. Participants got one point for hitting a bucket, two points for hitting the rim, and three points for sinking a shot. The buckets were placed at various distances to simulate different throws.

Tied with reserve quarterback John Parker Wilson at 11 points each, Roethlisberger -- who hadn't connected with a three-point throw to that point -- won with a surgical strike that plunked into the bucket. He smiled, pumped his fist, and sauntered off the field.

"That's him," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. "Ben finds a way to win, no matter what it is."

Not surprisingly, Haley is itching for a rematch after he was eliminated from the contest. He used to stage similar post-practice games when he was head coach in Kansas City, borrowing the contest from former quarterbacks guru Dan Henning.

"I would beat Jim Zorn at it every day," Haley said of the quarterback turned coach. "It would just kill him."

The best at the game? Vinny Testaverde.

"He was the master," said Haley, who was a New York Jets assistant when he got to know Testaverde. "We called him Vinny Buckets. His technique was perfect."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger not jealous of QBs with big contractsJim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports 1:41 p.m. EDT July 28, 2013
    [URL]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2013/07/28/ben-roethlisberger-not-envious-of-quarterbacks-who-signed-big-contracts-recently/2593349/[/URL]

Steelers quaterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has two Super Bowl titles, says he wants to win five -- one more than any other QB
    He said he is not envious of other quarterbacks -- even those without a title -- who recently signed contracts for more money than he is making

LATROBE, Pa. — One by one, Ben Roethlisberger watched the new members of football's $100-million club pass him on the quarterback pay scale.

It started at the end of February, with reigning Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco's $120.6-million payday — a record amount at the time — followed by Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford and most recently, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

With three years remaining on his eight-year, $102 million deal that will pay him $13.6 million this season, what was his reaction — especially to Romo, Stafford and Ryan, who are now earning more than Roethlisberger but have yet to win a Super Bowl?

"Congratulations to them! Good for them, good for their families,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports at the Pittsburgh Steelers' training complex at St. Vincent College. "For me, it's about this team.

"I've always said, 'I wanted to be set for life.' So what would another contract mean? It would mean my family would be set for life. So, good for those guys, they've earned it, they've played hard."

He added: "Being a quarterback is the toughest position in all of sports. And I'm not just saying it because I play it. I know how hard quarterback is to play.''

So, seriously, no jealousy?

"There may be some jealousy from the old fraternity of quarterbacks who used to play the game,'' he said. "But I support all these guys, Matt Ryan being the most recent one. Good for him. You're like, 'Whoa, that's awesome! Good for you.'"

With a $17.9 million salary cap hit next year, Roethlisberger said he is "not aware of any'' current extension negotiations going on between his agent Bruce Tollner and Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney.

Still, Roethlisberger, who was having an MVP-type season until rib and throwing shoulder injuries derailed the Steelers to 8-8 irrelevance, said he is consumed by a more important number than his salary.

"My goal has always been to win one more Super Bowl than anybody ever — I know what that means and that's what I have to do,'' said Roethlisberger, who has won two championships. "Five Super Bowl titles, that was always my goal.''

Saturday marked his 10th training camp since the Steelers selected Roethlisberger No. 11 overall from the University of Miami in the 2004 draft. After some draft-day wheeling and dealing, Eli Manning, selected first, went to the New York Giants and Philip Rivers, selected fourth, went to San Diego.

"I've always been an under-the-radar guy, it's the story of what I am right now, but that's all right,'' he said.

Roethlisberger characterized his relationship with second-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley as a healthier one after enduring stormy moments last season when the quarterback and coordinator butted heads. Roethlisberger chafed at one point early in 2012, slamming it as a dink-and-dunk offense.

Haley's charge was to preserve Roethlisberger for the long haul by designing a scheme to get the ball out of his hands quicker so Roethlisberger could avoid taking punishing hits.

"Any time there's one new guy who comes in and everybody else is the same and he's your boss, there's going to be some butting of heads,'' Roethlisberger said. "But it was blown way out of proportion. We get along great, even moreso now. We've had a whole offseason together. And he's passionate about it.

"That's why I'm so excited about this offense — one year of making it better. We threw out the bad stuff and kept the best of what we had. Hopefully, that's our playbook this year.''

The last time Roethlisberger played 16 games was 2008, when the Steelers last won a Super Bowl title. So his health is paramount for the Steelers to make another run at a league-record seventh Lombardi Trophy. Roethlisberger often has put his body on the line in a bid to extend plays, but the Steelers have paid the price with his injuries.

"I obviously want to play as many games as I can,'' Roethlisberger said. "I think I've been very unfortunate. I've had injuries. It's the style of game I play. "But I've been very fortunate not to have a real serious one, a season-ending ACL.

"I feel like my best football is yet to come. I don't feel like I'm old at all. I've been doing this 10 years, but I'm still only 31.''

Roethlisberger has made some tweaks to his training regimen to build up his core. He also has probably the best offensive line of his career protecting him. It's anchored by three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who is flanked by guards Ramon Foster and David DeCastro and book-ended by tackles Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams.

"No disrespect to anyone but they might be the best all-around offensive line unit that we've had since I've been here,'' Roethlisberger said. "They're young and they're cohesive. They seem to know each other with a sixth sense.''

As if to underscore the point, all five linemen pile off a golf court outside the St. Vincent College cafeteria for dinner.

"As we speak, all five of them show up together,'' Roethlisberger said, slapping hands with his protectors. "That's how it is with these guys.

"Every quarterback wants to throw the ball all over the field. But I want to win games, and in order to do that, you have to run the ball effectively and throw it effectively. I like what we have in terms of balance to win.''
    Last edited by fordfixer; 08-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, Ben isn't jealous that other QBs contracts have dwarfed his puny 100 million plus contract? This is news?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Probably a writer trying to bait Ben for an attention-seeking controversial story, so this is what Ben (smartly) left him with.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Haley says the best at the buckets was Testaverde? Does he mean Interceptaverde? HAAHAH!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Velocity is up for Roethlisberger

FRIDAY, 16 AUGUST 2013 WRITTEN BY RAY FITTIPALDO

Coming off a shoulder injury that forced him to miss three games last season, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wanted to try some different training methods during the offseason that would help him strengthen his right arm.

So Roethlisberger eschewed his usual routine in the weight room and did some cross-training, including kayaking throughout the spring and summer.

The results have been very positive through the first three weeks of training camp. Roethlisberger said Friday his velocity has improved from last season.

“My arm feels a lot stronger,” he said. “It feels like I get the ball down the field with better zip. Even the receivers and coaches say the same thing. To me, that was what was most important, making sure my arm stayed strong.

“For me, with my injury last year with my shoulder and chest area, I wanted to get my arm strength up and get stronger. I did different things. Things that are not traditional, but the receivers and coaches say my velocity has gone up, so that’s a good thing.”

Roethlisberger also said there have been no issues during camp with his right knee after surgery forced him to miss some time during minicamp in June.

“It feels really good,” he said. “Obviously, standing on it a lot and running on it can wear you down a little bit, but no setbacks and nothing negative.”

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/122325-velocity-is-up-for-roethlisberger[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha