Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay burned again.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Right everyone gets old but there are plenty of players in the NFL that stave off the age through extra work in the offseason. Ike Taylor is one of those guys and I don't expect to see him released by the Steelers anytime soon. The day Ike goes is the day Ike retires. IMO
    So sacrifice the future of the team to keep the high dollar non-playmaker, aging CB Taylor because he doesn't want to hang things up. I don't think so. Yes, hard work can certainly extend your career but come on....The extra hard work isn't going to magically drop 10 years off his age. I can't believe ANYONE would want to EXTEND Ike's contract at 34.5 years old. Your talking about a CB here.... not a QB, DL,OL or even linebacker.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It's the Steelers own fault that the CB situation is what it is....

If they resigned Lewis, they'd have their starting CBs locked up for several years in Lewis & Allen. Instead, they let Lewis walk for very reasonable money which was one of the dumbest personnel decisions in recent memory. You take years to develop a talent just to let him walk..... it's ridiculous.

This year, they COULD have had Ike, Lewis, Allen as the top 3. Next year, Ike will be gone but at least you'd still have Allen and Lewis as your #1 and #2. Instead, we CHOSE to have Ike, Allen and Gay as our top 3.

William Gay is a joke..... Good QBs will identify where he is and pick on him all day long like they've done in the past.
    Colbert stated they couldn't fit Keenan Lewis into their current structure. I guess they didn't believe they could had resigned Lewis. It's possible that Lewis wanted to go home to play in NO. Can't afford to keep every good player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I didn't see the game and haven't seen a replay yet, but I saw Troy and Clark both take responsibility on the long pass. Is there a different play where Gay got toasted?
    Nope, he's just an easy target when things don't go the way some would like them to go. They aren't going to rag on Troy or Ryan, so Gay becomes the target, although, watching the game, it certainly appeared to be Gay's mistake and not Troy and/or Ryan.

The established vets are probably trying to cover up for Gay a bit.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Colbert stated they couldn't fit Keenan Lewis into their current structure. I guess they didn't believe they could had resigned Lewis. It's possible that Lewis wanted to go home to play in NO. Can't afford to keep every good player.
    That's Colbert BS. They could have afforded to keep him.

Legend

User Info Menu

So sacrifice the future of the team to keep the high dollar non-playmaker, aging CB Taylor because he doesn't want to hang things up. I don't think so. Yes, hard work can certainly extend your career but come on....The extra hard work isn't going to magically drop 10 years off his age. I can't believe ANYONE would want to EXTEND Ike's contract at 34.5 years old. Your talking about a CB here.... not a QB, DL,OL or even linebacker.
    Since, there's no dead money next year, can't they cut him and then resign him to a more cap friendly deal that is commiserate with being a 35.5 year old cornerback?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know if it was BS. I do know that the Steelers didn't have much money to spend based on the salary capp numbers. They were not going to move heaven and earth to sign a good (Lewis) player. They didn't move heaven and earth to sign a better player (Wallace). The Steelers over came the loss of good young players in the past. What's done is done. No point harboring on it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Just guessing but if we had a starting CB injured, I think Gay would stay in nickel and someone else like Victorian or Brown would elevate.
    that's an even scarier thought...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

How?
    As stated we still have a ton of dead money if cut Ike. We dont have that kind of cap space.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't know if it was BS. I do know that the Steelers didn't have much money to spend based on the salary capp numbers. They were not going to move heaven and earth to sign a good (Lewis) player. They didn't move heaven and earth to sign a better player (Wallace). The Steelers over came the loss of good young players in the past. What's done is done. No point harboring on it.
    The Wallace and Lewis contracts aren't even close. One signing would be like moving "heaven and earth" (Wallace - 5 yrs/60 mil, 27 million guaranteed) and the other (Lewis - 5 yrs/25.5 mil, 10.5 guaranteed) was affordable and decent for a #1 or #2 CB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If he stays around he will likely restructure and the Steelers don't usually keep players past their desired level of effectiveness. I also find your comment about him being a non-playmaker comical considering the guy has never been able to catch the football. He's a staple on this team for a reason. As far as your latter statement is concerned should I run down the list of corners that remained effective beyond 34.5 years old? It's not a enormous list but it's still a decent sized one and not one still has or HAD the speed Ike has in his arsenal.