Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday's first Pre-Season Game let us know what?

Saturday's first Pre-Season Game let us know what?

We are not a winning team right now and have so many problems that still exists....
    They looked just like they did at the end of the last season...An 8-8 team at best...

Winners show up to win even on the first Preseason opener...Check around the scores and see...

This season will show if Tomlin is a good coach or not......

Backup
    What did Green Bay do ? And I will bet you anything that they are a 12 win team this season.

I recently either heard on TV or radio that something like 75% (IIRC) of playoff teams do not have a winning pre-season record over the last many years. I forget the numbers but it makes sense.

Losing teams have big issues to work on. Who will start at QB, gelling on O and D, etc. Better teams are working on the details that turn them from good teams to championship teams. Depth, running certain plays, new schemes, etc.

Pre season is a time when you look at pieces of the whole, and the whole just does not matter. We had questions coming in, were they addressed? I'm not saying that the game was a success or a failure, but I will not be upset by the fact that we lost 18-13 in the first PS game.

Pro Bowler
    Win/Loss in the preseason means absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    We are not a winning team right now and have so many problems that still exists....
    They looked just like they did at the end of the last season...An 8-8 team at best...

Winners show up to win even on the first Preseason opener...Check around the scores and see...

This season will show if Tomlin is a good coach or not......
    I tend to agree with this.

Even though the starters saw very limited play, the overall story line seemed the same.

A lot of mistakes.... The coverage breakdown, the special teams, the penalties, etc. It's always something. Last year it seems like there were positives but they were still losing because mistakes and not necessarily lack of talent.

Pro Bowler
    It's just the first preseason game. Almost a full month left to work on things before that first game against the Titans on Sept 8th. I believe they will iron out the details. With that said; STs flat out sucked. For all the talk about a "renewed" focus in this area and bringing in a new coach; their play was downright atrocious. I can't for the life of me figure out why this has become such an Achilles heel for the team.

I'm pretty sure that the Steelers have had 1-3 preseasons in recent SB seasons. I'm not worried about preseason results.

Backup
    The Steelers were 3-1 in both of their recent Super Bowl winning seasons.

They were 1-3 in the 1995 preseason.

Backup
    They didn't win in 95 did they ? Bottom line is the actual results of pre-season are meanningless. But was is Important is to show constant Improvment amongst developing players during pre-season games. We still have 3 games left yes. But after the first one, it was not particularly positive. Especially early on.