Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Few PostGame Thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

What about Ta'amu? He looked unblockable to me last night. He blew up double teams, and pushed the center back 10 yards straight into the QB one time and almost snatched a sack. (I know, I know, second stringers, but he still looked good.) I'd rotate him in with the first team a couple of times and see what shakes loose. If it pans out, you could move McClendon to LE (for Ziggy) and Ta'amu would be the new NT. The dude's no fridge, he's more like an earth mover with turbos.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I want to see al woods running with the 1st team some.

he looks much quicker/stronger than ziggy, albeit against weaker competition.

be interesting to see what he looks like against top flight talent.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A few positives from my point of view. I think they'll be good on the D-Line with Woods and Ta'amu looking like they are ready to contribute. Hood and Heyward didn't do a lot in a limited time but they both look good, like they are in good shape. The new emphasis on making plays, instead of holding gaps, might be the release that Hood needs to be the type of player, I think he has the ability to be.

I like Robert Golden. He got in a few balls that he could have made a play on. I also have to compliment Markus Wheaton. He's little faster than I thought and has good body control and hands. The Steelers will be fine at receiver, because Cotchery is a good veteran and either Justin Brown, Derek Moye or J D. Woods will make a good fifth.

I think David Paulson looks good. He looks a little stronger and is a good receiving TE. With all the injuries at TE, even some of the most oppositional people should welcome back David Johnson if he can get healthy.

Will Johnson is a good athlete and threat on the swing pass.

Baron Batch is creative writer and artist but I don't think he's that good of a running back. Stephens-Howling is the blueprint for a small back. Shifty, quick, stays low and hard to find. I like Dwyer's commitment to conditioning but I didn't think his running was that much more impressive.

Never been that crazy about Chris Carter. He's a good athlete but I don't think he's a playmaker. Adrian Robinson looks pretty good. Someone in the group of McFadden, Wilson, Rolle and Williams will be a good addition. I assume Williams has the team made, though. Jarvis Jones played with a high motor, which I like, but has some work to do. I think he will get some sacks and help the team.

David DeCastro looked very good, but I still wonder if Gilbert is going to fall on anyone again.

They need health to take place in the secondary. Allen, Brown, Van Dyke and Hawthorne. I'm a little concerned in that area if help doesn't arrive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you don't think another team would most likely claim Landry jones if we tried to stash him on the PS?
    Maybe.

But for this season? He's not ready to play, and likely won't be for a year or two. You can't afford to give up an active roster spot for someone like that.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Maybe.

But for this season? He's not ready to play, and likely won't be for a year or two. You can't afford to give up an active roster spot for someone like that.
    Sure you can. Teams do it all the time...he won't be ready to start this year, no, but he may be ready to play if needed...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    What about Ta'amu? He looked unblockable to me last night. He blew up double teams, and pushed the center back 10 yards straight into the QB one time and almost snatched a sack. (I know, I know, second stringers, but he still looked good.) I'd rotate him in with the first team a couple of times and see what shakes loose. If it pans out, you could move McClendon to LE (for Ziggy) and Ta'amu would be the new NT. The dude's no fridge, he's more like an earth mover with turbos.
    I agree about T-mu. The dude was a beast. It was against back ups but I think that we saw why the Steelers were willing to give him another change. So much better watching him and McLendon instead of Fat Casey "occupying blockers."

Wouldn't McLendon and T-mu look great as a pair of 4-3 DTs?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I think David Paulson looks good. He looks a little stronger and is a good receiving TE. With all the injuries at TE, even some of the most oppositional people should welcome back David Johnson if he can get healthy.
    I was talking up Paulson early in the off season. I compared him to Pitta. Same size and speed exactly and at Oregon he was stellar. Great hands.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Sure you can. Teams do it all the time...he won't be ready to start this year, no, but he may be ready to play if needed...
    What indication have you seen that "he may be ready to play if needed" this season? I haven't seen it. Now, that may change before the final pare-down; he's talented and he may improve enough to give the team some hope of being ready to play...But if not, would it be wise to use up a roster spot on him? If they think he's the next Joe Montana, yes. If they don't think he will ever be anything more than a serviceable backup? Then I don't think so.

Right now he isn't even the third best QB on the roster.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    What indication have you seen that "he may be ready to play if needed" this season? I haven't seen it. Now, that may change before the final pare-down; he's talented and he may improve enough to give the team some hope of being ready to play...But if not, would it be wise to use up a roster spot on him? If they think he's the next Joe Montana, yes. If they don't think he will ever be anything more than a serviceable backup? Then I don't think so.

Right now he isn't even the third best QB on the roster.
    Opinions vary...JPW was better?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The saving grace is that if someone claims Jones from our practice squad, they will have to elevate him to their active roster. So far, I don't think he makes anyones active roster so we may be able to stash him.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.